Big 8 Offseason Thread - 2010 Edition

formerblazer

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it how Jack votes me out of the club but allows me to come to the back door and get a burger....but I still have to eat it outside. There has only been one post of mine that Jack praised. But you got to go back quite a ways to read it. Otherwise, he is always going to be my stick in the mud.

Batman...you are right about the dicipline. It must be done from day one. Stacy Carter built South upon that very premise. But at Science Hill...well let's just say he might be backing up a bit. It's OK to sacrifice the first season to principle...but not the second one. But Batman, it was time for Fulmer to go. Just like it's time for Clark to go. Just like when it was time for Majors to go.

And Jack...you are right. We were left for dead after we got Kiffined. Picking up those pieces was a monumental task that goes on today. Is that enough excuse for the so-called lack of dicipline? No. But it is good enough excuse for most everything else. Is there a lack of dicipline? Well, maybe a little bit. I mean getting back to the spit shine polish of Peerless Price and Peyton Manning might just take a bit. But we will get there.

And yes, I bit on Kiffin's BS. Because I really didn't think it was BS. OK...hook, line, and sinker! But, I don't think I was the only one. To be honest...he should have stayed. We would have been National Champions. I think he knows he should have stayed.

But he left. Would I run over him on I81? You betcha'...

As far as discipline as South vs SH....the South boy is historically and presently tougher than the JC boy. It will take a lot of culture change to happen for that to be reversed. What you and I see as lack of discipline could very well be just a school mentality. Takes time to change that.

Kiffin....snake oil salesman. Heck of a recruiter, but I don't ever see him playing for a National Championship.

But Batman, Miami was the baddest of the bad boys clubs...they just didn't have Marcus Vick,

They were one of those teams you either hated or loved.I loved the 1985 Miami team for the twenty dollars I took by giving them 7 and taking Tennessee in the 1986 Sugar Bowl.Other then that I have never liked watching players act as if they were special and done it on their own.I love to see great hits but like to see a kid do it and act like he has been there before.I bet your son gave credit to his line when they opened up great holes,all though he didn't need much with those spins.

Edited by BatmanDB

I believe it is something like 9.2 in the rule book.It goes back as a matter of fact to the Miami team that done so many things

The rule addresses excessive celebration or unsportsman like conduct and leaves that up to the officials descration. It doesn't mention anything about a neck slashing gesture or a salute to the fans by a player. It is a huge mistake to leave the call up to the official. They could actually throw a flag if a player clapped his hands after a play if they choose. The rule was put in place because of the Miami team that is true. But they are taking it to far. If they are going to do this go ahead and tell us what you can and can't do. If they want to make the "neck slash gesture" a violation then make it a hard rule and be done with it. Maybe they want to use the rule as it is so they can pick and choose who to call it on. What about the "game over rule"? Am I right?

I remember when celebration was legal. I was young. But I thought it was the shiz. It got me pumped. You think they had the presence of mind back then when the rule changed to know that it would get bad and out of hand. To be honest...I miss some of that stuff. But yes, I know that without hard rules someone will take it to a new level of decadence. Some people just have no boundaries. So I guess Jack is correct in that they will have to make a hard rule because it is wrong to let the officials have jurisdiction over the severity and validity of a celebration call. But Batman, what is over the top for us could be common place for others. i.e. Tresevant. I know, I know...we all know right from wrong and when enough is enough. And yes, my son was taught from a very early age just as yours at home and in the studio the finer points of the art of the Eastern world. And his training continues today. I mean look at CS. He is a model of what we expect our young men to posess. You know and I know that regardless of outside training those things are taught in the home. So yes, it is a direct relation of the home experience. But then you must see the home. Our children grew up learning a dicipline that has no peer. But think of the inner-city kids and what they are subjected to. Most likely many of them must break the law to feed themselves. Doesn't make any of this stuff we are talking about OK but let's face it...not all children have the love, security, and empowerment that our children enjoyed. Could be why the inner-city kids are driven for success...even if it is disrespectful because they are so ecstatic to have risen above what they came from. No, it is no justification. But I don't think we will revert to the mentality of days gone by. I can see that this sport will at some point become to much of a liability for the school system to santion it. Tresevant is a perfect example of what will cause it's demise. Most coaching is based on the philosophy of dicipline and sacrifice and as long as that continues then we are headed in the right direction. As far as Dooley is concerned...I haven't studied him enough to know if he has what it takes to instill those life changing values. Because in the end, that is what success is based on.

I've won $15,000 in Best Buy gift cards today. Thanks guys!

Jack...tis' better to give than to receive. You ever give blood? I could use some Plasma. Maybe you could give me a ride to Best Buy tomorrow. I heard they had a deal on Plasma. You could use your gift card to give to the Plasma bank and I could get hooked up. Now that we're singing Kum bah yah and all.

fine, take it to the NCAA forum where it belongs. Anyone viewing this forum shouldn't have to sift through your off topic bs to read up on the titled subject of the thread.

If you will give me your address I'll call the police and tell them someone is holding a gun to your head and making you visit this thread.

The rule addresses excessive celebration or unsportsman like conduct and leaves that up to the officials descration. It doesn't mention anything about a neck slashing gesture or a salute to the fans by a player. It is a huge mistake to leave the call up to the official. They could actually throw a flag if a player clapped his hands after a play if they choose. The rule was put in place because of the Miami team that is true. But they are taking it to far. If they are going to do this go ahead and tell us what you can and can't do. If they want to make the "neck slash gesture" a violation then make it a hard rule and be done with it. Maybe they want to use the rule as it is so they can pick and choose who to call it on. What about the "game over rule"? Am I right?

UT has a lot of money and some great lawyers.It seems as if the ncaa can let the refs rule on 9-2 as they see fit,they can also change when a game is over or not.If it was so cut and dry,UT would have had the game given back to them.

Descration?????? Your options are desacration, dissapation, discretion, constipation.