Greeneville vs. Trezevant

sportsfan93

Wonder if they have ever had tailgaters for a practice lol. Is the practice open for guests? May have to call the Rollins' and fire up the grills and have our own famous chicken. What you think?

Coach has invited fans to tonights practice....tailgating sounds good! Call Big T and Pat and lets get the party started! Go Greene!

Great article about Bj in the Press. Fritz is proof of the whole blind squirrel theory.

Spradlin key in Greeneville’s rise to dominance

By Douglas Fritz

Press Sports Writer

dfritz@johnsoncitypress.com

Greeneville’s rise to state powerhouse didn’t really start last season.

Nor did it begin when William Carmichael transferred to play for the Greene Devils.

The building block for this impressive journey toward the first state football championship in school history was the arrival of B.J. Spradlin four years ago.

“I’ve said it before and I think it’s a true statement: B.J. has meant more to this football program than anybody who has ever played here,†said Greeneville head coach Caine Ballard.

The 6-foot, 205-pound senior running back will try to help Greeneville earn a gold ball Saturday. The Greene Devils (14-0) play Memphis Trezevant (13-1) in the Class 4A state championship game at Tennessee Tech University with kickoff set for 4:30 p.m. (ET).

Spradlin started a few games as a freshman, and has been in the lineup ever since. He put up good numbers last year, but combined with Carmichael he has been a terror to opposing defenses this season.

That was never more evident than in Friday’s 17-7 state semifinal road win over Nashville Maplewood. With his team leading 14-7 in the fourth quarter, Spradlin got a carry. And then another. And then another.

By the end of the drive, Spradlin had carried the ball 14 times in 15 plays and 7:40 was gone off the clock. And Ben Ogle’s field goal had pretty much sealed the outcome.

“B.J. is just a competitor,†said Ballard. “He loves to compete, and loves to play in big games. I’ve seen him after his 20th carry in a game and he seems to get better and better.â€

Spradlin said he certainly felt the sting of being a workhorse for almost eight straight minutes against Maplewood.

“Yes sir, I was very, very tired,†said Spradlin. “My legs started to burn. And when you take that much impact, it takes a toll on you. But I just set my mind to finish. It was just adrenalin that kept me going. I said I’ve got to do this.â€

That type of determination is one reason the Greene Devils appear poised to conquer the state. Another reason is because they came so close in last year’s title game against Giles County, losing 21-14.

Spradlin said the players have pushed themselves to return and earn what they couldn’t earn last year.

“It has been a great motivation for the team,†said Spradlin. “We want to finish.â€

Spradlin was born in Greeneville and said he wants to be part of bringing home a title.

“I’ve been watching Greeneville play since I was little,†said Spradlin. “It’s something you think about, but never think it’s possible.

“Hard work in the offseason has made it possible. Everybody put in twice as much effort, and Coach Ballard did a great job of motivating us.â€

Spradlin is the inside complement to Carmichael’s outside attack. They have lived in nearly perfect harmony in an explosive backfield, and the statistics prove it.

Carmichael has rushed for 1,721 yards while Spradlin has racked up 1,701. And they have evenly split 52 touchdowns.

“He helps me a lot,†said Spradlin, a student of the game who enjoys film study. “He has helped the team accomplish what we have accomplished. But we feel that everybody has to do their job in order for good things to happen. It’s a great offensive attack.â€

When the season is over, Spradlin plans to turn his attention to college football. Tusculum has already offered, and Carson-Newman may offer as well.

“I really just want to play somewhere,†said Spradlin. “Money is a big issue, so if I can get some good scholarships that would be great.â€

Spradlin said his biggest influences have come from right at home.

“My father and my mother,†said Spradlin. “Dad coached me in little league, and always taught me how to tackle and how to play.â€

:roflolk: What a joke!.......Alcoa was up 42-0 on Besty and pulled all the starters with 8:30 left in the 2nd qtr. because the coaches saw the besty team trying to start fights. oNE player told me they keep spitting in their face trying to provoke them. net FOOTBALL IS SAD.

The little greene boys would get hammered in 3A,5A, or 6A. FACT! :thumb:

Lets go Greeneville bring that gold ball back to East TN...Good luck!!! :thumb:

Lets go Greeneville bring that gold ball back to East TN...Good luck!!! :thumb:

What was Trezevant's travel arrangements? Friday travel and stay? Sat and what time? Will this affect their play? I think it could since Greeneville's trip was fairly short. Just asking for opinions?

What about an injury update?

And as far as Alcoa goes? Congratulations on another dominating season and Gold ball!!! If they and Greeneville do play next year, I'm all for it. Great crowd and two good teams only making each other better. It a regular season game with no postseason effect (more or less). We can jaw then, but let's support each other!