6A State Championship: Maryville v. Smyrna

MHSRebels

young doesnt play for OR, your thinking of bearden, and to say bearden who got SMASHED by maryville twice woulda beaten smyrna? no lol

Dang your absolutely right. Thanks for pointing that out, I knew I shouldn't have tried to think about anything that late at night. To correct myself, I believe OR would have given Smyrna a very good game. I was just thinking about DY and how he was such an electrifying player and I was afraid that Smyrnas RB was similar to him in that aspect and he was not. My bad, thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Congratulations to our Rebels. This team fought on when most teams would have given up. Thanks to our Seniors for there leadership we are going to miss you guys. Patton you were amazing to play the way you did when you were hurt shows your dedication to this team. Offensive blocking was great. Zack you're always a star. Colquitt's punting was right on. Prevo you are going to be fun to watch the next couple of years. Defense was outstanding best game of the season! Coaching what can I say except you can't be beat. Way to go Rebs!

How bout them Maryville Rebels. State Champs again. This one was the sweetest under Quarles. All I heard all these years was Maryville will never be able to compete with the BIG BOYS. Those kids showed the heart of a champion. When Maryville's quarterback got hurt I thought Maryville was beat. But! Those young men have that never say die attitude.

I agree with some of these posters that said the punter won the game for Maryville. All of Maryville's special teams were huge. No one in the state had better punter and kicker this year. Both Zack Sharp and Greg Colquitt will be missed.

Joseph Watson played great last night. I am glad he is a junior. In matter of fact Maryville returns a lot of starters on defense next year. Maryville returns 3 players from a very good secondary. Almost all of Maryville's DT are sophomores. Marshall Knoll,Taylor Spivey and Nic Heinemen. Plus the other DT is a junior. At Linebacker Tommy Wilkerson and Nick Coode will be missed but Nathan Miranda,Will Murrin and Trace Fuller will be very good. I am excited about our returning defense.

I am even more excited about Maryville's offense next season. Patton Robinette is a stud QB. RB will be very good. All the OL returns.

Maryville Rebels

Jason Phillips played on the 1999 team. That was GQ's first team. The counterfeit scandal happened in the 2000 season. Nick Giles and Scott Wilks were the 2 QB's that got in trouble over that.

Congrats to Maryville! Very fine football team you guys have out there. I was impressed with the way they tackled and the way your offense was ran. Your coach knew Smyrna's weakness right off tackle and exploited it all night. The only other team to do so this year was Ensworth and it worked for them as well. Smyrna's D last night did not look like Smyrna's typical D. I believe the threat of the pass had Smyrna playing on there heels more than attacking. As I said in an earlier post in middle TN. teams do not throw the ball much and good QB's are usually just good rushers so I believe that had a lot to do with it. I do think Meadows not playing def. hurt Smyrna but you probably couldve ran the same thing just to the other side. He would've made a dramatic difference though I mean hes our best player. No excuses though you did what you had to when it mattered and Smyrna didn't. Now as for Smyrna JB you played your heart out buddy and I hate to see you go but I can't wait to see you strap it up on Saturdays and show the big east what your about. To Deon same thing man wish you could've played but I realize you have bigger fish to fry and couldn't risk hurting it worse. To the rest of the seniors thank you for four great seasons and giving us a lot to cheer about. As for next years team lick your wounds and get ready to stop mathers and Davenport next year as that is the only chance you have of getting back. Sign off.

Congratulations to our Rebels. This team fought on when most teams would have given up. Thanks to our Seniors for there leadership we are going to miss you guys. Patton you were amazing to play the way you did when you were hurt shows your dedication to this team. Offensive blocking was great. Zack you're always a star. Colquitt's punting was right on. Prevo you are going to be fun to watch the next couple of years. Defense was outstanding best game of the season! Coaching what can I say except you can't be beat. Way to go Rebs!

Congrats for sure, one thing is for sure Maryville can play with the big boys. Shout out to my boy Romburg, he played well, Smyrna certainlly was a very good team and played hard but, they didn't stop Maryville before the half with the QB at that point suffered an injury and then could not take advantage of the 87 total yards Maryville had in the second half, see the call may well give all the Smyrna's fans that we got ripped and cheated card to play but, the matter of the facts are they could not did not and was unable to beat Maryville with BACKUP QB's. The TV announcer certainlly was trying to soften the blow by pumping up the Smyrna schedule, lets see Maryville played and beat West Semi finalist in 5A, Oak Ridge who beat the mighty Riverdale team (Maryville beat OR twice) Bearden with the best back in the state (twice) Farrgt (Twice) Knoxville Catholic, point being Mr. Announcer I think Maryville played a tough scedule as well, certainlly considering they beat the team that beat the so called best your area had to offer twice...Way to go Maryville and ALL EAST TENNESSEE TEAMS THAT BROUGHT HOME THE GOLD....

Congrats for sure, one thing is for sure Maryville can play with the big boys. Shout out to my boy Romburg, he played well, Smyrna certainlly was a very good team and played hard but, they didn't stop Maryville before the half with the QB at that point suffered an injury and then could not take advantage of the 87 total yards Maryville had in the second half, see the call may well give all the Smyrna's fans that we got ripped and cheated card to play but, the matter of the facts are they could not did not and was unable to beat Maryville with BACKUP QB's. The TV announcer certainlly was trying to soften the blow by pumping up the Smyrna schedule, lets see Maryville played and beat West Semi finalist in 5A, Oak Ridge who beat the mighty Riverdale team (Maryville beat OR twice) Bearden with the best back in the state (twice) Farrgt (Twice) Knoxville Catholic, point being Mr. Announcer I think Maryville played a tough scedule as well, certainlly considering they beat the team that beat the so called best your area had to offer twice...Way to go Maryville and ALL EAST TENNESSEE TEAMS THAT BROUGHT HOME THE GOLD....

The backup QB thing is getting beat to death. I wasn't going to say nothing but Smyrna had there two starting LB's out and had a corner playing LB so lets stop with the backup QB crap.

Congrats to Maryville on winning the 6A title and another great season! You guys can play with the big boys I for one have never thought any different! You always have great players and great coaching no doubt about that! :thumb: Congrats to Smyrna on your great season and playing Maryville very tough! Nothing to hang your heads about that is for sure! :thumb: Two great programs playing in a great game and we sure can't ask for any more! Best wishes in the offseason! :thumb:

Edited by warhawks

if you guys want, we can move the ball back up 5 yards from that illegal motion penalty and you can botch the snap again.

The penalty meant nothing because the execution of the field goal was poor. 5 yards further back or not, it wasn't like he missed the field goal short because of those 5 yards. He didn't get the chance to kick.

Both teams had injuries, but HELLO? that's part of football. Sorry Meadows couldn't play, he would have made a dramatic difference. But another dramatic difference? Robinette didn't play the second half. Of course, this is 100% speculation, but the way the offense was moving the ball, MHS would have won by 2 TD's IMHO if Robinette wouldn't have gone down. Guess what? he did. And the two backups stepped up. They didn't win us the game, but they didn't lose it either. That's all they were asked to do.

Your linebackers being hurt is part of football. You gotta play with who CAN play. Both teams played who COULD play, and Maryville won.

Congrats to both teams on a wonderful season. Smyrna played some tough teams to make it, but so did Maryville. Comparing schedules doesn't change the outcome, as gokarns90 pointed out.

Well first and foremost congratulations to Maryville. This was the first time I've seen Maryville play and I was impressed. I truly believe Meadows was missed in this game. Robinette not playing for Maryville is the equal to meadows not playing for Smyrna. I hated that penalty being called on the 4th down. Momentum had changed hands and Smyrna was driving and that was a ridiculous call. It had no bearing on the play and the ref had already been too involved in the game up to that point. He was calling motion before the guys were even set. Just a shame he called it at that particular time. I know one bad call shouldn't cost you a game, but IMO it certainly changed the game. There were other factors on both sides that contributed to the game. Just didn't like the call and Smyrna seemed to be shell shocked when they came out for that field goal.

I'd also like to give a shout out to #45. He is a special RB.

Once again congratulations Maryville on a well deserved win.

I suppose the right gaurd moving just before the snap had no bearing on the play. Wait didn't the play go the same direction?