6A State Championship: Maryville v. Smyrna

MHSRebels

What a game!

Congratulations to the mighty mighty Red Rebels on bringing home another gold ball! Way to go boys! I'll reiterate what I said last week: we couldn't be more proud of you for the way that you represent your school, your families and our community.

Some observations:

- Missing your star d-lineman for a whole game does not equal missing your star qb for half a game

- Maryville is a machine. As a fan, I got worried after the opening drive. Two series later, I caught up with where the boys already were and got comfortable and confident.

- Smyrna brought the right gameplan for 90% of the game. It was like watching the Alcoa game all over again...pounding the rock lead to success. Alcoa ran one whack series against us where they got away from that, and I prayed that they would keep it up. Too many teams try too many things when there's no reason to get away from the bread and butter and it gets them beaten against such a well-coached squad.

- With our QB, I do think the score spreads out much larger. I've seen MHS settle in and take control too many times to think otherwise. Just like I predicted a turnover when Smyrna went 2-minute drill in the first half, I predict that they would have made mistakes after falling behind by 2 td's early in the second half if we had been able to keep running our standar offense.

One question:

Why didn't Jacob West carry the ball more? I understand that Prevo was doing a great job and so was Robinette when he was in the game. But when our backup QB's were in the game, it seemed to me like running him would have been a better option than running the quarterback. I'm sure there's a reason, because I know GQ is always right.

Congrats again to the Rebels!

One question:

Why didn't Jacob West carry the ball more? I understand that Prevo was doing a great job and so was Robinette when he was in the game. But when our backup QB's were in the game, it seemed to me like running him would have been a better option than running the quarterback. I'm sure there's a reason, because I know GQ is always right.

Congrats again to the Rebels!

papa....Jacob spained his ankle against Cyunts Hill...Eye thank sat out tha Farrah-Gut playoff gaim...and onlee played one series agin Oke Gridge....Butt he gutted hit out and did sum grait blockin' fer Shawn and Patton...Jacob iz a do everthang kinda player...Unselfish and tuff....Just what a true Red Rebel looks like... :thumb:

papa....Jacob spained his ankle against Cyunts Hill...Eye thank sat out tha Farrah-Gut playoff gaim...and onlee played one series agin Oke Gridge....Butt he gutted hit out and did sum grait blockin' fer Shawn and Patton...Jacob iz a do everthang kinda player...Unselfish and tuff....Just what a true Red Rebel looks like... :thumb:

Thanks for the info. You're absolutely right about Jacob. He's falls right in line with so many of the tough RBs Maryville has had over the years who don't get D1 type consideration. I'm thinking of the Michael Potter, Chris McCord, Kat Kimsey type players who do whatever is asked of them and get business done for the Rebels.

Thanks for the info. You're absolutely right about Jacob. He's falls right in line with so many of the tough RBs Maryville has had over the years who don't get D1 type consideration. I'm thinking of the Michael Potter, Chris McCord, Kat Kimsey type players who do whatever is asked of them and get business done for the Rebels.

Heard from one of the coaches that Jacob kept telling GQ to "Give him the ball" talking about Prevo. West was ready to block for the kid behind him, because he knew the kind of game Prevo was having. That's unselfishness at its best. He would rather Prevo have the ball, running behind his lead block than him carry the ball himself.

Congratulations to both teams! I dont post a lot, but I would like to hear from the players of both teams. I never got to play in a State Championship Game so I dont know what it is like. Its about the young men and their coaches, so could some of you participants share some "war stories". A favorite play, a memory that you will never forget, some words of a coach you will never forget, etc.

Good job to both teams, it was a great game! Thanks for the memories!

Congrats to the Rebels on the win.

As for my Bulldogs, I know it is disappointing to be so close and not come away with the win. But there is nothing to be ashamed about. You had a great season. Thanks for the memories. Look forward to next year.

Now, as for the rumbling of the few. Would you please stop calling for the firing of Coach Williams. He lead his team to the STATE FINALS. What are we going to do, fire the head coach every year that we do not win the title? Come on folks enough already. I could understand if we went 4-6 and got blown out in all of our losses. They won the district tilte and beat some of the best talent this state has to offer. Give the man and the team the credit they are due. Go Dawgs in 2011!!!

Heard from one of the coaches that Jacob kept telling GQ to "Give him the ball" talking about Prevo. West was ready to block for the kid behind him, because he knew the kind of game Prevo was having. That's unselfishness at its best. He would rather Prevo have the ball, running behind his lead block than him carry the ball himself.

This is a testament to Jacob and also to the coaches who have installed the team before self mentality in that program. That is great stuff. To be a senior and be so selfless that you will do whatever benefits the team speaks volumes about this kid. It is ironic that you made this post because I have wondered throughout the year what he thought about a freshman coming in and getting what would be his carries. He definitely laid some lead blocks for him Sat. night.

This is a testament to Jacob and also to the coaches who have installed the team before self mentality in that program. That is great stuff. To be a senior and be so selfless that you will do whatever benefits the team speaks volumes about this kid. It is ironic that you made this post because I have wondered throughout the year what he thought about a freshman coming in and getting what would be his carries. He definitely laid some lead blocks for him Sat. night.

Thanks jake...But Jacob is only a junior.....!!....... :thumb: