Baylor vs. Ensworth

reed11588

Great game. I really want to commend both schools for their exemplary dedication to diversity in athletics. Few schools in our state can afford to assemble such an impressive number of students who, both large and small, can run the 40 in D1 completive times. It is truly an impressive and enviable accomplishment.

For those who don't speak the code, let me interpret: "It is inconceivable to me that any African-American family could, on their own, recognize the value of a prep school education. Certainly none of their children could qualify academically. And no African-American family could ever afford the tuition at one of these instutions, or could apply for financial aid, or would seek loans to send their sons here. No, there has to be something nefarious going on, recruiting, coupled with unseen benefactors."

That's what you we trying to say, but lacked the requisite anatomical parts. Nobody raised these issues when the schools in this division fielded top-flight teams composed solely of white players.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First the disclaimer: I'm an MBA man. I hate Ensworth. Not with the rivalry-type animosity I feel for Ryan, which extends no further than the football team. I'm talking a full blown hatred of the entire institution, a hatred that stems from the contempt I feel for their benefactor, who pouted when the Board of Trust informaed him that MBA was not for sale. I'm hoping a band of Vikings raze the school to the ground, burn everything there until there's nothing left, bury the ashes, and sow salt on the ground. In a word, I don't much care for them.

Wow- Over the years I have received many sideways glances when I express my views about the Blue side of the Baylor/McCallie rivalry. It is obvious that I have work to do.

Edited by mtnrasslin

My use of the term "blame" is more in response to those who are saying here and elsewhere that EHS's last two wins are the product of bad calls. I certainly don't mean to malign the kids at Baylor. I've had a soft spot for them since the MBA game (despite the unpleasant outcome, from my perspective). They don't have the athletes some of the other schools have (EHS and BA especially), but they play so well together, and make so few mistakes, and punish their opponents mistakes without fail. Like most good MBA teams, the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts. They got away from that Thursday, and it cost them. Much to my dismay.

Thanks for your response KW. I agree with your comments about the Baylor team--they played well as a team all year. I wasn't barking at you about the use of the word "blame"

My hat is off to you KW. I am strictly an amateur when it comes to rivalry!

Mtnrasslin, I thought people looked at me funny when I suffered momentary rants of Red issues. I'm glad to know I am not on an island alone!

Off to Cookeville to watch "Baylor North" as the Div I boards refer to them. Of course, I will not wear any red!

Wow- Over the years I have received many sideways glances when I express my views about the Blue side of the Baylor/McCallie rivalry. It is obvious that I have work to do.

I see no point in calling a spade a shovel. Notice, though, that I compliment their teams when appropriate (though the words nearly choke me), and I will defend them in unsubstantiated recruiting claims. I'm not charitable, but I am fair.

I do have a large supply of torches and pitchforks, and can equip a large and unruly mob if someone can produce some evidence of wrongdoing. And the Vikings are on retainer.

For those who don't speak the code, let me interpret: "It is inconceivable to me that any African-American family could, on their own, recognize the value of a prep school education. Certainly none of their children could qualify academically. And no African-American family could ever afford the tuition at one of these instutions, or could apply for financial aid, or would seek loans to send their sons here. No, there has to be something nefarious going on, recruiting, coupled with unseen benefactors."

That's what you we trying to say, but lacked the requisite anatomical parts. Nobody raised these issues when the schools in this division fielded top-flight teams composed solely of white players.

Wow racism and ignorance, please raise you kids to be just like you so the world will be a better place.

My point is that there is an unfair assumption that any black athlete at a private school is there illegitimately, as if no black family could independently see the value of a prep school education or provide it to their children, children who could never qualify for the school academically. The original post was racist, but couched in a way that wasn't so overt or openly offensive. I simply did him a favor and removed the weasel words.

Wow racism and ignorance, please raise you kids to be just like you so the world will be a better place.

While I have not been posting for very long, I have been reading the DII-AA boards for a couple years, and I can say without hesitation that I have found KWoodroof to be neither ignorant or a racist.

Edited by repo

My point is that there is an unfair assumption that any black athlete at a private school is there illegitimately, as if no black family could independently see the value of a prep school education or provide it to their children, children who could never qualify for the school academically. The original post was racist, but couched in a way that wasn't so overt or openly offensive. I simply did him a favor and removed the weasel words.

I didn't realize you are a member of the dreaded Race Police. Were you deputized by Al Sharpton or The Reverend Jessie Jackson? Whoever your sponsor is, it is impressive you can deliver the dreaded R accusation by merely reading a post about a high school football game and then assign racist tendencies. There is a position for you at the ACLU.

Personally, as a descendent of Nordic ancestors, I am greatly offended that a person of your demonstrated sensitivity would so callously assume that Vikings would have anything to do with burning down Ensworth although I'm sure there would be a lot of loot available: You know, iPads, North Face fleeces, Michael Kors watches and accessories, etc.

I didn't realize you are a member of the dreaded Race Police. Were you deputized by Al Sharpton or The Reverend Jessie Jackson? Whoever your sponsor is, it is impressive you can deliver the dreaded R accusation by merely reading a post about a high school football game and then assign racist tendencies. There is a position for you at the ACLU.

Personally, as a descendent of Nordic ancestors, I am greatly offended that a person of your demonstrated sensitivity would so callously assume that Vikings would have anything to do with burning down Ensworth although I'm sure there would be a lot of loot available: You know, iPads, North Face fleeces, Michael Kors watches and accessories, etc.

The fact that the racism charge is often made gratuitously doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Unless your snide commendation of diversity in two top prep schools was aimed at the presence of white players, I'm pretty comfortable with calling you a racist.

You fail to recognize the situation the independent schools face here. In the late '70's the federal government began to hint at a revocation of the provision that allowed cash gifts to us to be tax deductible, based on the fact that we excluded black students. Such a move would be devastating to our endowment funds, which provide a great deal of the money used to run the schools: tuition alone doesn't cut it. No matter how good the school is, it can't function without cash. Ask the people at Wallace, Duncan, or Castle Heights, among others. Trick question, you can't. they all closed. They ran out of money.

So we made great efforts to integrate our student bodies. And in return, we attract remarks like yours, suggesting that the presence of black student athletes in our schools is somehow indicative of wrongdoing on some level. Pray tell, what can we do in this situation to be "right?" Allow black students, but only with the proviso that they cannot participate in athletic activities?

Lastly, I don't think I'm particularly sensitive, and I certainly don't support any of the liberal persons or causes you ascribe to me. I'm a retired cop, hardly a field for the sensitive and easily shocked. In my day, I was regarded as a good interrogator. One of the first principles of interrogation is that upon accusation, innocent people deny the charge, while the guilty obfuscate. If not in my first post, certainly in my second, I accused you of racism. Note that your response begins with an attack on me, and moves on to discuss your Nordic heritage. You never deny the accusation. You'll throw it in now, of course, since you've been reminded of what non-racists would do in your position.

I have a number of friends in Sweden and have travelled there and Denmark extensively. They've taken in a massive number of refugees, from Somalia and Yemen, the former Yugoslavia, and the Middle East. It's become an extremely diverse culture. Racist acts and statemenst are not only frowned upon, they're punishable. You may claim them as ancestors, but I suspect they're not very likely to claim you.