D2 1A Knox Webb Yes a Wing T team

D2 2A Ensworth Not a Wing T team

1A South Pittsburg Not a Wing T team

2A Signal Mountain Yes a Wing T team

3A Alcoa Not a Wing T team

4A Greeneville Not a Wing T team

5A Columbia Not a Wing T team

6A Maryville Not a Wing T team

So out of 8 Championships in Tennessee this year we have exactly two tams that used the Wing T. The 'Best' a Wing T team did in any classification above 2A was Hendersonville and they got beat 28-7 in 5A.

Now I never claimed to be a football genius, but the plain facts above leads me to believe the WingT does NOT do well above the 2A classification in Tennessee. Yes, I also know Hillsboro did win it a few years ago in 4A but to be honest that was a fluke! <_<

OK. Lets look at them REALISTICALLY.

D2 1A Knox Webb Yes a Wing T team

D2 2A Ensworth Not a Wing T team

1A South Pittsburg Not a Wing T team

2A Signal Mountain Yes a Wing T team

3A Alcoa Not a Wing T team

4A Greeneville Not a Wing T team

5A Columbia Not a Wing T team

6A Maryville Not a Wing T team

So out of 8 Championships in Tennessee this year we have exactly two tams that used the Wing T. The 'Best' a Wing T team did in any classification above 2A was Hendersonville and they got beat 28-7 in 5A.

Now I never claimed to be a football genius, but the plain facts above leads me to believe the WingT does NOT do well above the 2A classification in Tennessee. Yes, I also know Hillsboro did win it a few years ago in 4A but to be honest that was a fluke! <_<

I think Bennie Monroe would argue that point with some of the great Cleveland Teams. As far as personell needed........smaller linemen are better as opposed to big ones......you guys really dont know much.

I think Bennie Monroe would argue that point with some of the great Cleveland Teams. As far as personell needed........smaller linemen are better as opposed to big ones......you guys really dont know much.

OK, as you supposedly know so much more that the WingT is superior, CONVINCE ME.

I am a reasonable human being and will listen patiently to your argument for it.

For that matter ALL you WING-T lovers convince me!

OK, as you supposedly know so much more that the WingT is superior, CONVINCE ME.

I am a reasonable human being and will listen patiently to your argument for it.

Multiple teams in California run and win with the wing t. Check this link.

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/article/20101209/HSSPORTS01/12090304/Porterville-s-Wing-T-offense-leading-program-s-turnaround

Read the comments, two of the teams mentioned there won state championships this year with it. It happens all over the country. At least three teams in the finals were running it.

You actually make yourself look a little narrow and limited by being so dead set against it without doing more research on it and knowing what it is capable of. Its used all over the country very successfully.

Glad you are back from your surgery, old nemesis.

I don't run the offense, but these are the reasons I hate defending it.......

1. It relies on angle blocking which gives smaller lineman the advantage of using leverage, quickness and technique rather than sheer stregnth.

2. Plays are derived in series form so that the defense is forced to honor all gaps at all times. The element of misdirection leaves the backside of the defense at home and gives cut back lanes for runners on the frontside.

3. The passing game becomes legitimate because teams must honor the run in 2-3 different running gaps every play. The secondary can be exploited and lulled to sleep.

4. With the use of the shotgun, a wing-t team can effectively become a 2x2 spread team by bringing their slots in just a few steps. Thus, they can run wing-t running plays and for the occassion when they fall behind they can use a spread passing philosophy to give them a chance to get back in the game.

5. It has become less used, so defenses have to take more time to prepare for it. It is like the option in college football. D1 schools always have a tough time with option based teams because they rarely see that style offense, which makes you stay gap committed.

I don't run the offense, but these are the reasons I hate defending it.......

1. It relies on angle blocking which gives smaller lineman the advantage of using leverage, quickness and technique rather than sheer stregnth.

2. Plays are derived in series form so that the defense is forced to honor all gaps at all times. The element of misdirection leaves the backside of the defense at home and gives cut back lanes for runners on the frontside.

3. The passing game becomes legitimate because teams must honor the run in 2-3 different running gaps every play. The secondary can be exploited and lulled to sleep.

4. With the use of the shotgun, a wing-t team can effectively become a 2x2 spread team by bringing their slots in just a few steps. Thus, they can run wing-t running plays and for the occassion when they fall behind they can use a spread passing philosophy to give them a chance to get back in the game.

5. It has become less used, so defenses have to take more time to prepare for it. It is like the option in college football. D1 schools always have a tough time with option based teams because they rarely see that style offense, which makes you stay gap committed.

finally...........an intelligent post on the subject!!

(3) points

1.) Check out Auburn...........you'd never know that Malzahn (old ex HS wing coach) is using the hound out of "wing" blocking and he is "spreading" the field. Auburn runs that old sideways jet sweep that LOD thinks is useless..........uhh so does Oregon, but you cannot win with that type offense in big time Tenn 6A football, but either one of those teams will win the Nat championship at a slightly higher level

2.) Hendersonville was a average HS team this year........but beat (2) teams in the play-offs that had much better players...........WHY?? patient wing offense.

3.) Lost Old Dad.............you are so clueless; that you are actually funny. The coach at Riverdale has the most consistent offense in that league, AND was very young this past season. The Warriors will be the bad dog next season. Coaches in your league hate defending Riverdale; you just hate Aydellott!

finally...........an intelligent post on the subject!!

(3) points

1.) Check out Auburn...........you'd never know that Malzahn (old ex HS wing coach) is using the hound out of "wing" blocking and he is "spreading" the field. Auburn runs that old sideways jet sweep that LOD thinks is useless..........uhh so does Oregon, but you cannot win with that type offense in big time Tenn 6A football, but either one of those teams will win the Nat championship at a slightly higher level

2.) Hendersonville was a average HS team this year........but beat (2) teams in the play-offs that had much better players...........WHY?? patient wing offense.

3.) Lost Old Dad.............you are so clueless; that you are actually funny. The coach at Riverdale has the most consistent offense in that league, AND was very young this past season. The Warriors will be the bad dog next season. Coaches in your league hate defending Riverdale; you just hate Aydellott!

To go along with slag;

http://www.bucksweep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2295&page=1&pp=10

Sure are lots of state champions that are loving the wing t.

One thing that must be remembered about those Cleveland High teams. Coach Borders learned how to run the Wing T from Coach Monroe and ran the the exact same system from the 6th to 8th grades at Cleveland Middle. Even the exact same terminolgy. By the time Coach Monroe got them, the players involved knew all the ins and outs of what Coach Monroe would run.

LOL I am not necesarily a Wing T lover. But I appreciate it's strengths, while mindful of it's weaknesses.

One thing that must be remembered about those Cleveland High teams. Coach Borders learned how to run the Wing T from Coach Monroe and ran the the exact same system from the 6th to 8th grades at Cleveland Middle. Even the exact same terminolgy. By the time Coach Monroe got them, the players involved knew all the ins and outs of what Coach Monroe would run.

I wish we had that set up here..Middle school does what high school does...when i lived in gallatin we did that we may have gotten beaten in "jr high" school but high school was very successful...while i am not a fan of the wing T i wish that they would start at middle school same EVERYTHING that way when they got to high school that would be one less thing they would have to teach...when Chrisitanna opened it started that way but it has gone away from that and I wish it would get back to it