So are you happy with 8 State Champions?

Stonewall

The following is from the Alcoa Student Handbook:

ADMISSION OF NON-RESIDENT STUDENTS (TUITION STUDENTS)

Students residing outside the boundaries of the school system may apply to attend Alcoa High School. The director of schools and principal must approve admission. Permission for tuition students to attend the Alcoa City Schools will be granted on an annual basis. The tuition fee required of all students residing outside the boundaries for the 2010-2011 school year will be $500.00. (Note: Tuition amount subject to change, pending school board approval.) Tuition fees are due and payable on the first day of each trimester.

It appears that the "school zone rules" that you reference simply do not apply in this case. Why is this school allowed to play in DI and dominate against schools that indeed do have the zoning restrictions to which you allude? This seems to be a huge advantage. DII also has no zoning restrictions. DII does allow financial aid (based solely on financial need) for athletes, but it is not 100% of tuition - all students at all DII schools, even those students receiving financial aid, pay far more than the $500 annual fee required at Alcoa. It seems to me that Alcoa, and any other current DI schools that have similar "open zoning" policies, should be placed in DII. That would put Alcoa in DII-AA (playing against Ensworth, BA, MBA, Baylor, MUS, et al) rather than in DI-AAA. Does anyone know the rationale of the TSSAA for allowing what appears to be a patently unfair system? Please feel free to discuss.

Could someone PLEASE call whine11? Keep hating the winners man. They are allowed to play against DI schools because they are a public school. Nothing is stopping the other DI schools from taking tuition students. In fact, why wouldn't they? I could only think that the schools buildings and teaching capabilities aren't large enough.

If your son was a decent athlete and wanted a ring on his finger, but lived in the county, you would pay tuition and send him to Alcoa or Maryville as well :) Unfortunately, you don't have this problem :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump BA up to AAA? You are kidding right? Before the split occured to division II There were 5 classes A through 5A. BA VOLUNTARILY played up in 5A and won two championships (95 and 96) beating Riverdale and Jefferson County. Nobody had to tell them to play up they did it on their own, that is why the cryout for something to be done and as they say the rest is history.

When the initial talking came along there were only 3. The 5 came later. but then how many years did they play in that division? BTW, if you look now the regular season is cheduled as A, AA, AAA; only in the post season do they break into 6.

And now the outcry about Alcoa and Maryville running out such strings of championships. You gonna demand they move to Div II now? :D

I remember Cleveland High losing to Brentwood in the AA Championships 7 - 0 in 82, I think it was. Clevelnd went toe to toe with them, and while not winning Brentwood had all they could handle.

I can actually remember back far enough to remember that the District Champions played each other, then the Region champs then the State Championship. Only a 3 game championship run. And every game counted in the regular season because you had 8 District Opponents (at least our District was that big).

Edited by alt1958

Could someone PLEASE call whine11? Keep hating the winners man. They are allowed to play against DI schools because they are a public school. Nothing is stopping the other DI schools from taking tuition students. In fact, why wouldn't they? I could only think that the schools buildings and teaching capabilities aren't large enough.

If your son was a decent athlete and wanted a ring on his finger, but lived in the county, you would pay tuition and send him to Alcoa or Maryville as well :) Unfortunately, you don't have this problem :)

Thanks for the lecture, but you did not answer the central question I raised: if DI schools are not limited to accepting students that are zoned for their school, what is the difference between DI and DII? I am not whining (I live nowhere near Blount County, my children are very happy at their DII school and my son does have a championship ring); I honestly do not know the answer to what seems like it should be a simple question. If you know the answer, please help me out with this. We would love to have some of these "open zone" schools in DII.

Bump BA up to AAA? You are kidding right? Before the split occured to division II There were 5 classes A through 5A. BA VOLUNTARILY played up in 5A and won two championships (95 and 96) beating Riverdale and Jefferson County. Nobody had to tell them to play up they did it on their own, that is why the cryout for something to be done and as they say the rest is history.

When the initial talking came along there were only 3. The 5 came later. but then how many years did they play in that division? BTW, if you look now the regular season is cheduled as A, AA, AAA; only in the post season do they break into 6.

And now the outcry about Alcoa and Maryville running out such strings of championships. You gonna demand they move to Div II now?

From 1993-2008 the classes were 1A-5A in football there was no A,AA,AAA anymore for football, enter Z-plan in 2009 that is when for district alignment purposes and the addition of 6A A, AA, AAA came back into play because of mixture of 5A and 6A (AAA)in some districts. As for your question on how many years they played in it I don't know, but since 5A was created in 93 they won it it 95 and 96 at the most 4 and for sure 2. As for the cryout for something to be done I wasn't talking about Alcoa and Maryville I was talking about the cryout for something to be done about BA which there was . DII started in 1997 and the rest is history.

And now the outcry about Alcoa and Maryville running out such strings of championships. You gonna demand they move to Div II now?

From 1993-2008 the classes were 1A-5A in football there was no A,AA,AAA anymore for football, enter Z-plan in 2009 that is when for district alignment purposes and the addition of 6A A, AA, AAA came back into play because of mixture of 5A and 6A (AAA)in some districts. As for your question on how many years they played in it I don't know, but since 5A was created in 93 they won it it 95 and 96 at the most 4 and for sure 2. As for the cryout for something to be done I wasn't talking about Alcoa and Maryville I was talking about the cryout for something to be done about BA which there was . DII started in 1997 and the rest is history.

Congrats to Greeneville. They are state champions. Without "taking away" any team's victory I would agree that we would do fine with four classifications, maybe even three. But keep in mind that it works both ways: Maryville would have had to "go through" Greeneville, who had a fantastic team this year.

REALLY!

• 3 weeks later...

The real interesting observation I might see is if the TSSAA needs extra money, how much are they losing by as many schools going out of state and not getting the ticket revenue and is it because of as many classifications. There evidently is a scheduling problem. Look at the TSSAA bulletin board. Someone needs to buy scheduler software and use it.