Signal Mountain 4A 2011-2012

Dodge

You won't play "my" team in the future because it doesn't exist anymore. But why do you care if other teams/fans hate the team? Isn't that a good thing?

I'm glad your graduation rate and school GPA is high. That's a plus for the Chattanooga area, but smart kids can cheat, steal, lie, and even drink a few beers while underage. I can attest to that myself.

The TSSAA does not have a seperate investigating branch that looks at those things. Coaches and fans turn teams in ALL THE TIME and nothing happens. 3 or 4 teams had to turn E.K. Slaughter in at Cleveland but then nothing came from it. Why will talented athletes and winning programs find each other? Are all the talented kids zoned for these winning programs? Just because you win doesn't mean talented athletes will come flocking to your school. Signal Mountain isn't a college or a private school. You have to follow the rules. Signal had a kid that played significant minutes and scored touchdowns that lives on Highway 58. How does that happen? You don't have to go out to someones house to recruit them FYI.

And just so everyone knows, one kid did get punished for the state championship game but it wasn't the kids that were caught drinking. A player skipped class and was punished for the state game but the kids that were cited for underage drinking were allowed to play... that seems fair? <_< The coach broke his own team rules to give the team a better chance to win.

Fans will keep hating Signal Mountain because of these reasons and you can't really do anything about it. Signal fans choose to become oblivious to these things because they are winning and they will support their school NO MATTER WHAT. I'm just a big proponent of following the rules and doing things the right way no matter what the situation. You coach is known around the state as a recruiter and a shady character but you choose to ignore that too. But I guess that is just a part of being a fan. It's always good to win and I LOVE winning but I'd rather lose than cheat. But that is just my opinion.

So if an out of zone student plays for a team, they have obviously been recruited? Maybe their parents want them to attend that particular school. Maybe the school's reputation for excellence attracted them. Whether you agree or not, parents have the final decision on where they want their kids to go to school. Many are committed enough to establish residency after a fashion. A lot send their kids to schools with open enrollment policies and not surprisingly, these are often schools with a level of superiority in academics and athletics. Success is irresistably attractive. Everyone wants to be a part of a successful program and its relatively easy to make that happen in most cases. Is it inequitable? maybe, but not much in life is fair. But for the most part schools operate within the guidelines set forth by TSSAA so its is difficult to call it cheating. Of course my team has an open enrollment policy so I am a tad bit biased.

t M BORO BLACKMAN BLAZE SHOULD BE A REALITY CHECK FOR THE EAGLES.MAYBE WE CAN GET ON THEIR BLOGS AND GET THEM FIRED UP.SORRY ALL THE SMALL TEAMS DROPED YOU AND YOU HAVE TO PLAY A STRONG TEAM WITH ONE OF THE BEST RUNNING BACKS IN THE STATE

We want to play them and yes he (RB) looks like an awesome kid. I am excited about coming up there and playing them.

Blackdiamond we are a public school not a private.

And about our schedule, South Pittsburgh and Trousdale County are not cupcake programs. I would bet that both of these teams could go deeper in the playoffs in 3a and 4a than most 3a and 4a programs. Anyway we will see whats up this year.

Sounds like your just another jealous hater here in the Chatt Area. By the way who is your team?

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

http://www.signalmou...esfootball.com/

I agree. Trousdale and South Pitt aren't slouches,and either of these teams could play up a classification and would have great success.

IMO a lot of people are jealous of the success you've had so fast.I say more power to ya! Class warfare...it's a sad thing that's being indoctrinated into kids these days.

So if an out of zone student plays for a team, they have obviously been recruited? Maybe their parents want them to attend that particular school. Maybe the school's reputation for excellence attracted them. Whether you agree or not, parents have the final decision on where they want their kids to go to school. Many are committed enough to establish residency after a fashion. A lot send their kids to schools with open enrollment policies and not surprisingly, these are often schools with a level of superiority in academics and athletics. Success is irresistably attractive. Everyone wants to be a part of a successful program and its relatively easy to make that happen in most cases. Is it inequitable? maybe, but not much in life is fair. But for the most part schools operate within the guidelines set forth by TSSAA so its is difficult to call it cheating. Of course my team has an open enrollment policy so I am a tad bit biased.

Not always recruited but most definitely ineligible. I went to a private school and kids would come in every year before and after I graduated that were ruled ineligible because they did not move from the 10-20 mile radius and ended up having to go back to public school. I do see strong athletics does make a school more appealing but Signal Mountain did not have much "tradition". They played a JV schedule their first year and now they have finished their second year playing a varsity schedule. And how can one judge the academics of a school after it has been in existence for only a couple years? Just because the principle or teachers say the school offers a "college preparatory" curriculum and has some of the best teachers in the city doesn't and will never give your 3 year school more clout than say Baylor or McCallie. There were kids that left my "college preparatory" private school (that had a faculty full of solid teachers with degrees from some prestigious universites and even taught at Baylor or Mccallie in the past) to attend Baylor or Mccallie.

I've just had experience in the past with things like this and have talked to coaches and fans of other schools in the area that wonder how certain kids are eligible to play sports at Signal Mountain mostly due to where they live.

But nothing will ever be done and it's a moot point now. I don't consider myself biased either because I have no official ties to any schools that Signal Mountain plays or around the area in fact. I enjoy the game of football and issues like breaking the rules and unfairness/cheating/whatever you want to call it really bothers me because there are teams and coaches that do follow the rules and go about things in a way that would bring honor to the game and the coaching profession. Oh well! That's the way the world turns though. You won't hear much more out of me about it. I feel like I've said enough as it is! Let's just all be happy! :flower:

Not always recruited but most definitely ineligible. I went to a private school and kids would come in every year before and after I graduated that were ruled ineligible because they did not move from the 10-20 mile radius and ended up having to go back to public school. I do see strong athletics does make a school more appealing but Signal Mountain did not have much "tradition". They played a JV schedule their first year and now they have finished their second year playing a varsity schedule. And how can one judge the academics of a school after it has been in existence for only a couple years? Just because the principle or teachers say the school offers a "college preparatory" curriculum and has some of the best teachers in the city doesn't and will never give your 3 year school more clout than say Baylor or McCallie. There were kids that left my "college preparatory" private school (that had a faculty full of solid teachers with degrees from some prestigious universites and even taught at Baylor or Mccallie in the past) to attend Baylor or Mccallie.

I've just had experience in the past with things like this and have talked to coaches and fans of other schools in the area that wonder how certain kids are eligible to play sports at Signal Mountain mostly due to where they live.

But nothing will ever be done and it's a moot point now. I don't consider myself biased either because I have no official ties to any schools that Signal Mountain plays or around the area in fact. I enjoy the game of football and issues like breaking the rules and unfairness/cheating/whatever you want to call it really bothers me because there are teams and coaches that do follow the rules and go about things in a way that would bring honor to the game and the coaching profession. Oh well! That's the way the world turns though. You won't hear much more out of me about it. I feel like I've said enough as it is! Let's just all be happy! :flower:

Well I am sorry you feel that way, I am very proud of our boys. Hope you keep going to games all over the Chattanooga area, the last thing any of us want is someone to be turned away from this great sport. I went to RB and the "recruiting" was wild then too.

Oh and we have played 2 years varsity, we went 2 rounds deep in our 1st year of varsity play. And as far as tradition, you are correct. Not alot here on this old mountain, but I think we are gonna change that. We are excited about our program because we have been trying to get a HS up here for 40 years and we finally got it.

About our academics:

http://www.signalmountainhighschool.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=67&Itemid=122

Edited by realmenwearred

Well I am sorry you feel that way, I am very proud of our boys. Hope you keep going to games all over the Chattanooga area, the last thing any of us want is someone to be turned away from this great sport. I went to RB and the "recruiting" was wild then too.

Oh and we have played 2 years varsity, we went 2 rounds deep in our 1st year of varsity play. And as far as tradition, you are correct. Not alot here on this old mountain, but I think we are gonna change that. We are excited about our program because we have been trying to get a HS up here for 40 years and we finally got it.

About our academics:

http://www.signalmountainhighschool.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=67&Itemid=122

I would not worry about all this stuff on recruiting, it has been said before build it and they will come. The TSSAA set the rules we just play by them. If a kid wants to go to another school let him, if it is inside the rules. Just keep doing what you are doing and we will see you in the playoffs. Go BIG GREENE :thumb:

4A STATE CHAMPS

Yes you are public, that was sarcasm. Trousdale and S. Pitt are good programs. And being athletes tend to produce athelets...I agree, they probably could compete at the next division. Overall, the football in Chattanooga has been week. The last PUBLIC school to win a State Championship was....Red Bank. And they have historically been good. Now that Signal built a school and pulled close to 300 students out of Red Bank and caused a re-zoning, and you can zone skip and the economy tanked and a lot of folks pulled their kids out of private...perfect storm and you are the recipiant...got the kiss. Not your fault...Signal benefitted. If I had a to put a child in a public school in Chattanooga, without a doubt Signal. Newest facility and all the money and they were able to hire great teachers from the lower paying private schools plus get the cream of the crop out of the public. You have to admit...signal is like a private school....just not the tuition. Do you not remember when it was suggested you were to be called the "Thoroughbreds"!

I am a support of all teams. High School sports are the best!

Blackdiamond we are a public school not a private.

And about our schedule, South Pittsburgh and Trousdale County are not cupcake programs. I would bet that both of these teams could go deeper in the playoffs in 3a and 4a than most 3a and 4a programs. Anyway we will see whats up this year.

Believe me I would rather take a loss here and there than go waste our sweat on a team that we beat by 50+ points or more.

Sounds like your just another jealous hater here in the Chatt Area. By the way who is your team?

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

http://www.signalmou...esfootball.com/

You reload in Chattanooga by being able to zone skip. When most of the schools are failing, you can choose where you go. Signal is the cheapest private school in the city. Playing CCS and Sequatchie...CCS has had football what? 5 years maybe...it is a soccer school...Sequatchie had a good team when? Recruiting is just a way of life in Chattanooga.

Sequatchie Co. was pretty good last year. Made it to the second round. Held signal to its lowest half point total at 14.(It was only 14-0 at half, and Sequatchie had TD called back before half was over. Also SM blocked a punt that lead to 7 points.) Also,in 09 SM only beat Sequatchie 29-26, scored on last drive with 13 seconds to go in game. Sequatchie Co. is a solid ballclub and has shown big Improvement every year. They will be good again next year, and should compete for the district Championship.

"Dubious tactics to acquire athletes"....hmmmmmm,how does that work?sneaking around backyard football games looking for talented 11 year-olds and luring them up the mountain with pie? There is a governing body that investigates those "issues"...but as long as OOZ players and schools follow the rules there isn't an issue. As long as talented athletes and winning programs exist, they will find each other.

Tyner's coach said in the paper a couple of years back high school coaches from all over the city attended his feeder schools games and watched along the fence. They might not talk with players or parents but parents notice them and if they're the ones starting conversations it lessens the chances of official rulebreaking.

Sequatchie Co. was pretty good last year. Made it to the second round. Held signal to its lowest half point total at 14.(It was only 14-0 at half, and Sequatchie had TD called back before half was over. Also SM blocked a punt that lead to 7 points.)

A blocked punt led directly to a touchdown, pressure on the punter led to another. Give credit to Signal for those, blame Sequatchie for not doing better. A long run of about 30 yards was called back on a disputed penalty-a blindside block on a cutback run was called a clip somehow and after being backed up, Sequatchie's intereption quickly led to another score. Sequatchie had a touchdown pass called back for a disputed chop block, also had a pass into the end zone rule incomplete when everyone from the visiting side still believes it was a touchdown. Both of those were in the first half, not during any garbage time. Signal may have went on to win anyway but the game could have been much closer.

I'd not heard about the "Highway 58" player, I've seen nothing about SM being a partner school with Chattanooga Central, wouldn't this be a violation?

A blocked punt led directly to a touchdown, pressure on the punter led to another. Give credit to Signal for those, blame Sequatchie for not doing better. A long run of about 30 yards was called back on a disputed penalty-a blindside block on a cutback run was called a clip somehow and after being backed up, Sequatchie's intereption quickly led to another score. Sequatchie had a touchdown pass called back for a disputed chop block, also had a pass into the end zone rule incomplete when everyone from the visiting side still believes it was a touchdown. Both of those were in the first half, not during any garbage time. Signal may have went on to win anyway but the game could have been much closer.

I'd not heard about the "Highway 58" player, I've seen nothing about SM being a partner school with Chattanooga Central, wouldn't this be a violation?

That's because they aren't partnered with them. I don't know how it isn't a violation. It baffles me to this day. The kid has been playing there for a couple years but does not live on Signal Mountain or in Hixson, Red Bank, Marion County, Sequatchie County etc. I've heard the excuse for why the kid is going there but I don't know how it could hold any water with the TSSAA.