CPA Releases Mathews

CPA4Ever

I know first hand I am right as to the reasons to stay D1, and that was before Maddux. They were already playing Goodpasture in football (as well as Riverdale and other big schools) and Lipscomb in basketball. They also made a decision to not let athletics skew their decision making in giving scholorships, which going DII will always do.

The Maddux hire was a mutual desire. Drew wanted the atmosphere at CPA, but he is a fierce competitor and good coach. They were glad to get that as well. if it was all about wins and money, the AD would not have coached the women's BB team the last few years before this year.

Instead the girls bball team went and plucked DA's coach, who by the way has a stud sophomore post player as a daughter. Her title "Director of Student Services"....but I'm sure she left Davidson for a "loving Christian environment" and not a pay raise, and a cushy job, and a chance to WIN a state title this year. I'm sure that didn't factor in at all.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach, YOU started this part of the thread on the premise that the school had NOT been honest with Mathews about the premise for his evaluation as a coach. "just be honest" you said. My main point is that it is patently absurd to continue to assert that ANY coach takes on a job believing that wins and losses don't matter. And those of us who also know Mathews and had children who played for him can safely say that if you asked Jay whether there was any question in HIS mind as to whether the competitiveness of his program would have any bearing on his retention he would laugh at you. So let's move on, shall we? At least we can agree that we wish he and his family well.

You could be right, may be time to move on, because you keep switching gears on me and not sure if I want to try and keep up. You went from stating that leadership never stated … to what is in Jay’s mind. Two totally different issues. At this time, I am not able to speak as to what is in Jay’s mind, but I can speak to other issues. If they brought Coach Mathews in under a philosophy of not being judged by wins and losses and did not honor that when this decision was made, then that would be one of the examples of not being honest or fair to him or his family. I do hope for a coach’s sake if that philosophy changed at any point, this would be the points of discussion and expectations clearly defined when contracts are offered, not after a contract has been signed. That had not been past practice, but at least would be a step in the right direction. If you find out that was the case let me know and I will be sure to do the same.

Instead the girls bball team went and plucked DA's coach, who by the way has a stud sophomore post player as a daughter. Her title "Director of Student Services"....but I'm sure she left Davidson for a "loving Christian environment" and not a pay raise, and a cushy job, and a chance to WIN a state title this year. I'm sure that didn't factor in at all.

C'Mon, give me a break! Are you saying that the only reason coaches come to CPA is because they get big dollar contracts and that CPA will hire just anyone if it means winning? You obviously know nothing about the history or situation at the school. Yes, they want good coaches and a lot of these good coaches have kids who are athletes, and a lot of these coaches would rather coach at CPA (and have their kids go there) than at other schools. Where is the wrong in that?

Do you forget that Coach Pack left for Ensworth, Coach Brothers left for PJPII, and Coach Wade left for Davidson?

Roy, you need to read more carefully before you post. CPA can give scholorships, but not to athletes. What I said was that CPA made a decision to stay DI because if they had gone DII, they would feel the temptation to give scholorships only to athletes rather than to good singers,students, etc.. In DII it is a real temptation to allow a student's athletic ability sway your decision to help them with a scholorship. CPA didn't want that to happen.

So are you saying that CPA is not stooping to the level of DII schools because they do not offer financial aid to athletes?

C'Mon, give me a break! Are you saying that the only reason coaches come to CPA is because they get big dollar contracts and that CPA will hire just anyone if it means winning? You obviously know nothing about the history or situation at the school. Yes, they want good coaches and a lot of these good coaches have kids who are athletes, and a lot of these coaches would rather coach at CPA (and have their kids go there) than at other schools. Where is the wrong in that?

Do you forget that Coach Pack left for Ensworth, Coach Brothers left for PJPII, and Coach Wade left for Davidson?

I'm not saying that, but I can't help you if you don't think that any of that plays a role. I don't think there is anything is wrong with it, but you made the statement "if it was all about wins and money, then....." you wouldn't be looking for a football coach. All 3 of those coaches left under different circumstances. Brothers and Wade were offered head jobs that allowed them to build their own programs, and not Coach Pack's. It didn't work out for Coach Brothers at Pope, but he's doing great things at NCS. Wade has done great things and helped CPA win 2 titles. Coach Pack left to get a better deal at Ensworth, and then parlayed that into his gig at FRA. What can I say? He's a smart guy.

Note to the nieve, but high school athletics especially in the private school sector, is becoming about wins and money. If not, CPA would not have "gone in a different direction" with regards to Coach Mathews. If they hire from within (which I doubt) then it won't be about wins and money.

CPA's biggest problems are MBA, Ensworth, FRA, BGA, etc.

I am also an outsider looking in: my only contact with CPA is with my good friend CPA4ever, why in the world does CPA play the above mentioned teams? You tell me a 3A team, other than Alcoa, that could compete with these teams. I don't know anyone who would want to play their schedule.

I am also an outsider looking in: my only contact with CPA is with my good friend CPA4ever, why in the world does CPA play the above mentioned teams? You tell me a 3A team, other than Alcoa, that could compete with these teams. I don't know anyone who would want to play their schedule.

My bad - I checked the TSSAA schedules and found that CPA does not play these teams. They still have a tough schedule though :oops:

My bad - I checked the TSSAA schedules and found that CPA does not play these teams. They still have a tough schedule though :oops:

CPA did play these schools along with Riverdale and Father Ryan in the past. Before the new setup they always scheduled up for the competition. Pack did it every year too. Even their out of conference rivalry teams are usually tough, Goodpasture and DCA.

But I do not think these schools were mentioned because of scheduling but as competition for students. That is the way I took it.

Several people have stated that Matthews is great guy and coach, the school clearly put him in a tough situation staying DI, although he wanted to go DII to stay competitive in FB.

I have no idea how factual this is but it is very interesting. Matthews was asked to come to what he thought was and athletic staff meeting and he was fired. The same source says that the decision came from someplace higher than the AD.

IMHO unhappy dad with LOTS of money. I truly hope I am wrong.

To agree with many on this topic, if everything about Matthews is true it has to be about wins doesn't it?

Odd thing though, who ever the new coach is the schedule (Wins) won't really get any better for 2 more years when they probably jump to DII, and everyone who was involved in this should know that.

Several people have stated that Matthews is great guy and coach, the school clearly put him in a tough situation staying DI, although he wanted to go DII to stay competitive in FB.

I have no idea how factual this is but it is very interesting. Matthews was asked to come to what he thought was and athletic staff meeting and he was fired. The same source says that the decision came from someplace higher than the AD.

IMHO unhappy dad with LOTS of money. I truly hope I am wrong.

To agree with many on this topic, if everything about Matthews is true it has to be about wins doesn't it?

Odd thing though, who ever the new coach is the schedule (Wins) won't really get any better for 2 more years when they probably jump to DII, and everyone who was involved in this should know that.

If you "have no idea how factual this is" then don't post it, especially considering that this topic is about a man losing his job.

From my brief interactions with Coach Matthews, he is an excellent man. IMO a very puzzling move by CPA, the admin will have to live with this decision if it backfires. He came into a difficult spot replacing Coach Pack, who WAS CPA. Pack was and still is an excellent coach and a great role model for all.

If you "have no idea how factual this is" then don't post it, especially considering that this topic is about a man losing his job.

Please, give me a break, because everything posted here is gospel, at least I acknowledged that it might be rumor, unlike most of the posts. I posted it as aheads up to the new coach that things done over there might not always be on the up and up. It is very unfortunate the Coach Matthews lost his job, but IF it was handled poorly by the school, that doesn't affect what they did and if I were interested in the job, I would hope someone would give me a heads up.

Edited by Bucksfan