CPA Releases Mathews

CPA4Ever

Just heard where CPA released Coach Jay Mathews, who has been at CPA since the 2004 season. I am not close enough to the program anymore to know all the story, but I will say I am very sad for Jay and his family.

IMO, you will not find a better Christian man and example for kids than Mathews. He is also a great servant for the church and community.

I hope there is nothing to this other than win-loss. If it is win-loss, Jay is a victim, IMO, of CPA's decision to stay in the public school division and the multipier. I don't think any coach would do much better as long as their enrollment is where it is, and they are playing 3A against several 4A teams.

They could have easily competed for the state crown every year in Division II, and wins would not be an issue.

I was in favor of them staying in the public division when they were 2A, but when they got bumped to 3A and put in a killer region, I knew they were in over their heads. It is actually commendable how well he has done in the circumstances.

Again, I do not know any of the inside story on this, but you will not find a better role model for kids than Jay Mathews. I wish all of God's blessings to him and his family, and every future success. Some school is going to get a great coach if he stays in coaching.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard where CPA released Coach Jay Mathews, who has been at CPA since the 2004 season. I am not close enough to the program anymore to know all the story, but I will say I am very sad for Jay and his family.

IMO, you will not find a better Christian man and example for kids than Mathews. He is also a great servant for the church and community.

I hope there is nothing to this other than win-loss. If it is win-loss, Jay is a victim, IMO, of CPA's decision to stay in the public school division and the multipier. I don't think any coach would do much better as long as their enrollment is where it is, and they are playing 3A against several 4A teams.

They could have easily competed for the state crown every year in Division II, and wins would not be an issue.

I was in favor of them staying in the public division when they were 2A, but when they got bumped to 3A and put in a killer region, I knew they were in over their heads. It is actually commendable how well he has done in the circumstances.

Again, I do not know any of the inside story on this, but you will not find a better role model for kids than Jay Mathews. I wish all of God's blessings to him and his family, and every future success. Some school is going to get a great coach if he stays in coaching.

I do not want to kick someone when they are down but coming from

a former player under Mathews I have to disagree with you. Jay mathews took a once great program and made it into a joke. He is/was not only a poor football coach but also lacked any kind of personality or relationship with his players. I for one am glad that CPA finally came to their senses and sent him packing. He may have made a good offensive coordinator but by no means does he belong as a head coach anywhere. Maybe now CPA can start to rebuild and return to the contenders they once where under the great coach Pack before Mathews came and had the worst records in the schools history. I hope that Mathews failures will not hurt the chances of the other football coaches on staff as they are probably the only reason he was not fired a ling time ago. Good luck Mathews maybe briarwood will take you back.

a former player under Mathews I have to disagree with you. Jay mathews took a once great program and made it into a joke. He is/was not only a poor football coach but also lacked any kind of personality or relationship with his players. I for one am glad that CPA finally came to their senses and sent him packing. He may have made a good offensive coordinator but by no means does he belong as a head coach anywhere. Maybe now CPA can start to rebuild and return to the contenders they once where under the great coach Pack before Mathews came and had the worst records in the schools history. I hope that Mathews failures will not hurt the chances of the other football coaches on staff as they are probably the only reason he was not fired a ling time ago. Good luck Mathews maybe briarwood will take you back.

1. You did a good job kicking.

2. According to your profile you are way too old to have played under Matthews unless it was the playground.

Coach M is a great man and many valued him as a coach, teacher and leader. Wish him only the best in the future.

1. You did a good job kicking.

2. According to your profile you are way too old to have played under Matthews unless it was the playground.

Coach M is a great man and many valued him as a coach, teacher and leader. Wish him only the best in the future.

1. I wasn't a kicker but good try with the juvinile attempt at discrediting me.

2. Way to embarrass yourself trying to say I am too old to have played for him.

3. It may have changed since I was there but I'm pretty sure girls don't play football fbgirl. (maybe Mathews would have let you)

4. That being said you have no clue how he was as a coach.

Every coach has 40-80 players who are mostly immature, get different amounts of playing time, can or cannot handle criticism, and have a limited knowledge of all that goes into a good coach and program. As I said before, I am not on the inside, but I can assure you Coach Pack (who was the best HS coach I have ever been personally associated with)would not have had the success with CPA's current schedule that he had in 1A. He may have done better than Mathews (who knows), but CPA has more problems in football than coaching.

--They have 40-45 players on the squad and only about 200 male students in the school (versus 500 in some schools in their region) to field a team from.

-- They have a demographic of males that, in many cases, are raised with "silver spoons" and won't make the sacrifices to be a great football player, so they don't play.

-- They are always undersized and typically only win because of their coaching and schemes, and passing offense. They cannot stop a physical running team.

-- The reclassification into 3A has hurt the support for the football program among the whole school. The attendance of the games is a fraction of what it was.

When I hear a young person who played for a coach criticize the coach, i can't help but wonder if the problem was the coach or the player. I'm sure Mathews wasn't perfect, but the answer at CPA is going to Division II, not getting a new coach.

Your joking. They fired this Mathews man. I looked in my Murphy Fair book and his overall record is 42-27. He has a .608 winning percentage. This is a bunch of mess. This Mathews man has won alot more games than he has lost. I garuntee you that you CPA people will regret this. Grider has not won all of the games either, but I garuntee you that I doubt that principal would fire him.

Edited by Roy Dillard

Every coach has 40-80 players who are mostly immature, get different amounts of playing time, can or cannot handle criticism, and have a limited knowledge of all that goes into a good coach and program. As I said before, I am not on the inside, but I can assure you Coach Pack (who was the best HS coach I have ever been personally associated with)would not have had the success with CPA's current schedule that he had in 1A. He may have done better than Mathews (who knows), but CPA has more problems in football than coaching.

--They have 40-45 players on the squad and only about 200 male students in the school (versus 500 in some schools in their region) to field a team from.

-- They have a demographic of males that, in many cases, are raised with "silver spoons" and won't make the sacrifices to be a great football player, so they don't play.

-- They are always undersized and typically only win because of their coaching and schemes, and passing offense. They cannot stop a physical running team.

-- The reclassification into 3A has hurt the support for the football program among the whole school. The attendance of the games is a fraction of what it was.

When I hear a young person who played for a coach criticize the coach, i can't help but wonder if the problem was the coach or the player. I'm sure Mathews wasn't perfect, but the answer at CPA is going to Division II, not getting a new coach.

Excuses are like-----

I was merely supporting and confirming the dicision that CPA made by letting go a coach that did not preform yet you and fb girl try to discredit me as a high school football player? I have heard some bad argument but please leave your drama in the ladies restroom. As far as comparing Mathews to Pack you can't because pack won which is the only thing they re hired to do. Mathews did not win. That is the end of the story. Please feel free to continue and try to demean me as a player I don't care. Once again CPA made a good decision by letting him go should have done it a long time ago.

Excuses are like-----

I was merely supporting and confirming the dicision that CPA made by letting go a coach that did not preform yet you and fb girl try to discredit me as a high school football player? I have heard some bad argument but please leave your drama in the ladies restroom. As far as comparing Mathews to Pack you can't because pack won which is the only thing they re hired to do. Mathews did not win. That is the end of the story. Please feel free to continue and try to demean me as a player I don't care. Once again CPA made a good decision by letting him go should have done it a long time ago.

Merry Christmas!

Excuses are like-----

Personally I don't care if you played. You might have been al district or even all state. Good job. Now back to the real issue and problem at CPA. They need to reclassify. Its that simple. When teams are competitive, move into a different classification and start losing. It doesn't take a football genius as yourself to see the problem. Its a shame that the powers to be got rid of the coach instead of fixing the problem. CPA has some rough roads ahead.