Dyer County and Robert Hubbs

burgman

For the ones that have seen all these players, you are entitled to your opinion, but if you`re looking at numbers, don`t. Hubbs has posted his numbers by averaging less than 3 quarters a game like all the other starters on DC and by all means, this kid is far from slowfooted, but keep on thinking that.

Hubbs is the real deal. Don't be fooled by this kid not being ranked. I suspect going into his SR season he will be. Actually it's rare to see a true ranking for kids that far out anyway as evidenced by the historical fluctuations of kids going up and down or dropping out entirely by the senior season.

Remember Chris Jones and Chris Crawford? OK Jones was a Junior last season but the age of a Senior thus he is at a prep school this season. Anyway, These two kids came out of nowhere last season.....Crawford goes from unranked to 70 something (he is going to be better than that when all is said and done)just from his AAU summer last year....Chris Jones goes from nothing to top 50 (class of 2011) after catching Bob Gibbons eye and leading that AAU Tournament in scoring and then going on to blow everybody away. Plus, it's not uncommon for some of these services to reserve judgement on kids that far out unless they are the can't miss High Major kids like Johnathan Williams.

Give you another kid that was ranked as a Soph/JR but dropped out going into his SR season,Terrico White....the services miss some and that was a Major miss even though people around these parts knew White was for real. You have to really understand how these services and ranking work to understand them....For example it helps to be on the right AAU team, you know with a coach that has some stroke....any bad outing can result in a 20 or 30 point drop when the next round of ranking comes out.

Remember Casey Prather, he goes from top 30 to 60 something based on nothing more than a bad showing against Harrison Barnes even though Prather was sick and turned up the D on Barnes in the second half.

One other thing to remember is that in reality it's only a handful of true 5 star players, maybe 5 to 10 in any given class even though the services have 25. One other thing to keep in mind is that in reality it's really not much, and in many cases none at all, separation between say 30 and 60/70 and none at all between 70 and 100. People thing if a kid is say 40 he is clearly a much better player than say a 65 when in fact that's no the case at all.

You know a kid can be on his 3rd day of playing multiple games each day, 700 miles from home, eating nothing but McDonald's, for the third straight weekend and has a couple of bad games where he me be worn out and playing uninspired and BOOM it can crush your ranking by 20/30/40 spots. These services don't factor in stuff like that. Basically you have roughly a top 10, the the next 15 to 20 and after that it's wide open. The rankings are fairly accurate as far as the kids in them but the spots go up and down with each new round.

I actually busted one of the writers from one of the services a few weeks ago after he wrote a big piece about Andre Hollins performance against Findlay...here is the story, he made it sound like he was there when in fact he wasn't and I knew he wasn't...I knew he wasn't because he was at the Melrose Oak Hill game. So I gave my opinion of what I saw of Hollins against Findlay and eventually asked him straight out, asked him if he was there and he had no choice but to admit he wasn't....Point is if he would have seen that he would have been blown away...Now in his defense he is a fantastic scout/writer but his story was misleading, he was in Memphis to see Hollins but it was the next day after the Findlay game and his piece (to anybody that wouldn't know)made it sound like he was there for that game. One other thing is that sometimes a kid can really make a lot of movement if he signs with certain top BCS schools, the services will not admit this but it has happened so many times you would not believe it. Would you believe that one SEC assistant once admitted he could (with his connections) turn a 3 star into a 4 just by making a few phone calls (this was FB)

Again, the rankings are a good indicator and those kids are really the best of the best in High School. Just remember it's not uncommon for a kid to blow up and go from nowhere to highly ranked between Jr and Sr seasons, especially with the right AAU team/coach.

Edited by yankees8589

Hubbs is the real deal. Don't be fooled by this kid not being ranked. I suspect going into his SR season he will be. Actually it's rare to see a true ranking for kids that far out anyway as evidenced by the historical fluctuations of kids going up and down or dropping out entirely by the senior season.

Remember Chris Jones and Chris Crawford? OK Jones was a Junior last season but the age of a Senior thus he is at a prep school this season. Anyway, These two kids came out of nowhere last season.....Crawford goes from unranked to 70 something (he is going to be better than that when all is said and done)just from his AAU summer last year....Chris Jones goes from nothing to top 50 (class of 2011) after catching Bob Gibbons eye and leading that AAU Tournament in scoring and then going on to blow everybody away. Plus, it's not uncommon for some of these services to reserve judgement on kids that far out unless they are the can't miss High Major kids like Johnathan Williams.

Give you another kid that was ranked as a Soph/JR but dropped out going into his SR season,Terrico White....the services miss some and that was a Major miss even though people around these parts knew White was for real. You have to really understand how these services and ranking work to understand them....For example it helps to be on the right AAU team, you know with a coach that has some stroke....any bad outing can result in a 20 or 30 point drop when the next round of ranking comes out.

Remember Casey Prather, he goes from top 30 to 60 something based on nothing more than a bad showing against Harrison Barnes even though Prather was sick and turned up the D on Barnes in the second half.

One other thing to remember is that in reality it's only a handful of true 5 star players, maybe 5 to 10 in any given class even though the services have 25. One other thing to keep in mind is that in reality it's really not much, and in many cases none at all, separation between say 30 and 60/70 and none at all between 70 and 100. People thing if a kid is say 40 he is clearly a much better player than say a 65 when in fact that's no the case at all.

You know a kid can be on his 3rd day of playing multiple games each day, 700 miles from home, eating nothing but McDonald's, for the third straight weekend and has a couple of bad games where he me be worn out and playing uninspired and BOOM it can crush your ranking by 20/30/40 spots. These services don't factor in stuff like that. Basically you have roughly a top 10, the the next 15 to 20 and after that it's wide open. The rankings are fairly accurate as far as the kids in them but the spots go up and down with each new round.

I actually busted one of the writers from one of the services a few weeks ago after he wrote a big piece about Andre Hollins performance against Findlay...here is the story, he made it sound like he was there when in fact he wasn't and I knew he wasn't...I knew he wasn't because he was at the Melrose Oak Hill game. So I gave my opinion of what I saw of Hollins against Findlay and eventually asked him straight out, asked him if he was there and he had no choice but to admit he wasn't....Point is if he would have seen that he would have been blown away...Now in his defense he is a fantastic scout/writer but his story was misleading, he was in Memphis to see Hollins but it was the next day after the Findlay game and his piece (to anybody that wouldn't know)made it sound like he was there for that game. One other thing is that sometimes a kid can really make a lot of movement if he signs with certain top BCS schools, the services will not admit this but it has happened so many times you would not believe it. Would you believe that one SEC assistant once admitted he could (with his connections) turn a 3 star into a 4 just by making a few phone calls (this was FB)

Again, the rankings are a good indicator and those kids are really the best of the best in High School. Just remember it's not uncommon for a kid to blow up and go from nowhere to highly ranked between Jr and Sr seasons, especially with the right AAU team/coach.

Ranking usually mean squat especially as a soph. Hubbs is a player. He may not be the best soph in the state but he is one of the best. He will go D-1(major I think) and contribute to whatever program he goes. Like yankees8589 said don't get caught in hte hype of ranking and stuff. Some kids get over looked and then end up in a school they are better than and transfer up. Or they end up in a school, because of their ranking, they can't play at and transfer down.

Just a tidbit of info. ESPN reported that in football, there are more 3 stars and under playing in the pros than 4 and 5 stars, so I agree, don`t get too caught up in numbers.

Keep in mind these numbers are changing all the time due to kids moving, grades, injuries, the fact that some kids improve more than others, and a host of other reasons so again, don`t get caught up in the hype.

Hubbs will do just fine as I`m sure the other young men will too. He does great with his studies and has his head on straight. As far as stats, most of you don`t realize he has gotten his numbers by averaging less than 3 quarters a game, just as all the starters at DC have. McCord plays a heavy bench. When you start talking about rankings, it`s as if these guys are in a personal competion with one another. Hubbs is more concerned about winning titles at this point than he is about his ranking and that`s what good players do. He just wants to play and everything else will take care of itself.

Hubbs and Nichols are both the real deal.

I've beem watching Hubbs since he was a freshman. This kid can flat out play. He can shot the three, hit the 10-12 ft. jumper, can create his own shot, can slam dunk at will. He to me is a complete player. His speed is very deceptive. In my opinion Hubbs is the best freshman and sophomore to come out of Dyer Co. He could easily be the best player to ever play at DC. The only weak spot I see, is his defense. He does need to work on that, but he's got two years to do that. He's D1 hopeful for sure. This kid is fun and awesome to watch play.