TSSAA Rules

Eaglehorn

We know the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association (TSSAA-www.tssaa.org) has an unbelievable list of rules, but why have the rules if they are never going to be followed up on. Unless a school reports self violations, a team can almost do whatever it wants. Many baseball programs in the state are going full blast in October and November. This gives them an obvious advantage over a team that does it right, by the rules.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We know the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association (TSSAA-www.tssaa.org) has an unbelievable list of rules, but why have the rules if they are never going to be followed up on. Unless a school reports self violations, a team can almost do whatever it wants. Many baseball programs in the state are going full blast in October and November. This gives them an obvious advantage over a team that does it right, by the rules.

This "unbelievable list of rules" is abided by the schools that have honest coaches and athletic director. The schools that cheat and bend these rules are the programs that feel like the rules are unjust and unfair. They break the rules with out any regard to the signal they are sending to the students and players. "We will cheat no matter what and we don't care what the TSSAA thinks". Great philosophy! Then you wonder why some of these kids cheat in class, cheat with steriods, cheat on their friends and parents. These will be the same young adults in the real world that feel like the rules are unjust and unfair to them and they end up in trouble and struggle their entire life.

Glad my kids don't attend these type schools.

By the way can you name the schools and the rules they broke?

Are high school baseball coaches allowed to work with their pitchers now?

Not according to TSSAA......

2010-11 TSSAA Handbook

Page 30 December 10, 2010

Baseball

Monday, week of August 1 until completion

of 3 weeks (21 consecutive days) .................................................. DEAD PERIOD

End of Dead Period until

Monday, week of November 1 ....................................................... Weight training/conditioning permitted.

No open facilities. No practice.

Monday, week of November 1 until completion

of 3 weeks (21 consecutive days) .................................................. DEAD PERIOD

End of Dead Period until December 31 .......................................... Weight training/conditioning permitted.

No open facilities. No practice

January 1 until Monday, week of February 15 ............................... Weight training/conditioning/open facilities permitted.

No practice.

Monday, week of February 15 ........................................................ First Practice Date. Must practice 3 days before preseason

scrimmages. Maximum of 4 preseason scrimmages or 2

preseason scrimmage dates, or 1 date and 2 scrimmages

Not according to TSSAA......

2010-11 TSSAA Handbook

Page 30 December 10, 2010

Baseball

Monday, week of August 1 until completion

End of Dead Period until

Monday, week of November 1 ....................................................... Weight training/conditioning permitted.

No open facilities. No practice.

Monday, week of November 1 until completion

End of Dead Period until December 31 .......................................... Weight training/conditioning permitted.

No open facilities. No practice

January 1 until Monday, week of February 15 ............................... Weight training/conditioning/open facilities permitted.

No practice.

Monday, week of February 15 ........................................................ First Practice Date. Must practice 3 days before preseason

scrimmages. Maximum of 4 preseason scrimmages or 2

preseason scrimmage dates, or 1 date and 2 scrimmages

For baseball throwing is part of the "conditioning" period. It is necessary for arm-safety.

Yes, pitchers and position players are allowed to throw right now. Throwing is under the definition of conditioning. I agree that it sends the wrong message to the players to break the TSSAA rules. Now, I do not agree with them when it comes to baseball and I have no problem saying that, but I feel strongly about abiding by them.

I think the TSSAA should send people around to check on its programs. As I stated, they are now only depending on the honesty of schools and athletic directors, and now, that is a lot of depend on.

All 4 of them?

You have to abide by an honor system or keep an investigative staff on payroll. There's not even standardization of the rules that one high school adheres to versus another on enrollment. Usually your district neighbor will keep you on the level.

I'll say this, there's a lot of guys getting reps in a batting cage and working on their pitching outside of the school or the high school coach. If a kid wants to work, he's going to.

All 4 of them?

You have to abide by an honor system or keep an investigative staff on payroll. There's not even standardization of the rules that one high school adheres to versus another on enrollment. Usually your district neighbor will keep you on the level.

I'll say this, there's a lot of guys getting reps in a batting cage and working on their pitching outside of the school or the high school coach. If a kid wants to work, he's going to.

I agree that those that want to are hitting and throwing at some facility in the local area. Moreover, in some instances they are getting better coaching at these facilities than they do on their high school field.

I agree that everyone should follow the rules, though; even if the intent of the rules is so easily circumvented by going to externnally controlled facilities. In some cases the facility is more demanding than the high school coach.

I agree that those that want to are hitting and throwing at some facility in the local area. Moreover, in some instances they are getting better coaching at these facilities than they do on their high school field.

I agree that everyone should follow the rules, though; even if the intent of the rules is so easily circumvented by going to externnally controlled facilities. In some cases the facility is more demanding than the high school coach.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but the intent of the rules are to prevent overzealous coaches from mandating practicies and activities during certain times of the year. The rules are not designed to prevent a player from improving on his own or at any of the various "academies" that offer cages, pitching tunnels, etc.

I agree with your statement that in many cases a high school player can receive better instruction from one of these type places than they can at school. Many former minor league and college players offer instruction at these facilities. TSSAA cannot prevent a player from working to improve on their own at any time during the year. Its always a good time to get better.