Dyer County Win Arby's/KFC Classic

ScoutTeam

It's going to be hard for anyone in this area to beat Dyer Co with the starters they have ,plus the talent that comes off the bench.Just saying that those two players are as good as Hubbs,Hudson ,etc ..Smith and Swift will be as good as anyone on the floor.

Well I`m not sure of the two players you are talking about, but I sat with a couple of guys from Martin today and told them about your statement. I`m sure they are good guys and perhaps they had a bad day, but there was not one player on FC that would start for DC and as I said, there were fans from other teams that agreed with me on this one. Seriously ! I know you`re a BB person and I respect your opinions, but I`ll have to disagree big time with you on this one.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith and swift play for Fulton Co, not Fulton city.

Chipper.You probably wasn't referring this to me but I did say above if Fulton Co were to play Dyer Co then Dyer Co would win but Fulton would have two of the betetr athletes on the floor.Do you not think Swift and Leonard Smith is as good as anyone on the Dyer Co team?

Well I`m not sure of the two players you are talking about, but I sat with a couple of guys from Martin today and told them about your statement. I`m sure they are good guys and perhaps they had a bad day, but there was not one player on FC that would start for DC and as I said, there were fans from other teams that agreed with me on this one. Seriously ! I know you`re a BB person and I respect your opinions, but I`ll have to disagree big time with you on this one.

Now Volman.There yo go and have disappointed me.I never said anyone on Fulton City.I heard Fulton Co was going to be in that tournament.All I was saying is..if they were..then Dyer Co would win but Fulton Co would have two of the best players on the floor.So maybe your people from Martin don't know basketball outside of Martin.Because if they knew basketball or have seen Swift or Leonard Smith..then they would know.Smith played against Dyer Co as a freshman at Martin about 3 years ago against one of Dyer Co's best teams and lit them up for close to 40 points.He was hitting outside,inside.etc.Had you named either of those players by name,then they should have known.You probably said before the game that Bigster said this team had two studs as good as anyone from Dyer Co.But I never said Fulton City.I have seen Dyer Co play a lot og games,..I have seen Justin Williamson,Sedarius Taylto,Robert Hubbs,John Hudson and Cody Gross..First of all..Cody Gross is originally from Lake Co.He's a good player and has gotten better this year.But both Swift and Smith would start over him and are betetr players.Hudson is a different kind of player..basically a shooter.His all around game to me isn't as good.But if those two players were at Dyer Co,the Choctaw lineup would look like this..Fred Yarbrough,Robert Hubbs,John Hudson,Swift and Leonard Smith..That's with me having the best athletes on the floor and Fred and Hubbs having to bring the ball up the court.If you wanted a true point guard,then Cedaruis,,Hubbs,Leonard Smith and the last two remaining spots would be between Hudson,Swift and Fred Yarbrough.Depens if you wanted a shooter as in Hudson's case or a smooth silky player like Swift that's about 6'4 but has long arms and plays like he's 6/7..Ask some of the Union City or Humboldt people about Swift..Volfan..You need to keep on listening to me..Your friends from Martin don't see to know very much.I'd pick Leonard Smith over Robert Hubbs.

It was nice and all to win the Arby's/KFC Classic but don't be mistaken thinking this was some big event.

Dyer County has blown a golden opportunity this season to gain some National recognition with a top 100 ranking.

It's simple.....don't schedule the Arby's/KFC and Martin Lions Club events and instead play in the REAL Arby's Tournament along with something like the Poplar Bluff Showcase in addition to a game in the Marshall County Hoopfest against a high quality opponent. Or play in the MLK event instead of Poplar Bulff even or play in both. Dyer County has the talent, resources and fan base to support this and would certainly be capable of comming out of a schedule like this better than some might think.....not saying they would run the table or anything like that but they would be more than capable of winning Arby's, Poplar Bluff, game at the Hoopfest, and a win or two at the MLK or Ridgeway event (but the Eiffel Tower event is a decent substitute) plus they play White Station at the Fed EX forum. This would be a type of schedule DC wold be able to compete at the highest level against really high end quality teams. But instead they choose Arby's/KFC and Martin Lions Club.

Like I said DC has blow a golden opportunity to be a nationally ranked top 100 team or at worst a nice ranking for the South East region. This was the season to start beefing up the schedule and even crank it up another notch next season when Hudson and Yarbrough are SR's and Hubbs a JR. Well, it's alway's next season. I have been reluctant to post this but I'm disappointed in the DC schedule because this team is better than that. For those that may not believe I have talked to some Basketball people in Memphis that think this DC team is as good as any team in the City except for Melrose. All this means is that DC has the pieces and style in place to do some damage...will they? who knows? But nobody in Memphis wan't to go to DC for a substate game and that is a fact.....of course DC would have to get a home game first which they will be favored to do.

All I'm saying is this team is really good and one of the best teams in the state but to be honest the schedule stinks and they could have done better. No one can accuse me of not being a DC supporter either but I just call it like I see it.

Believe it or not, Im coming out of the wood work for this one. Its been almost a year since Ive been anywhere near this site, shortly after I finished out my senior year at Dyer County. Life has been very busy, as I now attend college in Jackson and work as well. Hopefully within the next few weeks I will be able to attend a Dyer County game and see this years team, because as I read on this board, I am missing out on a lot.

As nice as Rankings are, (believe me, Top 100 Nationally would be great), isn't a priority at Dyer County. I remember my (junior?) year when we climbed our way up the TN AP Top 10, & eventually got the #1 spot. As nice and as cool as that was, and as much as everyone tried to play it up, Mccord was blatant about how it was nice to get to that point, but it didn't mean squat when it came to getting to Murfreesboro and competing for the Gold Ball. Mccord wouldnt mind the 'national recognition' as well, but he would much rather prepare his team to get to the Murphy Center and be playing in and to win the championship game.

I do agree with you when it comes to scheduling some tougher Tournaments, etc. It does indeed assist in strengthening the team as a whole by playing tougher competition. I believe that Dyer County will stick with the Martin Lions Club tournament for a while, because it provides local fans an opportunity to see their team, as well as boosts ticket sales to the tournament.

Hope to see you at some games later on this season!

Believe it or not, Im coming out of the wood work for this one. Its been almost a year since Ive been anywhere near this site, shortly after I finished out my senior year at Dyer County. Life has been very busy, as I now attend college in Jackson and work as well. Hopefully within the next few weeks I will be able to attend a Dyer County game and see this years team, because as I read on this board, I am missing out on a lot.

As nice as Rankings are, (believe me, Top 100 Nationally would be great), isn't a priority at Dyer County. I remember my (junior?) year when we climbed our way up the TN AP Top 10, & eventually got the #1 spot. As nice and as cool as that was, and as much as everyone tried to play it up, Mccord was blatant about how it was nice to get to that point, but it didn't mean squat when it came to getting to Murfreesboro and competing for the Gold Ball. Mccord wouldnt mind the 'national recognition' as well, but he would much rather prepare his team to get to the Murphy Center and be playing in and to win the championship game.

I do agree with you when it comes to scheduling some tougher Tournaments, etc. It does indeed assist in strengthening the team as a whole by playing tougher competition. I believe that Dyer County will stick with the Martin Lions Club tournament for a while, because it provides local fans an opportunity to see their team, as well as boosts ticket sales to the tournament.

Hope to see you at some games later on this season!

Why would DC worry about boosting Martin's ticket sales?

If they wanna prepare for the State Championship they gotta play better teams when the chances come. Other tourneys usually jump at the chance to have good players play in their games. Usually teams can travel out of state and play in some big games. The kids get out of their routines, stay in hotels, eat together, very similar to what the would do at the State championship.

Chipper.You probably wasn't referring this to me but I did say above if Fulton Co were to play Dyer Co then Dyer Co would win but Fulton would have two of the betetr athletes on the floor.Do you not think Swift and Leonard Smith is as good as anyone on the Dyer Co team?

Hubbs would be the best player on the team.Smith and Swift would start for them.Hubbs at the end of next summer will be a 4 or 5 star.Also,Dyer Co had no business playing in the Martin Xmas tournament.Shouldve played in the Arbys Classic,Poplar Bluff,etc.

Hubbs would be the best player on the team.Smith and Swift would start for them.Hubbs at the end of next summer will be a 4 or 5 star.Also,Dyer Co had no business playing in the Martin Xmas tournament.Shouldve played in the Arbys Classic,Poplar Bluff,etc.

I think it also does an injustice to the kids. Any kind of ranking is pointless. Winning a championship is what most people want. But if a coach has a chance to put his best players, that are capable, into the national spot light and trade that for a few L's so be it. You find out what your team is made of and the players that will play college ball get more exposure. Just my take on it. Schools like Humboldt rarely ever get their kids any exposure.

First and foremost the ultimate goal is to Win a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP. I just want to make that CLEAR.

What I have been talking about is a broader point, the same one Warmachine just touched on. When a team from what is considered a rural area (just North of one of the most recognized D1 talent hotbeds in the Country like Memphis) has the legit talent to play on a MUCH BIGGER stage that team should not only take the challenge but should relish it. It's an opportunity to not only represent the school against TOP FLIGHT BIG TIME COMPETITION but in a broader sense be the representative for the entire West TN area outside of Shelby County. Over the past few years this area has had one team each season (sometimes two) that could more or less play with just about anybody anywhere. Liberty, Bolivar and Union City all went out and played in some big Holiday Tournaments and each scheduled games against the powers in Memphis, out of district. Union City actually did it as a Single A school. Dyer County should have done the same. This is Dyer County's time to shine and go down as the next great team from the West TN area but simply cannot and will not be mentioned in the same breath as the others until they do what the others did as far as scheduling.

If you have the coaching, style and talent to go out and be a rep for the area at large in Big Holiday events you do it and you also play the big boy's from Memphis (I do give DC credit for playing White Station but that is not enough, not by a long shot). If you have what it takes to play a national or semi national/regional schedule you do it. If you have a chance to be the sole rep for the area at large and bring some National/Regional (regional covers about 10 states) recognition to the area you do it because those before you did it. This actually helps in the quest for the Gold Ball, not hurt. Dyer County has some D1 talent and one that could very well be the next great high school talent from the area and could very well be as heavily recruited as just about anybody ever has from this area. My hope is next years schedule will have some top notch Holiday Tournaments and at least one Shoot out event against a high end quality team and at least two games against Memphis powers.

Liberty, Bolivar and Union City have set the gold standards for what would be considered truly special teams. It's time for Dyer County to rise to the challenge and do the same, the same can be done even without winning the State as long as you at least get there in combination with a beefed up schedule. Jackson NS, SS, DC and Haywood also had some fantastic teams but will not and should not be mentioned as being special like the others simply because the body of work is not the same. Maybe Jackson NS could be mentioned because they had home and home with Liberty and Bolivar and finished runner up back to back for the State Championships in AAA which is a much bigger deal than A or AA. But, even Jackson NS I find fault with because they were scheduled for Arby's the Delks SR season and called the day before saying they wouldn't make the trip.

Anyway, those that know me on here know I have been a big DC supporter over the years. But, I will not use a double standard like Homers do. Dyer County needs to step it up next season as far as scheduling to show everybody they are one of those special teams, one of those type of teams that don't come along to often for a school, one of those teams that will be remembered for along time, one of those teams that takes it's rightful place alongside Liberty, Bolivar and Union City as the great teams from the West TN area.

I guess in fairness I should also mention the Humboldt team that went 34 and 1 or whatever it was. But, I don't consider that team anything close to the others. The Humboldt schedule that season was as big a joke as I have ever seen. It was a good team but it was Single A. I feel confident Humboldt would not have come anywhere close to what Union City/Manassas did the years they won it all had they played the same type of schedule. We will never know because it didn't happen. For a single A school to be mentioned as great they would have to do something like Union City and Manassas did, something that may never happen again at the Single A level.

Last point. This area has turned into a hotbed for low major and some of the better JUCO with the occasional High Major kid. When a high school team has a legit High Major talent mixed in with two or three low/mid major kids and good underclassmen those teams are usually able to play with just about anybody with the exception of the basketball factories like Oak Hill/Findlay Prep types or at least are able to compete at the highest level against the top teams in a 500 plus mile radius or the region at large. It's just a matter of going out and doing it.

My hope is Dyer County will really step up to the plate and beef up the schedule next season. Anything other than doing that will be inexcusable in my opinion. The baton has been passed to Dyer County and it's up to them to take it an run with it just like others have done. This area has many programs with great winning traditions at the State level but these programs only occasionally have the pieces to have GREAT teams beyond the State Level and when they do have the pieces in place it's time to step it up plain and simple. AAA is a different animal so even if you have the pieces it's still possible, especially for a rural area team, to be GREAT just by making the State even if you don't win it all. There are teams out of Memphis that get left home every season that are more than capable of winning the State Championship. It's a meat grinder just getting out of regions much less sub state. Dyer County made a big statement even in a loss to White Station last season in sub state, see my point.

Edited by yankees8589

Ok Bigster, you`re right, I jumped the gun a little on an earlier post. No doudt that you and some others on this board are much more informed of the overall pic than I am !

As for the Martin Tourney, I don`t have a clue what McCord was thinking except that he wanted to play there. Good enough for me. Have you guys forgotten just a week before Martin, DC played the Stearns, Ky. tourney and faired pertty well I might add. I understand your point, but let the KIDS plat ball. I sometimes think they could take on the Celtics and it still wouldn`t be good enough !

Ok Bigster, you`re right, I jumped the gun a little on an earlier post. No doudt that you and some others on this board are much more informed of the overall pic than I am !

As for the Martin Tourney, I don`t have a clue what McCord was thinking except that he wanted to play there. Good enough for me. Have you guys forgotten just a week before Martin, DC played the Stearns, Ky. tourney and faired pertty well I might add. I understand your point, but let the KIDS plat ball. I sometimes think they could take on the Celtics and it still wouldn`t be good enough !

ok then..You just keep on rolling with the Bigster and leave those Martin guys alone,especially if they don't know who Smith and Swift are...lol..It's all good though.