CPA over Lipscomb

CPA4Ever

Been watching CPA basketball for almost 20 years, and tonight's crowd was possibly the biggest I have ever seen at a CPA game.

Great game with CPA coming out on top 67-51. Game was tight through almost 3 quarters and there was several lead changes. Lipscomb did a a good job of getting the ball inside and scored mostly layups in the 1st half against CPA's man-to-man.

CPA adjusted at half, played some zone in the 2nd half, and doubled Lipscomb's big man, denying him the ball and taking away the inside game. Lipscomb hit a lot of big shots but not enough to keep it close in the 4th.

It is amazing to see CPA with 3-4 freshmen on the floor at some times. CPA's freshman forward, Alsmiller, hit 5-6 3-pointers, most in the 2nd half. Bradshaw had his typical good game and was, IMO, the best player on the floor.

Both student bodies cheering sections were great.

Edited by CPA4Ever

Been watching CPA basketball for almost 20 years, and tonight's crowd was possibly the biggest I have ever seen at a CPA game.

Great game with CPA coming out on top 67-51. Game was tight through almost 3 quarters and there was several lead changes. Lipscomb did a a good job of getting the ball inside and scored mostly layups in the 1st half against CPA's man-to-man.

CPA adjusted at half, played some zone in the 2nd half, and doubled Lipscomb's big man, denying him the ball and taking away the inside game. Lipscomb hit a lot of big shots but not enough to keep it close in the 4th.

It is amazing to see CPA with 3-4 freshmen on the floor at some times. CPA's freshman forward, Alsmiller, hit 5-6 3-pointers, most in the 2nd half. Bradshaw had his typical good game and was, IMO, the best player on the floor.

What a great atmosphere for High School basketball. Standing room only crowd with two great student bodies. A very different atmosphere compared to when a public school comes to CPA to play or when CPA goes to a public school to play. Those games are usually just parents of the players for the visiting team.

Agreed, I remember those types of games, always fun to be part of no matter what role you get to play (player, coach, fan). BTW – were you able to sit close to Divepix since the gym was packed (assuming you know who he is).

IMO – CPA the more talented. In terms of athleticism, size, speed, and quickness I give the advantage to CPA and didn’t really see a position where this wasn’t the case. Talent is always going to wear on the other team over the course of the game and play a big part. In this game it was also a skill that played a big factor, the ability to move the ball, willing to make the extra pass to find the open man and the player being able to knock down enough big shots. Very impressive by CPA, yet DL shouldn’t’ have been scrambling as much as they were. I was surprised that DL displayed no real plan to defend the on-ball screen, which you better when playing CPA. You either going to trap hard and rotate, help with a hard hedge with squared shoulders with your teammate fighting over the top or switch hard and in any scenario being ready for the roll to the basket. Whichever way has to be very aggressive. All I saw was defenders getting hung up on screens and very soft help if any at all, still letting the dribbler turn the corner and you don’t want to allow Bradshaw and Richard turn the corner on you. Then you are in the scramble mode. I know DL likes to play on the line-up the line defending off ball to give quick help on the dribbler, but I don’t understand why the adjustment wasn’t made on Allsmiller. Playing up and off him was a mistake since he is a player who looks very comfortable shooting from the corner. You don’t want to give him space and help needs to come in another forms without helping off Lindsey in the post. I was also surprised that DL did not take more advantage of charge opportunities, they have a history of not letting many of those get by them. Of course from what I hear is that they actually have more new players in the starting 5 and on the floor than CPA so that plays a role. Offensively their system handled the CPA perimeters switching as they just released and sent deep cutters into the lane before coming back out which was smart. I didn’t think they handled Lindsey playing off back in the lane very well to give help on the DL post player. There are ways to attack that strategy such as letting the offensive player whose man is sagging become an on-ball screener for his teammates, but I don’t think I ever saw that happen. Also I thought DL did better attacking the zone when they mixed passing with dribble drive penetration, but lacked some consistency in that approach. No real problem with CPA’s ¾ - ½ court press, but CPA defenders did a nice job of stripping the ball and create some key TO’s when DL players did not have enough space created between them and the defender, yet they still attempted a front crossover to change direction. CPA made them pay on those occasions. Pickens is an excellent coach and if anyone has a chance of making the necessary adjustments, he does. I’d be surprised if he thought his team executed the game plan, though it doesn’t mean they didn’t play hard and well.

All in all a very competitive game, closer than the score indicated. Congrats to both teams.

Agreed, I remember those types of games, always fun to be part of no matter what role you get to play (player, coach, fan). BTW – were you able to sit close to Divepix since the gym was packed (assuming you know who he is).

Divepix? Haven't read any posts by him. Is he a CPA fan?

IMO – CPA the more talented. In terms of athleticism, size, speed, and quickness I give the advantage to CPA and didn’t really see a position where this wasn’t the case. Talent is always going to wear on the other team over the course of the game and play a big part. In this game it was also a skill that played a big factor, the ability to move the ball, willing to make the extra pass to find the open man and the player being able to knock down enough big shots. Very impressive by CPA, yet DL shouldn’t’ have been scrambling as much as they were. I was surprised that DL displayed no real plan to defend the on-ball screen, which you better when playing CPA. You either going to trap hard and rotate, help with a hard hedge with squared shoulders with your teammate fighting over the top or switch hard and in any scenario being ready for the roll to the basket. Whichever way has to be very aggressive. All I saw was defenders getting hung up on screens and very soft help if any at all, still letting the dribbler turn the corner and you don’t want to allow Bradshaw and Richard turn the corner on you. Then you are in the scramble mode. I know DL likes to play on the line-up the line defending off ball to give quick help on the dribbler, but I don’t understand why the adjustment wasn’t made on Allsmiller. Playing up and off him was a mistake since he is a player who looks very comfortable shooting from the corner. You don’t want to give him space and help needs to come in another forms without helping off Lindsey in the post. I was also surprised that DL did not take more advantage of charge opportunities, they have a history of not letting many of those get by them. Of course from what I hear is that they actually have more new players in the starting 5 and on the floor than CPA so that plays a role. Offensively their system handled the CPA perimeters switching as they just released and sent deep cutters into the lane before coming back out which was smart. I didn’t think they handled Lindsey playing off back in the lane very well to give help on the DL post player. There are ways to attack that strategy such as letting the offensive player whose man is sagging become an on-ball screener for his teammates, but I don’t think I ever saw that happen. Also I thought DL did better attacking the zone when they mixed passing with dribble drive penetration, but lacked some consistency in that approach. No real problem with CPA’s ¾ - ½ court press, but CPA defenders did a nice job of stripping the ball and create some key TO’s when DL players did not have enough space created between them and the defender, yet they still attempted a front crossover to change direction. CPA made them pay on those occasions. Pickens is an excellent coach and if anyone has a chance of making the necessary adjustments, he does. I’d be surprised if he thought his team executed the game plan, though it doesn’t mean they didn’t play hard and well.

All in all a very competitive game, closer than the score indicated. Congrats to both teams.