Jefferson County FB 2011

dvp4life

People tend to forget that splash hires @ a place like JCHS can't be expected to last all that long. Scott Meadows was the best coach I've ever spent any time around. He was here long enough to see us out and then moved on to greener pastures. We have the athletes here. This current SR class lost a total of 0 games to anyone outside of the county when they were 8th graders. Jeff Middle has had a pretty amazing run for YEARS. Its going to take a guy who can come in and reenergize the prospective athletes AND the community. Our largest problem is that we've lost that 3 sport approach. Jeff Co athletes are far more interested in baseball...I know I was. When kids like Bo Ausmus and Shade Jett aren't suiting up, you've got to ask yourself, "what do I need to do to get these guys back in pads?"

This freshmen class is as talented at the skill positions as the 04 class with Scooter Houston, Jeff Jennings, Tyler Brown, etc. Dearies Jones is the best back to suit up since Chris Shiverdecker. Jones clocked a 4.6 40 as a freshmen. His cuts are as fluid and smooth as I've seen (excluding Devrin)and he runs with a deceptive amount of pop. He has to work on staying focused during games and holding onto the ball. He's the kind of athlete that you ride into the playoffs. Junior Haney is another long, explosive athlete. When he learns to sell out and hit the hole, he will be a VERY effective back...or a deep threat out wide. Malik Styles is FAST, smart and just a natural leader. He keeps the guys around him in check. Styles can play either QB or WR, depending on the offense. Kagon Seal is athletic, though not very quick, but is strong as heck and will be a stud LB, but can also play some QB...pretty good arm. Hunter Ivey will be solid, as will Zac Hubbard. Look out for Will Greene @ nose. That kid dominated when he was healthy.

Point is: the talent is there. It may not be as attractive as we'd like to think, however, with the all the indecisiveness and unsettling rumors that are constantly swirling in relation to the future of grades 9-12 in the system.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People tend to forget that splash hires @ a place like JCHS can't be expected to last all that long. Scott Meadows was the best coach I've ever spent any time around. He was here long enough to see us out and then moved on to greener pastures. We have the athletes here. This current SR class lost a total of 0 games to anyone outside of the county when they were 8th graders. Jeff Middle has had a pretty amazing run for YEARS. Its going to take a guy who can come in and reenergize the prospective athletes AND the community. Our largest problem is that we've lost that 3 sport approach. Jeff Co athletes are far more interested in baseball...I know I was. When kids like Bo Ausmus and Shade Jett aren't suiting up, you've got to ask yourself, "what do I need to do to get these guys back in pads?"

This freshmen class is as talented at the skill positions as the 04 class with Scooter Houston, Jeff Jennings, Tyler Brown, etc. Dearies Jones is the best back to suit up since Chris Shiverdecker. Jones clocked a 4.6 40 as a freshmen. His cuts are as fluid and smooth as I've seen (excluding Devrin)and he runs with a deceptive amount of pop. He has to work on staying focused during games and holding onto the ball. He's the kind of athlete that you ride into the playoffs. Junior Haney is another long, explosive athlete. When he learns to sell out and hit the hole, he will be a VERY effective back...or a deep threat out wide. Malik Styles is FAST, smart and just a natural leader. He keeps the guys around him in check. Styles can play either QB or WR, depending on the offense. Kagon Seal is athletic, though not very quick, but is strong as heck and will be a stud LB, but can also play some QB...pretty good arm. Hunter Ivey will be solid, as will Zac Hubbard. Look out for Will Greene @ nose. That kid dominated when he was healthy.

Point is: the talent is there. It may not be as attractive as we'd like to think, however, with the all the indecisiveness and unsettling rumors that are constantly swirling in relation to the future of grades 9-12 in the system.

Most of what you say is correct. Jc is not as deprived of talent as most beleave, But the day of the 3 sport athlete is going away. (GONE) A player is now pushed to narrow his choice down to 2 then 1 very soon after entering HS. Heck, most practice their sport year round now to avoid falling behind. If not for time reasons, there is a coach if the background telling him to do it. JC must get back to the point where most is choosing football first. I guarantee you football is first at Marryville and Alcoa!!!

WHAT DID HE RUN AT MARRYVILLE? BEING FROM CNC DID HE RUN THE VEER? HOW MANY STATE TITLES DID HE WIN WHILE AT MARRYVILLE. WE ALL KNOW WHAT THE CURRENT COACH THERE HAS DONE. DID HE LEAVE OR WAS HE PUSHED ASIDE TO MAKE ROOM FOR GQ?

check the records, i'm not sure how many titles he won total as a coach, but at maryville, i know he went in 97, won in 98 with the 15-0 record.

he brought quarles in on his staff as his quarterbacks coach, and from what i've heard in years past, he left for his kids, TN didn't have HOPE scholarship at the time, and hammontree has 5 kids i think, so he wanted that for them. he recommended quarles to take his place.

check the records, i'm not sure how many titles he won total as a coach, but at maryville, i know he went in 97, won in 98 with the 15-0 record.

he brought quarles in on his staff as his quarterbacks coach, and from what i've heard in years past, he left for his kids, TN didn't have HOPE scholarship at the time, and hammontree has 5 kids i think, so he wanted that for them. he recommended quarles to take his place.

Looks like he would be a solid choice and someone with respect going into the job. Thanks

I understand there are a few dozen applicants at this point???

Looks like he would be a solid choice and someone with respect going into the job. Thanks

I understand there are a few dozen applicants at this point???

Hammontree would probably be a good choice. I would just caution everyone to not put all your hopes into someone because of past success. Although that is good, your administration may find someone who has had moderate success at a school with less potential than Jeff Co. I know this is a tough comparison but, Gene Chizik came to Auburn with some scrutiny. He was able to get good people around him at Auburn and now... The real question is will Jeff Co. provide the resources to put good people around whoever they hire as HC. The HC is obviously very important and needs to be good community man, PR guy, good football guy but he can't do it alone. Typically the HC is good X and O's coach but only has time to run one side of football. Hammontree nor even Quarles can do it alone. They have to find a way to help with asst. coaches pay. Not a huge amount but just to help HC recruit them. Maryville would not be who they are without paying for good coaches. Jeff Co. isn't a wealthy system but somehow, someway they have to become of age.

Hammontree would probably be a good choice. I would just caution everyone to not put all your hopes into someone because of past success. Although that is good, your administration may find someone who has had moderate success at a school with less potential than Jeff Co. I know this is a tough comparison but, Gene Chizik came to Auburn with some scrutiny. He was able to get good people around him at Auburn and now... The real question is will Jeff Co. provide the resources to put good people around whoever they hire as HC. The HC is obviously very important and needs to be good community man, PR guy, good football guy but he can't do it alone. Typically the HC is good X and O's coach but only has time to run one side of football. Hammontree nor even Quarles can do it alone. They have to find a way to help with asst. coaches pay. Not a huge amount but just to help HC recruit them. Maryville would not be who they are without paying for good coaches. Jeff Co. isn't a wealthy system but somehow, someway they have to become of age.

with the years he's coached and the respect he has, my thoughts are he could bring in a great staff to help build the program, i agree that it doesn't take just one coach, it never does, it takes a team of coaches, to make a team of great young men rise to the top. it takes seasons to make a successful program, so the community and parents need to realize whoever the hire is, to give them time to build the program and trust in them. that's what communities all too often forget. hammontree would be a solid choice, he gains the respect wherever he goes and makes things happen instead of talking about them, he just has to have people behind him supporting the changes, otherwise, the school and the program will not succeed. also i don't see hammontree retiring from the game, he loves the sport and loves the kids and is a great motivator.. it's always great to have a young coach, BUT better to have them on staff and learning from someone who has been there, and not just throw them in the fire and fight for their job later on after a couple of seasons. we shall see who jeff co goes with.

with the years he's coached and the respect he has, my thoughts are he could bring in a great staff to help build the program, i agree that it doesn't take just one coach, it never does, it takes a team of coaches, to make a team of great young men rise to the top. it takes seasons to make a successful program, so the community and parents need to realize whoever the hire is, to give them time to build the program and trust in them. that's what communities all too often forget. hammontree would be a solid choice, he gains the respect wherever he goes and makes things happen instead of talking about them, he just has to have people behind him supporting the changes, otherwise, the school and the program will not succeed. also i don't see hammontree retiring from the game, he loves the sport and loves the kids and is a great motivator.. it's always great to have a young coach, BUT better to have them on staff and learning from someone who has been there, and not just throw them in the fire and fight for their job later on after a couple of seasons. we shall see who jeff co goes with.

I agree...more the point though is it doesn't matter how good that HC is; he can be really good and many asst. coaches want to work for him. But, no good, experienced asst. coaches are going to take a pay cut to come work for him. Experienced asst. coaches usually espire to be coordinators or head coaches themselves so they want to be around head coaches that can give them good, winning name. But, in the end, teachers don't make a lot of money. $3,000.00 is a lot of money to lose by going there. If the money was right Jeff. Co. would have no issues with coaches. I'm sure there are many wanting to come there for many reasons but got to have the money in the end.

My opinion, and that is all it is, they need to have someone in place no later than the end of January!!

My take is that it could go either way.The new AD and the Principal are a HUGE unknown.WE already know that the School Boar and the County Comm are crooks at worst and incompetent at the least.With large amounts of money lost,How can we hope to spend the money necessary to put the school on a successful path.1 GREAT hire will not be enough,He will need resources and assistants to fully get the job done.My question ? Are we looking for a coaching upgrade or are we looking to build a dynasty?I hope its the latter.I hope this fractured County can all get on board and help build another great Football Team and with it a great school.WE SHALL see pretty soon.

To have a successful program, a dynasty that sum are seeking IT must start at the Middle School. The new HC that is hired needs to get all the middle schools to implement the same scheme for offense and defense that is run at the High School level. We all know that modifications and adaptations have to be put in for athlets or lack of, but the fundaments and strategy will have three years to be applied so when they do get to HS they are not starting all over again. Makes for quick turn around and possiblity of dependability of the young freshmen who can step up and play on FRI nites.

Yes the system needs to get a Coach in that the Community will back and allow him to have the opportunity to bring in sum asst. coaches.

It would be interesting to find out if the pay for coaches in Jeff Co is done on a flat fee or percentage. The amount coaches get paid is never compairable to the amount of hours put in. Some systems pay a flat amount such as $3000 for asst fb coaches, sum pay a percentage maybe 5% of your total teaching pay added for your coaching, while some still offer increases such as a base with years of experience. The latter is a great motivator cause it goes up each year you coach and not always stuck at the same level, for instance a new coach could come in a get paid the same amount as one who has been coaching for 10 plus years. Then the creme of the crop does like Alcoa schools, each sport that makes it to post season the coach is payed a bonus, makes you strive harder and get players ready as composed to just going thru the motions.

To have a successful program, a dynasty that sum are seeking IT must start at the Middle School. The new HC that is hired needs to get all the middle schools to implement the same scheme for offense and defense that is run at the High School level. We all know that modifications and adaptations have to be put in for athlets or lack of, but the fundaments and strategy will have three years to be applied so when they do get to HS they are not starting all over again. Makes for quick turn around and possiblity of dependability of the young freshmen who can step up and play on FRI nites.

Yes the system needs to get a Coach in that the Community will back and allow him to have the opportunity to bring in sum asst. coaches.

It would be interesting to find out if the pay for coaches in Jeff Co is done on a flat fee or percentage. The amount coaches get paid is never compairable to the amount of hours put in. Some systems pay a flat amount such as $3000 for asst fb coaches, sum pay a percentage maybe 5% of your total teaching pay added for your coaching, while some still offer increases such as a base with years of experience. The latter is a great motivator cause it goes up each year you coach and not always stuck at the same level, for instance a new coach could come in a get paid the same amount as one who has been coaching for 10 plus years. Then the creme of the crop does like Alcoa schools, each sport that makes it to post season the coach is payed a bonus, makes you strive harder and get players ready as composed to just going thru the motions.

Your right Pummelking ! For those outside the county ,We have 5 cities playing English Mountain Football.They are Jeff city/dandridge/talbott/white pine/rush strong.They each have 3 levels of play with b teams.In addition 4 middle schools who would have varsity and JV.Thats 38 teams FULL OF KIDS THAT WE WOULD HOPE would want to put on the Patriot uniform someday.We have got to talk them up early/support their programs! recognize their players both as a team and as individual players!! Maybe some free tickets to FRIDAY night games for those players and coaches.Maybe a visit to their schools by the HS players/coaches!!Maybe sideline/or pressbox/or lockeroom passes for the top players?I have seen the small schools/communities play! there is plentyof talent in the pipeline!If our talent and enthusiasm can be Properly encouraged and eventually molded in the WEIGHT ROOM ther is no telling where we can go!

Your right Pummelking ! For those outside the county ,We have 5 cities playing English Mountain Football.They are Jeff city/dandridge/talbott/white pine/rush strong.They each have 3 levels of play with b teams.In addition 4 middle schools who would have varsity and JV.Thats 38 teams FULL OF KIDS THAT WE WOULD HOPE would want to put on the Patriot uniform someday.We have got to talk them up early/support their programs! recognize their players both as a team and as individual players!! Maybe some free tickets to FRIDAY night games for those players and coaches.Maybe a visit to their schools by the HS players/coaches!!Maybe sideline/or pressbox/or lockeroom passes for the top players?I have seen the small schools/communities play! there is plentyof talent in the pipeline!If our talent and enthusiasm can be Properly encouraged and eventually molded in the WEIGHT ROOM ther is no telling where we can go!

ON a FUNNY note that Might hit home? and just for us JC folks...haha...WE got Jeff city that thinks they are smarter than everybody...We got Dandridge that thinks they are better than everybody....We got White Pine thats angry as heck,,,,Rush Strong area feels left out,,,,and Talbott that has a split personality.Question ??? Could the man himself ( GQ) fix this mess??? has anyone ever wondered why he hasnt come home???

Your right Pummelking ! For those outside the county ,We have 5 cities playing English Mountain Football.They are Jeff city/dandridge/talbott/white pine/rush strong.They each have 3 levels of play with b teams.In addition 4 middle schools who would have varsity and JV.Thats 38 teams FULL OF KIDS THAT WE WOULD HOPE would want to put on the Patriot uniform someday.We have got to talk them up early/support their programs! recognize their players both as a team and as individual players!! Maybe some free tickets to FRIDAY night games for those players and coaches.Maybe a visit to their schools by the HS players/coaches!!Maybe sideline/or pressbox/or lockeroom passes for the top players?I have seen the small schools/communities play! there is plentyof talent in the pipeline!If our talent and enthusiasm can be Properly encouraged and eventually molded in the WEIGHT ROOM there is no telling where we can go!

The Weight Room is where it ALL starts!!! If the folks who are going to play next year are not doing HARDCORE LIFTING 4 or 5 days a week, I do not care who they hire, That Coach will not get it done.

I still think they need to hire one of Alcoa or Maryville's top Assistant Coaches. We need NEW, EXPERIENCED blood in the program.

Cowbell, More Cowbell.......