Baylor's Manley Approaching Mat Milestone

bbb

Let's try this post again and I will clean up a couple words, not to offend any of you tender hearted grown men!!!

Okay, I am newby on here to post but I have been an avid reader from my time living in Tennesse/ Georgia. Good stuff fella's

Let me get this straight, and also ask why you even wanna give this kid (Manley) so much press time or credit. I don't know Mr. Manley or Mr.Baker, but let me get this straight...

Manley is a senior defending state champ who beat sophomore Baker in the state finals last year, this year Manley has been at #135 and Baker at #140 all year, both doing very until Baker recently decided to drop down and see if he could avenge his loss from last year???? Which he did...

From the score, Mr. Baker beats him in a very close recent match, and instead of standing up and showing that he is a true champion and all time record holder, Manley wants to drop down/ run to a lower weight.

Where I come from in Iowa (a real wrestling state) Manley would be called a chicken!! But you can't make chicken salad from chickenpoop!!! Just like you can make a true champ from a runner.

From the rankings I see the current #130 Baylor kid (Reecse) is ranked #1 and is frontrunner to win state at #130. Why would anyone screw this up. 2 state champs instead of 1!

I agree if Manley was to beat Baker in the finals then he deserves all respect that he gets, and I might be a fan. But its not too impressive to earn such a title or honors when you run like a little female dog!!

Why doesn't he just beat Baker for the title and shut everyone up!! That might be worth the price of admission!!

Iowastate, Here's a thought. Why did Baker drop to 135, why didn't he stay at 140 maybe to avoid Doster? I'll go ahead and give you my anwser... Baker felt like the best place for him to be is 135 enough said!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problems with anyone having their own opinion, but its how you state it. Calling someone out, using the language used by IowaState was wrong. Hopefully, this board will quickly get rid of him and the post. That said, these guys don't wrestle for you or me. Most are trying to earn state championships and almost any wrestler or fan will tell you how elusive these are to obtain. Especially as a senior, you get them where you can. Again, my bet is the post was made by one of the impacted 130 lbers or a friend that is upset that there would be more competition at 130. Now they will be resigned to be a second or third place and not wanting the "competition" they are accusing Manley. Hey, if you don't like it, come and beat Manley at 130! Again, congrats to Manley on an awesome career and good luck at State at any weight you want!!!!

I hate to hurt your feelings but a state title in Tennessee is no longer elusive. Back when Tennessee had one division, 16 man bracket, wrestlers had to place in the top 4 of both the district & region (top 3 for a couple of years) and kids felt they had climbed a huge mountain just to qualify for the state tournament a state title was very elusive. Each year you have kids (both D1 & D2) that reach the finals that would not have made it out of their district tournament in the past. It's not the kids fault they are only doing what we as adults have forced upon them but the state title is not elusive today.

Edited by cbg

Yes every one on here has an opinion. Sum more than others, and it is what is, call it as you see it. It one dodges another wrestler, maybe it is good strategy. Some go up in weights to face tougher wrestlers as some go down. I have known a few that did exactly that, it was to wrestle the guy going for records. Now if you are doing it to avoid, then you get what you get.

Let the best step on the mat and settle it there, have no rumors or comments on who skipped who.

here is an opinion then, I would not want you to coach my kids, based on your comments on this subject.

This is a real simple answer in my opinion. I guess Baker is tough mentally and physically and wanted to avenge his loss from last year's state finals match when he was a freshman and Manley was a Junior. He wasn't running from Doster, he just wanted a piece of Manley. And he got it! I am sure that a Baker v. Doster match would be a great on too. I know Doster wouldn't run from that challenge, and neither would Baker. That would be a great match.

As for Baylor: They are ranked #1 at 119, 125, 130, #2 @ 135, and #1 at 140, among others. They could easily win all those weights and have multiple State champs, but because Manley is not very manly, he wants the easy way out. Lets all agree if he would stand up a win the individual title at the weight he has wrestled all year regardless of what he certified at, we would all give him the respect that he wants/ and would then deserve. I know my college coaching friends that I have talked to about this, aren't too impressed!

Yeah Ill call BS on this post. You havent talked to any of your "college coaching friends" I can promise you that, and even if you have, I highly doubt they would care if a kid cut weight to insure a second state title. Heres why, Ive talked to coaches from different colleges about what they look at when recruiting, and heres what they told me. They dont necessarily look too much on what kids do in state. They focus more on national tourneys, how you carry yourself before a match, after a match, willingness to listen to what your coaches are saying before and during a match, not if you cut weight your senior year cause you didnt want to face a certain person. Cole Mosley, Carlos Calloway, and Matt Johnson are no easy task for anybody. Its part of the sport, kids cut weight, who cares what their motivation is for doing it?

Edited by WrestlingGod

It's funny (or really sad if you think about it) but every year this same discussion takes place. The only difference is which wrestlers we are talking about, and who is upset by the moves. Seems to me, that the ones that get upset are the ones that have something to lose. When it's your kid, or a kid on your team it's ok, but when it's someone else then it's not?

Every year kids drop or change weight classes. EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Why is anyone acting surprised that someone might change again this year. Shoot, if you look, there are more than a dozen kids that have changed already, and more to come. But we have someone jumping on this young man about a POSSIBLE change? Come on, nothing has been said that it is a certain and we are calling this young man names for what someone things is POSSIBLE?

What if Bakes moves back up to 140? What if he drops to 130? Nothing, and I mean nothing has been decided to my knowledge on either of these boys on where they will end up at state. But yet someone has taken it upon himself to call names? Pretty sad if you ask me. Sure glad it's not your kid that some adult is calling names. And an adult hiding behing a screen name at that?

Cutting weight, shuffling line ups, wrestle offs....... it is all part of the sport. It is not as much as it use to be, but creating an individual match-up and a stronger team line up is part of the sport. I cut 18 pounds to avoid the national prep champion when I wrestled in Virginia. Call me what ever you want, but I got tired of learning about moves I had never seen before and had no counter move.

I doubt he will even drop, but if he does it will just be more fodder for the all knowing internet wrestlers. Manly is a tough kid with a great collegiate style. Whoever, whatever, whenever, he wrestles it is a tough match. No one can win the amount of matches he has won without being a darn good wrestler.

With all that said, Baylor vs. McCallie, the state dual, and individual tournament will be interesting this year from 103 to the big boys. :thumb:

I hate to hurt your feelings but a state title in Tennessee is no longer elusive. Back when Tennessee had one division, 16 man bracket, wrestlers had to place in the top 4 of both the district & region (top 3 for a couple of years) and kids felt they had climbed a huge mountain just to qualify for the state tournament a state title was very elusive. Each year you have kids (both D1 & D2) that reach the finals that would not have made it out of their district tournament in the past. It's not the kids fault they are only doing what we as adults have forced upon them but the state title is not elusive today.

I'll jump in on this one. You are selling a TN State Championship too short. Having had a son that competed and placed nationally in middle school, then worked his butt off to win one state title in TN, I know personally how difficult this is. So do the Jaekel's, Millers, Simpsons, Boones and many others. There are also guys that have just won one and could not get a second.

Our number one guys in each weight class that actually win state (not second or third) are consistently very good or great wrestlers. Also don't pump those other states more than they deserve. A great example, Jake Marlin, freshman state champion last year from Iowa. He placed 9th in a bracket last year won by one of our West TN kids, then he wins Iowa state? Many states (for example AL, GA and MO) have more classifications than TN watering down their talent. A title in TN is meaningful and consistently (with few exceptions) equates to a very good wrestler.

This thread started off congratulating a great kid for a phenomenal career and pointing out that he had a chance to set the state record for wins. How someone who knows nothing about Alex's motivation or character can publicly question either says much more about the poster than Alex. There's not a program in the country that wouldn't want an Alex Manley wrestling for it. I only wish he was at MCC!

Edited by takedown3

This thread started off congratulating a great kid for a phenomenal career and pointing out that he had a chance to set the state record for wins. How someone who knows nothing about Alex's motivation or character can publicly question either says much more about the poster than Alex. There's not a program in the country that wouldn't want an Alex Manley wrestling for it. I only wish he was at MCC!

Nice post takedown3.

Word on the steet is that Manley is going down to 130 lbs. after losing to Baker from Christian Brothers. Is this true? If this is true, how can a wrestler who is about to set a state record for most wins leave a weight class due to a underclassman? What does this do to Reece Bennet?

Baylor wrestling is a lot like Jason Bourne,,,they don't do random! Congratulations to Alex on an already amazing high school career,,,and best of luck at State!

CC