Miss Basketball Thread

CoachT

Chadarryl Clay is a Junior at GPS and already has many accomplishments that many players don’t achieve until their Senior year:

Ranked 9th in the Nation in the Point Guard position by ESPN Hoopgurlz

All-Region, Freshman and Sophomore year

All-State, Sophomore year

1st team Best of Preps in Chattanooga

Leading scorer for GPS, who is currently 16-1, winnings include wins over Baylor and Walker Valley (ranked 5th in AAA, and only loss is to GPS).

Averaging 15 points and 6 assist a game

Lead her AAU team to the 2010 AAU National semi-finals

Already has 7 offers from Div 1 colleges, including 2 SEC offers and 2 ACC offers and is being recruited by over 50 schools.

Scored her 1000th point of her high school career, early in her Junior year.

Is a 3 year starter for GPS

Has a 3.7 GPA

Member of the Beta Club

She is an all-around good student and athlete and is worthy of a Miss Basketball nomination for Div II AA.

With the response and with as many signees (quality signees) that have already been mentioned this year, Tennessee Girls Basketball has to be one of the best known products in the nation. Many underclassman are in the mix and the selection is very, very deep. Good thing the State Universities also know this and have looked this situation over. Good things the Southeast schools have been active in recruiting these players.

BBE, you may have done it already but put your list on this site so we can see your selections. What schools do your selections go to would help also. Nobody on here makes any decision as to ultimate winner. Others do the certification of the results. coacht T just collects some of the names.

Actually, I and other media members who are reading these threads are the ones who vote on the nominees. A committee then selects the winners from those nominees. Media members are good at research but rely on fans such as the ones on here to make sure they have all of the possibilities in hand when doing that research.

Actually, I and other media members who are reading these threads are the ones who vote on the nominees. A committee then selects the winners from those nominees. Media members are good at research but rely on fans such as the ones on here to make sure they have all of the possibilities in hand when doing that research.

I don't know how Miss Basketball is voted,whether it's the sports writers,coaches or both.Also see a lot of people talking about stats.That's not a true measure.I'm sure Simmons from Perry co plays about the whole game with her team not winning as much.The other players,Carla Daniel,Rachel Garland and T.T. Flowers are all on winning teams that have beaten a lot of teams very bad and probably haven't played the whole game.I know Flowers has been pulled early in a lot of games.One I saw was Lake Co was winning about 30 to 4 in the first quarter and never played the rest of the game.and Lake Co insn't the same team when she's not on the floor.She could score 20 to 30 points a game every game if the coach were to leave her in.Fastest girl I've seen in Single a.The only player I've seen close is the Street girl from Bradford.I'm sure any of the girls are worthy.

Our girls will get a nice dose of Daniel again tonight when we go play Wayne County. I hope we are able to contain her, but she is at such another level compared to the younger girls we have. I expect her to have yet another double-double tonight, especially since the game is at Waynesboro. We did a really good job on her in the 1st half when we played them here in Collinwood back at the beginning of the month. She completely dominated the second half of the ballgame though. I may get lynched for saying this because I do support the green, but I do feel like Daniel should be a definite nominee. Her versatility and ability to be a major factor on both offense and defense seperates her from most. I don't know if she should be the winner or not, it is not my decision to make, but she deserves careful consideration.

I also saw where Simmons of Perry county had 30 points and 8 assists last night against Decatur county, who i believe is 2nd in 15a behind scotts hill. I don't know about all of perry's games as I have only seen them the three times and two of those where from when we played them, but i can tell you they have played a tougher schedule than any of us in 12A, and i would say maybe the toughest in all of class A. There are no cupcakes on their schedule outside of clifton which everyone in our district has to play. i know they played lake county twice and lost both times, but if i remember the box score correctly, Simmons had like 20+ in both games. Neither game looked like a blow-out.

I don't think it really matters who out of those five mentioned gets nominated, they are all worthy. But I don't think a team's record has much to do with it, becuase records are deceiving and sometimes there are great players on not so good teams.

Guest mchsassistman

From District 9A, it is quite obvious the top player is junior guard Rachel Garland from Moore County, followed closely behind by her teammate Heather Vann. Either or both of these ladies should be considered for MISS BASKETBALL!

Class AAA

This is the easiest of the classes in terms of picking a winner. However, it is the toughest class in determining who the other two nominees should be. The favorites for a nomination should be:

1. Shacobia Barbee, 5-11 Junior F, Riverdale*

2. Kyra Kerstetter, 6-0 Senior W, Brentwood

3. Caya Williams, 6-1 Junior C, Mt. Juliet

4. Basharra Graves, 6-2 Junior F, Clarksville

5. Isabelle Harrison, 6-3 Senior C, Hillsboro

Others to Consider:

- Hasina Muhammad, 6-1 Senior W, Memphis Ridgeway

- Shanice Cason, 5-5 Senior PG, Siegel

- Ashlee Mitchell, 5-5 Sophomore PG, Tennessee

- Danielle Ballard, 5-9 Junior SG, Memphis Central

- Hannah Goolsby, 5-10 Sophomore W/F, Cookeville

- Jessy Ward, 5-7 Senior CG, Clarksville

- Armeka Booker, 6-0 Senior F, Oak Ridge

Bashaara has tried out and made on the USA basketball team for the last 2 summers(and contributed to the 2 gold metals won playing with and against some of the bset players in the world), was a parade all american 2010, lead Clarksville High to their first state tourny since 1920's, is ranked 7th in her class nationally as well as 3rd in her position nationally and 1st in TN. She leads her team in assist (making the team as a whole better)

(side note Jessy Ward is a Junior)

Edited by catsmom201211

PTGUARD 12 basically has the closet account of all the 3 divisions. If you didn't see the Riverdale/Memphis Central game it was one to go down in the books. Memphis always brings the talent and we all know what Riverdale has grown into. Most of those girls play together in the summer for the Flight team. You have Wayne County Daniel girl going to Belmont to play with her sister and is a beast in the post. Their pt, guard also made some noise going to Union with Cannon County Emily Simmons who is also should be highly thought of a spot for the list. Alycia Simmons has played w/p/pg at one time in her time at Perry County. She has ability to let off the 3 at any time she can create her own shot and shoot over her player. Rachel Garland who plays hard on both ends of the floor. She guards anyone with no fear and plays many spots all with the same passion. She plays older than what she is and will continue to grow stronger. Kyra Kerstetta out of Brentwood going to Wm & Mary she is long and great off the short and rebounder. She has good hands and can get up and down the floor.

Tennessee is well stocked with athletes(female). It is time for young ladies to step up and be right there with the mens basketball. The girls basketball is changing. The more of the outside ball is brought into the school ball and that is why the shot clock will be added soon. No more stalling the game will be that quick. Let the high school catch up to where most of the teams already are-----------------it is coming.

From District 9A, it is quite obvious the top player is junior guard Rachel Garland from Moore County, followed closely behind by her teammate Heather Vann. Either or both of these ladies should be considered for MISS BASKETBALL!

I agree! Heather Vann, a senior and Rachel Garland, a junior both drive their team in different ways. You can check their current game and career stats out at www.mcgbb.com . Both have high GPA's and are leaders on and off of the court.

PTGUARD 12 basically has the closet account of all the 3 divisions. If you didn't see the Riverdale/Memphis Central game it was one to go down in the books. Memphis always brings the talent and we all know what Riverdale has grown into. Most of those girls play together in the summer for the Flight team. You have Wayne County Daniel girl going to Belmont to play with her sister and is a beast in the post. Their pt, guard also made some noise going to Union with Cannon County Emily Simmons who is also should be highly thought of a spot for the list. Alycia Simmons has played w/p/pg at one time in her time at Perry County. She has ability to let off the 3 at any time she can create her own shot and shoot over her player. Rachel Garland who plays hard on both ends of the floor. She guards anyone with no fear and plays many spots all with the same passion. She plays older than what she is and will continue to grow stronger. Kyra Kerstetta out of Brentwood going to Wm & Mary she is long and great off the short and rebounder. She has good hands and can get up and down the floor.

Tennessee is well stocked with athletes(female). It is time for young ladies to step up and be right there with the mens basketball. The girls basketball is changing. The more of the outside ball is brought into the school ball and that is why the shot clock will be added soon. No more stalling the game will be that quick. Let the high school catch up to where most of the teams already are-----------------it is coming.

Good comment. Tennessee womens' basketball has come a very long way since 1980 (?) and the old three on three, half court game. Other than perhaps California and one or two other large states in terms of population, Tennessee teams have shown at every level that they can play with just about anyone. I had the good fortune of being in town for business reasons a couple of years ago when the NIKE tournament took place and I believe a TN team was ranked the second best by ESPN writers after the tourney. And this was the top ranked of the two December events. Memphis Central should have won the other tournament which preceded it but horrible calls determined the outcome of a critical game, costing MC a one point loss.

You guys are right. You can take your top 10 or 12 AAA players, drop the names in a hat and pull out five starters who make an all-star team. The girls are taller, more athletic in general now that they're allowed to run the court and play a complete game and many are truly student athletes. You couldn't guess I am a native Tennessean could you? But having lived in NY, CA, TX, KY and now GA and having worked for years abroad with the opportunity to watch boys and girls sporting events in the evening, I feel my comments are supported by the facts. So let's enjoy the playoffs, keep up the great, insightful comments and please ladies and gents, describe the games for those of us who live too far out of state to have the privilege of actually sitting in the stands and enjoying those games. I love hearing of games from A to AAA, east to west so even though I'm an east TN native with a small 'bias' for that area, it really doesn't matter. Love the playoffs except for one thing... it means another season has come and gone.

Good comment. Tennessee womens' basketball has come a very long way since 1980 (?) and the old three on three, half court game. Other than perhaps California and one or two other large states in terms of population, Tennessee teams have shown at every level that they can play with just about anyone. I had the good fortune of being in town for business reasons a couple of years ago when the NIKE tournament took place and I believe a TN team was ranked the second best by ESPN writers after the tourney. And this was the top ranked of the two December events. Memphis Central should have won the other tournament which preceded it but horrible calls determined the outcome of a critical game, costing MC a one point loss.

You guys are right. You can take your top 10 or 12 AAA players, drop the names in a hat and pull out five starters who make an all-star team. The girls are taller, more athletic in general now that they're allowed to run the court and play a complete game and many are truly student athletes. You couldn't guess I am a native Tennessean could you? But having lived in NY, CA, TX, KY and now GA and having worked for years abroad with the opportunity to watch boys and girls sporting events in the evening, I feel my comments are supported by the facts. So let's enjoy the playoffs, keep up the great, insightful comments and please ladies and gents, describe the games for those of us who live too far out of state to have the privilege of actually sitting in the stands and enjoying those games. I love hearing of games from A to AAA, east to west so even though I'm an east TN native with a small 'bias' for that area, it really doesn't matter. Love the playoffs except for one thing... it means another season has come and gone.

Jenna Adams of McMinn Central is pretty good, and she had a good state championship appearance last year. She is averaging close to 20 points this yr. (Her sophomore teammate, Elizabeth Masengil is also averaging close to 20.)

Class A

After watching all of these players throughout some point this year, there are five players who stand above the rest in terms of individual play, abilities, statistics, and college potential (any of the three would make great nominees):

1. Carly Daniel, 6-2 Senior F, Wayne County

2. Rachel Garland, 5-9 Junior W/F, Moore County

3. Alycia Simmons, 5-6 Senior CG, Perry County

4. T.T. Flowers, 5-5 Junior PG, Lake County

5. Layce Colter, 5-5 Senior PG, Red Boiling Springs

Others to Consider:

- Keta Robinette, 5-6 Senior SG, Marion County

- Jordan Galey, 5-10 Senior W/F, Greenfield

- Caroline Warden, 5-5 Senior PG, Jackson County

- Heather Vann, 5-10 Senior F, Moore County

- Alaina Jordan, 5-9 Senior CG, Coalfield

Caroline Warden is a JR.

Jackson Co. has no SRs on their roster.

:flower:

Right on target for Class A. The only player i have not seen this year from that list is Flowers, but I saw her last year. She's really good--and fast! Colter is a good player but when you play the types of teams her team plays, it is easy to put up 20+ ppg. I think you have to consider the level of competition in respect to the player's numbers. The first 4 all play on teams that play tough competition night in and night out, including non-district games. I think any of the 3 from the first 4 would be great nominees. I have grown up watching Daniel play here in Wayne County. She is just so tough when she wants to be and I don't think she has even reached her potential. Our team has had more than its fair share of struggles with the Simmons girl from perry co. She is good at just about all facets of the game, and is well respected by coaches in this area. The Garland girl from moore county is an absolute beast. She plays multiple positions and does everything for Moore County that they need her to do. Flowers is super quick and can score in bunches. I think she is a good floor leader as well, if I remember correctly.

T.T. showed as a freshman at the stste against Oliver Springs and I believe the girl that won Miss Basketball that she could match up.T.T. had over 20 points in that game.Fastest player I've seen in Single A .Now T.T. has more shooters around her and doesnt have to do as much scoring but she is the player that makes them go.Her breaking the press and passing to open team mates and not many can keep her from taking the ball to the basket in the open.Her defense and steals alone are woth 10 points a game.Plus people may not realize it,but she can get off the floor.She plays under the basket wheneven the coach plays a team with a couple big girls a lot to help Carnation.T.T. probably leads the team in blocked shots.Carnation Hart is a special player as well.I really hope to get the opportunity to see Carly Daniel and Carnation go at it.Carnation is so quick,Bradford,Greenfield ,Union City has to double team her down low to keep her her spinning and going for a layup.I've seen her play against players 6'4 in Ann Jones from Liberty and played pretty darn good.So..size isn't going to bother Lake Co like it would against some slower teams.The speed of Lake Co will offset the size in a lot of games.

Edited by mrbigster