D1 Brackets on line

StarRaider

OK...I just didn't want to go there due to the fact that one of my recruits is involved.

But CLEARLY having 2 of the top 3 in the state this season at 171 in the SAME QUARTERS?????? This is beyond ridiculous, especially when one of those 2 has only lost by a DQ and one match at 189 this season.

And then to top it off, Manning gets rewarded for his Region Championship by being slotted into the #4 "seed" spot, just so that Henry and Schay can be "separated"?

My thoughts on where seeds should be at 171:

#1 Schay

#2/#3 Manning

#2/#3 Roberts

#4 Henry

#5 Carpenter

The way it is now...the TOP 3 guys (arguably...but not very argumentative) are all in the same half. 2 of the 3 will not make the finals for a state championship opportunity.

Coach, the only wrestler that was seperated= Holden Schay, the others were seperated by region by not being in the same quarter bracket. The other wrestlers were selected on blind draw. While You have 3 of the best in top half of bracket, Manning will be in Semi's his quarter is a cake walk, the other two in Shay and Roberts is a tuff draw. Henry wasnt done any favors, to start the tournament off with Crouch and maybe he gets to face Pinkstaff in the second round, I wouldnt exactly call that a great draw but one that is deserved by the way he is wrestling at the moment. I think the Sale Creek wrestler or Stull makes it to Semi's in other quarter bracket, so maybe look else where for your bracket complaints. Any of these young men can step up at a given time and win this weight class.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow. at 135 lopez and henley will meet in the round of 16. thats gonna be rough considering the number 1 and 2 in the state can't meet in the finals, and only one can reach the championship finals.

These brackets are full of ranked kids facing each other in the second round with non-ranked competitors having the opportunity to advance in weaker match-ups because of the current system. The TSSAA tends to react very slowly in implementing the right protocols for the sport of wrestling. It took so long to get double-elimination instituted; hopefully thorough seeding and bracket alignment will take place soon. At least thankfully double-elimination is in effect so that hopefully there won't be an unfortunate wrestler eliminated early due to an early loss and dysfunctional bracketology.

Quick question, at 140 how is Ronquai Love allowed to wrestle? If I'm not mistaken didn't he get a flagrant misconduct while wrestling Michael Gray for 3rd & 4th at Regionals? So according to the rules he would not be able to wrestle. Just wondering but am I right on this one?

And for one I do agree that they need to start seeding at state by head to head, because I have seen numerous times where people get worse drawls then others when they have beaten the kid that got 2nd or stuff like that when they are legitimately better then kids that place higher then them.

PRT iii :flower:

Edited by PRTiii

Your frustrations are justified, but some of you Tennessee wrestling newcomers don't realize just how far we've come. Years ago, when the State Tournament travelled around, then landed in Big Mac at UTC, there was no process of seperation and it was terrible and unjust. While this system isn't perfect, it's much better and actually might be the only realistic answer. Do you want a seeding meeting for the State Tournament? Can you imagine the bickering and fighting? What about triangles where A beats B and B beats C, but C beats A? The problems would be endless. What I'd like to do is thank the TSSAA for finally passing a double-elimination tournament. You want a truer representation of the best 6 at each weight? This will go a long way. :thumb:

In the end, any wrestler who wins the State Championship will have to go through the entire field to win at their weight. No matter what round you meet a tough opponent, you have to beat that opponent on the mat. If you are not able to do that through five rounds, you are not a state champion. At least the tournament directors had the wisdom to make this a double elimination tournament so those kids with a tough draw or a bad match can wrestle their way back in this tournament and place. No system would please everyone, but if a wrestler plans to win the big prize, he needs to be prepared to take on all comers, regardless of what round they meet.

Why do you have to be a region champ just to prove that placing in the state the year before means something. Sometimes the top 2 guys are in the same region? If you place you should be reconized as a medalist. There are to many good kids wrestling state championship caliber matches in the first round or two and easier matches after that

Why do you have to be a region champ just to prove that placing in the state the year before means something. Sometimes the top 2 guys are in the same region? If you place you should be reconized as a medalist. There are to many good kids wrestling state championship caliber matches in the first round or two and easier matches after that

Tribal55, I agree with you. A great example is DI 135. Now I know some people would say that Henley should have won the region so he could of been "seperated" which I agree. However, how fair is it to Lopez who won his region and is now rewarded with a possible 2nd round match with a medalist. There are two sides to this issue that should be looked at. Same thing at 112, 119 and I am sure there are other examples but it seems like the TSSAA could make some adjustments to spread out these medalist who didn't win their region enough to prevent first or second round match ups of medalist. Just my thoughts on this matter.

Your frustrations are justified, but some of you Tennessee wrestling newcomers don't realize just how far we've come. Years ago, when the State Tournament travelled around, then landed in Big Mac at UTC, there was no process of seperation and it was terrible and unjust. While this system isn't perfect, it's much better and actually might be the only realistic answer. Do you want a seeding meeting for the State Tournament? Can you imagine the bickering and fighting? What about triangles where A beats B and B beats C, but C beats A? The problems would be endless. What I'd like to do is thank the TSSAA for finally passing a double-elimination tournament. You want a truer representation of the best 6 at each weight? This will go a long way. :thumb:

Double elimination is a good step and what we have is better than nothing, but......they seed the Beast of the East and the NCAAs. It's not that hard, set criteria and follow it. If the TSSAA was as worried about the wrestlers and what was best for the sport as they are about profit then it would be no problem. They should be ashamed.

Nothing I've read here is new. The debates in the past have been good/bad draws and lack of a double elimination (which has been rectified). Bickering about who got a good draw or a bad draw is pointless and progresses no one forward. Get over yourselves and enjoy the show come Thursday.

Good luck to every wrestler in the field.

like i said in an ealier post, seeding the state would not be hard. All you would have to do is seed the region champs first (just 8 kidsagainst each other) then the second place kids are seperated to the other half bracket and seeded against each other (this would be seeding 4 kids against each other) then the 3rds from region will be placed in the other quarter bracket in the same half bracket as the kid that finished 2nd in their region (this will be seeding two kids against each other) then the fourth place kids from region should have one spot for them to fit in. This is not difficult and should be done. The kids deserve it.

Nothing I've read here is new. The debates in the past have been good/bad draws and lack of a double elimination (which has been rectified). Bickering about who got a good draw or a bad draw is pointless and progresses no one forward. Get over yourselves and enjoy the show come Thursday.

Good luck to every wrestler in the field.

Lynx, The same thing could have been said last year and look, now we have double elimination. I wasn't bickering but pointing out the obvious. Sorry if it bothered you but this is a message board for wrestling fans. These conversation will happen here so to quote you "get over yourself". Just kidding.

Good luck.