D1 Brackets on line

StarRaider

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lynx, The same thing could have been said last year and look, now we have double elimination. I wasn't bickering but pointing out the obvious. Sorry if it bothered you but this is a message board for wrestling fans. These conversation will happen here so to quote you "get over yourself". Just kidding.

Good luck.

I wasn't referring specifically to your post, but to the general thread. And I am a wrestling fan and a wrestler, and I hated it when my teammates got bad draws when the tournament was a carry-tournament. My point is that double elimination is alot more feasible, as evidenced by Coach Blair's and the rest of Williamson County coaches' hard work, than a complete seeding that makes everyone happy. How would a region champion feel if the guy he beat was seeded ahead of him? Unlikely, but I can see that happening to say a Region 4 or Region 6 wrestler.

Odds are I won't be at the Ag Center, but if I was I would be more excited for my alma mater and to see some great wrestling.

In the end, any wrestler who wins the State Championship will have to go through the entire field to win at their weight. No matter what round you meet a tough opponent, you have to beat that opponent on the mat. If you are not able to do that through five rounds, you are not a state champion. At least the tournament directors had the wisdom to make this a double elimination tournament so those kids with a tough draw or a bad match can wrestle their way back in this tournament and place. No system would please everyone, but if a wrestler plans to win the big prize, he needs to be prepared to take on all comers, regardless of what round they meet.

Although in theory you are correct, it is still a bad system. Since the example of Woods / Lewis / Seaman has already been addressed (and my direct connection to Franklin) I'll use this as my primary example. Last year at 130 Austin Woods and Marvin Lopez met in the semis instead of what could have possibly been the finals match. Since there was no proper seeding, only seperating, that was when the two had to meet. Well now if you were to take into account head to head, Woods has beaten Seaman this year and would in theory be ahead of him and seeded 2nd. That way those 2 would meet in the semis with the winner advancing to the finals.

I also agree with the point that Coach Knepp makes at the 152 weight class

IMO, and this is going to become my new "fight" to figure out a proper seeding, you take seedable wrestlers - which would be region champs as well as previous state medalists, and then figure out a way to properly seed those wrestlers. It is almost impossible to have a seeding meeting, take into effect head to head, or common opponent, but there has got to be some sort system. Our current one doesn't do justice.

On another note, since we Williamson County schools are "running" the tournament, I think that Blair, Grindstaff, Peck, Becker, and myself would be happy to do all of the seeding for the tournament if needed. :thumb:

Coach, the only wrestler that was seperated= Holden Schay, the others were seperated by region by not being in the same quarter bracket. The other wrestlers were selected on blind draw. While You have 3 of the best in top half of bracket, Manning will be in Semi's his quarter is a cake walk, the other two in Shay and Roberts is a tuff draw. Henry wasnt done any favors, to start the tournament off with Crouch and maybe he gets to face Pinkstaff in the second round, I wouldnt exactly call that a great draw but one that is deserved by the way he is wrestling at the moment. I think the Sale Creek wrestler or Stull makes it to Semi's in other quarter bracket, so maybe look else where for your bracket complaints. Any of these young men can step up at a given time and win this weight class.

Manning gets a cakewalk?!!! You are insulting Goose and the wrestlers he must face.Goose doesn't take anyone or anything lightly and to come out and make an assumption that the other wrestlers are bad.,.is absolutely the dumbest comment to date! All these wrestlers must be pretty good because they are wrestling in the state tourney!! HISTORY LESSON:last year Nick Alemeany(hixson)placed 4th in region 4 and was seeded 8th or 9th and he went to the championship and almost won it. Some people are so full of themselves it makes me sick!!!

Manning gets a cakewalk?!!! You are insulting Goose and the wrestlers he must face.Goose doesn't take anyone or anything lightly and to come out and make an assumption that the other wrestlers are bad.,.is absolutely the dumbest comment to date! All these wrestlers must be pretty good because they are wrestling in the state tourney!! HISTORY LESSON:last year Nick Alemeany(hixson)placed 4th in region 4 and was seeded 8th or 9th and he went to the championship and almost won it. Some people are so full of themselves it makes me sick!!!

Im glad you didnt write our history books and really your upset that i might have said something demeaning about Goose, which i wouldnt do, maybe more of a respect comment then a jab but take it however u like, Goose has a good draw. Hixson wrestler placed 3rd in region and he made the best of a good draw. He wasnt even seeded, I wish people would know what their talking about before they get on here and post, this board used to be fun and provided some insight now its about pumping your kids up because maybe they dont get the respect you think they deserve. GOOD DRAWS HAPPEN, ask anyone on this board, maybe its time for you too make another screen name and vote again.

Im glad you didnt write our history books and really your upset that i might have said something demeaning about Goose, which i wouldnt do, maybe more of a respect comment then a jab but take it however u like, Goose has a good draw. Hixson wrestler placed 3rd in region and he made the best of a good draw. He wasnt even seeded, I wish people would know what their talking about before they get on here and post, this board used to be fun and provided some insight now its about pumping your kids up because maybe they dont get the respect you think they deserve. GOOD DRAWS HAPPEN, ask anyone on this board, maybe its time for you too make another screen name and vote again.

I read what you wrote and,I wouldn't take it as respect..I would say it was more like Goose was getting something handed to him.I don't know who you are referring to exactly,when you say "people pump thier kids up on here"....I never have and never will.And maybe you need to make another screen-name,since your new one has 2 post,but its obvious you are a coacht vet.

Edited by GOOSESDAD

Although in theory you are correct, it is still a bad system. Since the example of Woods / Lewis / Seaman has already been addressed (and my direct connection to Franklin) I'll use this as my primary example. Last year at 130 Austin Woods and Marvin Lopez met in the semis instead of what could have possibly been the finals match. Since there was no proper seeding, only seperating, that was when the two had to meet. Well now if you were to take into account head to head, Woods has beaten Seaman this year and would in theory be ahead of him and seeded 2nd.

I can't find that match on NWCA? When did it occur?

Case in point #2

130 lb weight class.

Obvious #1: Campbell Lewis, Soddy Daisy

Obvious #2: Austin Woods, Franklin

Scott Seaman is a good wrestler and I know he finished 2nd last year...and love the kid to death...but it is pretty obvious to everyone in the wrestling community that Austin Woods and Campbell Lewis are the clear favorites at this weight class and now ONE of them will be stripped of the opportunity at a state title.

Placing 2nd at 112 the year before should not catapult you into the #3 "seed" at 130 lb weight class either as is the case with Jericho Crutcher, again a very good wrestler.

How should it be seeded, just looking at it?

#1 Lewis

#2 Woods

#3 Seaman

#4 Crutcher

#5 Maxwell

Can't agree more,,,whatever the reason,,the process and /or end result is broken! No way on Gods green earth Mr Lewis and Mr Woods should be on the same side. 130 is full of studs,,,really good strong group,,,but its clear that Woods should be seeded 1 or 2,,,an insult that hes not. Its a shame that one of the two best wrestlers in the state at 130 will finish 3rd at best! Everything else at 130 looks like it will fix itself and allow folks to finish where they should,,,Mullins is a 3rd or 4th seed in my mind,,,yet the brackets look fine on bottom. Lets face it in reality,,,if you kicked my butt last year,,,but I kicked your butt last week,,,which result is most logical and / or fair to the wrestler in this scenario? Im not trying to pick a fight,,,this is just wrong and needs to be fixed.

When its all said and done:

1. Mr Campbell Lewis (one of my favorite HS wrestlers)

2. Mullins (beat Seaman and Crutcher this year)

3. Woods

CC,,,sends

One possible solution would be to seed the State Tournament based on a point system. This is a system Illinois uses and for arguments sake, just replace regional where they have sectional. TSSAA would have to make only a few adjustments here but at least it lends credibility for each wrestler's current season.

A separating/seeding criterion will be used on all

sectional champs to separate them in each

weight class according to a listing of specific

performance criterion that relates to the overall

performance for that year and the previous

year’s state tournament only.

Establish a point system for each of

the sectional winners. The wrestler that has the

highest number of points would be seeded

number one; the wrestler with the second highest

points would be seeded number two etc.

The wrestlers that placed second and third in

each sectional would be assigned to a designated

spot in the opposite bracket of the winner

from that sectional. For 3A, the 4th place finisher

would be assigned to a designated spot on

the same side of the bracket as the sectional

champ, but not in the first round.

Returning state champion at that

weight class .......................................35 points

Returning state champions at any

weight class .......................................30 points

Undefeated wrestler (minimum of 20

matches) ............................................20 points

37 or more wins..................15 points

32 to 36 wins ......................10 points

27 to 31 wins ........................7 points

22 to 26 wins ........................5 points

Returning 2nd or 3rd place winner at

that weight class ................................25 points

Returning 4th, 5th or 6th place winner

at that weight class ............................20 points

Returning place winner at any weight

class ............................................15 points

Returning state qualifier at any weight

class ............................................10 points

If tied for a place, flip of a coin would

determine the seed of the wrestlers for placement

of that seed on the bracket, except for the

number one (1) seed and if the returning champ

at that weight class is tied for the number one

(1) seed, the returning champ will be seeded

number one (1).

One possible solution would be to seed the State Tournament based on a point system. This is a system Illinois uses and for arguments sake, just replace regional where they have sectional. TSSAA would have to make only a few adjustments here but at least it lends credibility for each wrestler's current season.

A separating/seeding criterion will be used on all

sectional champs to separate them in each

weight class according to a listing of specific

performance criterion that relates to the overall

performance for that year and the previous

year’s state tournament only.

Establish a point system for each of

the sectional winners. The wrestler that has the

highest number of points would be seeded

number one; the wrestler with the second highest

points would be seeded number two etc.

The wrestlers that placed second and third in

each sectional would be assigned to a designated

spot in the opposite bracket of the winner

from that sectional. For 3A, the 4th place finisher

would be assigned to a designated spot on

the same side of the bracket as the sectional

champ, but not in the first round.

Returning state champion at that

weight class .......................................35 points

Returning state champions at any

weight class .......................................30 points

Undefeated wrestler (minimum of 20

matches) ............................................20 points

37 or more wins..................15 points

32 to 36 wins ......................10 points

27 to 31 wins ........................7 points

22 to 26 wins ........................5 points

Returning 2nd or 3rd place winner at

that weight class ................................25 points

Returning 4th, 5th or 6th place winner

at that weight class ............................20 points

Returning place winner at any weight

class ............................................15 points

Returning state qualifier at any weight

class ............................................10 points

If tied for a place, flip of a coin would

determine the seed of the wrestlers for placement

of that seed on the bracket, except for the

number one (1) seed and if the returning champ

at that weight class is tied for the number one

(1) seed, the returning champ will be seeded

number one (1).

This is the kind of thing i am talking about.

I can't find that match on NWCA? When did it occur?

They would have met during the Ryan Tournament which is why it wouldn't have been on NWCA but, my apologies.... Seaman got 6th at the Ryan tournament and for some reason I thought that they had met in the semis..... my fault. Shame on me :oops:

Regardless, there would still be some type of common oppenent there so I don't feel like a absolute and complete arse