AAA State Tournament

dirtydawg15

If you compare the rest of the State in AAA against the city of Memphis I think about four teams would DOMINATE, in impressive fashion, any other area of the state....White Station, Melrose, Southwind and Central. In fact, three of these teams are ranked between 30 and 50 for the entire country.... I know that really doesn't mean anything but it does speak to the fact these teams are super talented.

Don't be sucked into the argument Memphis is down because that's just not the case. It would be a monumental upset if a AAA team from Memphis loses in the state...anything can happen but the odds of beating a Memphis team in AAA are really not that good. We are talking AAA not AA here...the Memphis Power teams are just on a different level than the rest of the state.

Memphis has teams like Craigmont, East, and Ridgeway that would not have much trouble winning any district in the State. Memphis will always be heavy with three or four power teams while a handful of others are forgotten about even though the second level teams routinely upset the powers....the only reason the second level teams are not powers is because they don't have the superstar upperclassman but they do have the superstar types just frosh and sophs. Next season people will talking about Ridgeway and East among the upper level top teams.....the train never stops or slows down. Some people aren't sold on East but I believe they will be a force next season...of course they have to prove it first.

This is noway a knock against the rest of the state it's just that going up against the top AAA teams out of Memphis is a steep climb and to beat them the margin for error would be slim for teams outside the Memphis area....you would have to have close to a perfect game on both ends of the court....on the other hand the margin of error for the top AAA teams out of Memphis against the rest of the state is a much wider gap....these teams could play terrible and still beat the rest of the state.

Sometimes I think even some of the fans from Memphis forget just how wide the gap is in AAA between Memphis and the rest of the State. I mean if you take a step back and think about it it's really stunning the level of competition these teams face night in night out....people are just so used to it and forget sometimes that level of play and competition cannot be found anywhere else in the state...NOT EVEN CLOSE.

I really don't think people outside of the area truly understand the incredible amount of talent these teams have. I feel confident in saying it's tougher to make it to state than it is to win it for these Memphis teams. But, again anything can happen and anybody can be beat. One of these days it's going to happen in an upset when a team catches lightning in a bottle but I can't see it happening anything close to on a consistent level year in year out.

Edited by yankees8589

If you compare the rest of the State in AAA against the city of Memphis I think about four teams would DOMINATE, in impressive fashion, any other area of the state....White Station, Melrose, Southwind and Central. In fact, three of these teams are ranked between 30 and 50 for the entire country.... I know that really doesn't mean anything but it does speak to the fact these teams are super talented.

Don't be sucked into the argument Memphis is down because that's just not the case. It would be a monumental upset if a AAA team from Memphis loses in the state...anything can happen but the odds of beating a Memphis team in AAA are really not that good. We are talking AAA not AA here...the Memphis Power teams are just on a different level than the rest of the state.

Memphis has teams like Craigmont, East, and Ridgeway that would not have much trouble winning any district in the State. Memphis will always be heavy with three or four power teams while a handful of others are forgotten about even though the second level teams routinely upset the powers....the only reason the second level teams are not powers is because they don't have the superstar upperclassman but they do have the superstar types just frosh and sophs. Next season people will talking about Ridgeway and East among the upper level top teams.....the train never stops or slows down. Some people aren't sold on East but I believe they will be a force next season...of course they have to prove it first.

This is noway a knock against the rest of the state it's just that going up against the top AAA teams out of Memphis is a steep climb and to beat them the margin for error would be slim for teams outside the Memphis area....you would have to have close to a perfect game on both ends of the court....on the other hand the margin of error for the top AAA teams out of Memphis against the rest of the state is a much wider gap....these teams could play terrible and still beat the rest of the state.

Sometimes I think even some of the fans from Memphis forget just how wide the gap is in AAA between Memphis and the rest of the State. I mean if you take a step back and think about it it's really stunning the level of competition these teams face night in night out....people are just so used to it and forget sometimes that level of play and competition cannot be found anywhere else in the state...NOT EVEN CLOSE.

I really don't think people outside of the area truly understand the incredible amount of talent these teams have. I feel confident in saying it's tougher to make it to state than it is to win it for these Memphis teams. But, again anything can happen and anybody can be beat. One of these days it's going to happen in an upset when a team catches lightning in a bottle but I can't see it happening anything close to on a consistent level year in year out.

Its not hard for me to belive Memphis teams are great the past few years But i do remember when all you heard about was Science Hill every year NOBODY could touch them now its your turn then it will be middle for a few years then back 2 the east thats they way its always been :roflol:

Just an example: Southwind beat Science Hill in their own backyard by 14 in the Arby's Classic this season. BTW, Science Hill is 30 and 3 right now or something like that and is a very good team too.

AAA State Champions and runner ups

2010 Melrose White Station

2009 White Station Raleigh Egypt

2008 Ridgeway White Station

2007 Maryville Clarksville

2006 Hamilton Shelbyville

2005 Ridgeway Jackson Northside

2004 White Station Jackson Northside

2003 White Station Bradley Central

2002 White Station Science Hill

2001 Bartlett Gallitan

2000 White Station Bradley Central

1999 White County Columbia Central

1998 White County White Station

1997 Clevland Brainerd

1996 Memphis East White Station

1995 Science Hill Brainerd

1994 Science Hill Overton

1993 Memphis Fairley Columbia Central

1992 Brainerd Columbia Central

1991 Hamilton Science Hill

1990 Science Hill Tyner

1989 Franklin Whites Creek

1988 Brainerd Memphis Northside

1987 Christian Brothers Dyersburg

1986 Westwood Kirby

1985 Whitehaven Westwood

1984 Brainerd Oakland

1983 Melrose Briarcrest

1982 Memphis Central Austin East

1981 Nashville Pearl Carver

1980 Memphis Northside Howard

1979 Memphis Northside Hamilton

1978 Melrose Haywood

1977 Austin East Hamilton

1976 McGavock Northside

21 Memphis 17 Runner ups (including Jackson NS, Haywood and Dyersburg)

5 Middle TN 9 Runner ups

9 East TN 9 Runner ups

That's about as consistently dominate (on balance) as you can get over 35 years, since TSAA went to three classification.

38 pieces of hardware compared to 18 for East TN

38 pieces of Hardware compared to 14 for Middle TN

26 out of 35 years Memphis has had a team at least play in the State Championship game

12 times at least two teams from West/Memphis played in the championship game

76/79 Memphis two State Championships

80/89 Memphis six State Championships

90/99 Memphis three State Championships

2000/2010 Memphis Ten State Championships

The only era Memphis has not dominated was the 90's and even then they won 3 out of 10, East with 5 and Middle with 2.

To speak to the parity of Memphis..13 teams have won it all over that stretch. If the State was based on seeding the best teams and not by substate getting in no telling how many the City of Memphis would have.

Whatever the case....THE CITY OF MEMPHIS HAS WON 10 OUT OF THE LAST 11 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS IN AAA. THIS STATE HAS NEVER EVER SEEN ANY REGION OF THE STATE THAT DOMINATED LIKE THAT IN THE HIGHEST CLASSIFICATION. AND IT WASN'T JUST ONE TEAM EITHER, A TOTAL OF SIX DIFFERENT TEAMS FROM THE SAME AREA WINING STATE CHAMPIONSHIP OVER THAT STRETCH IS JUST CRAZY. WHAT IT TELLS YOU IS THE LEVEL OF COMPETITION AND TALENT IS OFF THE CHARTS.

Edited by yankees8589
  • Upvote 1

Just an example: Southwind beat Science Hill in their own backyard by 14 in the Arby's Classic this season. BTW, Science Hill is 30 and 3 right now or something like that and is a very good team too.

2001 Bartlett Gallitan

1997 Clevland Brainerd

1990 Science Hill Tyner

1986 Westwood Kirby

1985 Whitehaven Westwood

1984 Brainerd Oakland

1983 Melrose Briarcrest

1978 Melrose Haywood

1976 McGavock Northside

5 Middle TN 9 Runner ups

9 East TN 9 Runner ups

That's about as consistently dominate (on balance) as you can get over 35 years, since TSAA went to three classification.

26 out of 35 years Memphis has had a team at least play in the State Championship game

The only era Memphis has not dominated was the 90's and even then they won 3 out of 10, East with 5 and Middle with 2.

To speak to the parity of Memphis..13 teams have won it all over that stretch. If the State was based on seeding the best teams and not by substate getting in no telling how many the City of Memphis would have.

Whatever the case....THE CITY OF MEMPHIS HAS WON 10 OUT OF THE LAST 11 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS IN AAA. THIS STATE HAS NEVER EVER SEEN ANY REGION OF THE STATE THAT DOMINATED LIKE THAT IN THE HIGHEST CLASSIFICATION. AND IT WASN'T JUST ONE TEAM EITHER, A TOTAL OF SIX DIFFERENT TEAMS FROM THE SAME AREA WINING STATE CHAMPIONSHIP OVER THAT STRETCH IS JUST CRAZY. WHAT IT TELLS YOU IS THE LEVEL OF COMPETITION AND TALENT IS OFF THE CHARTS.

That 1996 final was great between east and white station. Super guard match up between Tony Harris and Robert O'kelly.

You obviously just looked at the box score. The game was tied at halftime. It was a 1 point game with 2 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. And it was a 7 point game with 4 minutes left in the 4th. They did end up losing by 12, but I think this shows it wasn't a blow out.

It's not how you start, it’s how you finish. I was at the game and Bearden did a good job but the game was never in doubt.

2001 Bartlett Gallitan

1997 Clevland Brainerd

1990 Science Hill Tyner

1986 Westwood Kirby

1985 Whitehaven Westwood

1984 Brainerd Oakland

1983 Melrose Briarcrest

1978 Melrose Haywood

1976 McGavock Northside

5 Middle TN 9 Runner ups

9 East TN 9 Runner ups

Great post...yankee8589

Edited by Icy

I think the most notable thing going on in the AAA tournament is taking place out in Region 8. Melrose, Central and Southwind are on the same side of the draw. This means that only 1 of these teams is moving on. These are 3 of the teams mentioned in the original post and two of them will be going home.

In Region 2, Oak Ridge and Knox West have a potential matchup set for Tuesday night. Yet again, another one of the teams mentioned that is putting the jerseys away.

We shall see what takes place during what I'm sure will be a crazy week of basketball.