Region 6A

theGURU

I hate being unable to watch all of the games during tourney time. So, I'll put what I saw at the PC-Cornersville game.

Cornersville came out playing really well, and PC missed too many open looks (mostly lay-ups). The entire game seemed to be in a full court press with both teams racking up turnovers. I think it was #12 for Cornersville who hit about 4 or 5 threes in a row. With Cornersville up by about 10, PC made a run but came up short. With all of this being said, the biggest difference was Cornersville's ability to make free throws, while PC missed quite a bit.

What happened during the Santa Fe/Collinwood game? Was Loretto's game ever close?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion on Loretto game vs Richland

Richland was "this close" from winning the game...The difference early on was Richland missing free throws. At one point before half time Richland would have been up by 4-6 points, but instead went into half time score of 13-11. First half saw several ref calls go Richland's way, by the one official. By the end of the Third quarter saw Loretto's lead open to 7 I think it was. Loretto started getting calls by another certain official in the third..By the fourth quarter Richland K. Lovell and A. Edwards was in foul trouble, and Loretto kept the lead around 6 points til late when fouling, intentional fouls were called resulting in a 12 point differential final. Loretto's #20 Law was good last night not sure how many points total but I felt was kept in check most of the night. She has nice 10-12ft jumper and hit free throws. During second half Richland allowed #22 (or #32) go coast to coast and do two semi barely contested left handed lay-ups at crucial times.

Good Luck to 11A the rest of the way.. Now we get to focus on softball!!!!

Richland had a good strategy that just about worked in stalling the ball. Great game by both teams!

Richland was "this close" from winning the game...The difference early on was Richland missing free throws. At one point before half time Richland would have been up by 4-6 points, but instead went into half time score of 13-11. First half saw several ref calls go Richland's way, by the one official. By the end of the Third quarter saw Loretto's lead open to 7 I think it was. Loretto started getting calls by another certain official in the third..By the fourth quarter Richland K. Lovell and A. Edwards was in foul trouble, and Loretto kept the lead around 6 points til late when fouling, intentional fouls were called resulting in a 12 point differential final. Loretto's #20 Law was good last night not sure how many points total but I felt was kept in check most of the night. She has nice 10-12ft jumper and hit free throws. During second half Richland allowed #22 (or #32) go coast to coast and do two semi barely contested left handed lay-ups at crucial times.

Thanks for the info. Seems like free throw shooting has made a huge impact on the games. Loretto needs to find ways to speed games up. They have had trouble lately scoring in the half court.

I wonder if Coach Brown from Santa Fe still thinks his team is 10 points better than WC? I laughed when I over heard him telling other coaches this. This is the 2nd straight year Coach Brown has said these remarks and WC has beaten them badly and eliminated them both years. Maybe he should think about not saying anything until after the game has been played. Good luck to WC as they play Loretto for the Region Championship!

Congrats to Loretta for a hard fought win!!! It was much-deserved.

I'm not sure on how beneficial it is, though. For those who have watched both Forrest and Moore, would it be better to host Moore or travel to Forrest?

Loretto made big play after big play when they needed it to hold off Wayne County. The Lady Mustangs played a great defensive game against the big 3 from Wayne County (Daniel, Risner, and Bell), and when the game was on the line, they made the necessary FTs. Risner had two good looks late to tie it from "3," and just couldn't knock it down, but she was a little off all night from the perimeter as she was having to work hard to get good looks (she is a big moment shooter, so I had a strong feeling she was going to bomb one of those late ones and she just couldn't get it to fall). Curtis did everything right for Loretto, and you could tell that she was focused from the onset. The "3" she hit at the buzzer at the end of the 3rd quarter was huge. Loretto also did a tremendous job keeping Wayne County off the offensive glass, which is necessary to have a chance of beating them. Overall, a very impressive team victory for Loretto.

Wayne County didn't seem to upset, especially after it was announced that they would be playing Forrest. I think they would prefer to play Forrest, because they have such a sizable advantage inside and they have a victory over them already this year. However, keep in mind, the last time Wayne County went to Forrest for a Sub-State game, it did not go their way. Forrest is very good at home, and they will play the type of defensive game necessary to make Wayne County work for it. If Forrest can hit the "3" ball like they did tonight, they will be very tough for anyone to beat. I feel like Wayne County will win, but Forrest is so tough at home that you know it will be close.

Loretto matches up much better with Forrest than Moore County, so I don't think they are too excited with having to play Moore County. This game could be a real barnburner (and all of the history with Coach Tipps and Moore County will probably only fuel the fire). Loretto will have to guard all five spots, because Moore County can hurt you from multiple spots on the floor. Vann, Raby, and Garland are all extremely versatile as they can wheel-and-deal inside, but also step out and hit the "3". Moore County is better in transition then Loretto and they have enough depth to match what Loretto will bring off the bench, but Loretto can offset some of that if their guards are hitting the "3," which they are better at shooting as a team than Moore County. Loretto has an advantage with the game being at home, but Moore County's players have been in this game before and have experience in this situation. Regardless of who wins, both will be great representatives at the State Tournament.

Edited by ptguard12

Loretto made big play after big play when they needed it to hold off Wayne County. The Lady Mustangs played a great defensive game against the big 3 from Wayne County (Daniel, Risner, and Bell), and when the game was on the line, they made the necessary FTs. Risner had two good looks late to tie it from "3," and just couldn't knock it down, but she was a little off all night (she is a big moment shooter, so I had a strong feeling she was going to bomb one of those late ones and she just couldn't get it to fall). Curtis did everything right for Loretto, and you could tell that she was focused from the onset. The "3" she hit at the buzzer at the end of the 3rd quarter was huge. Loretto also did a tremendous job keeping Wayne County off the offensive glass, which is necessary to have a chance of beating them. Overall, a very impressive team victory for Loretto.

Wayne County didn't seem to upset, especially after it was announced that they would be playing Forrest. I think they would prefer to play Forrest, because they have such a sizable advantage inside and they have a victory over them already this year. However, keep in mind, the last time Wayne County went to Forrest for a Sub-State game, it did not go their way. Forrest is very good at home, and they will play the type of defensive game necessary to make Wayne County work for it. If Forrest can hit the "3" ball like they did tonight, they will be very tough for anyone to beat. I feel like Wayne County will win, but Forrest is so tough at home that you know it will be close.

Loretto matches up much better with Forrest than Moore County, so I don't think they are too excited with having to play Moore County. This game could be a real barnburner (and all of the history with Coach Tipps and Moore County will probably only fuel the fire). Loretto will have to guard all five spots, because Moore County can hurt you from multiple spots on the floor. Vann, Raby, and Garland are all extremely versatile as they can wheel-and-deal inside, but also step out and hit the "3". Moore County is better in transition then Loretto and they have enough depth to match what Loretto will bring off the bench, but Loretto can offset some of that if their guards are hitting the "3," which they are better at shooting as a team than Moore County. Loretto has an advantage with the game being at home, but Moore County's players have been in this game before and have experience in this situation. Regardless of who wins, both will be great representatives at the State Tournament.

Congratulations to the Lady Mustangs on a hard fought and very well deserved victory tonight over Wayne County. Just to clear one thing up, Loretto is indifferent about the next opponent! When you come to the barn, all things are possible (much to the favor of Loretto, usually). And....it's like the old saying goes, you got to beat the best to be the best and this situation is no different. We are looking forward to hosting MC. We'll try to be as hospitable and welcoming to them as Loretto's student section was to WC tonight! Go Lady Mustangs!!

Loretto made big play after big play when they needed it to hold off Wayne County. The Lady Mustangs played a great defensive game against the big 3 from Wayne County (Daniel, Risner, and Bell), and when the game was on the line, they made the necessary FTs. Risner had two good looks late to tie it from "3," and just couldn't knock it down, but she was a little off all night from the perimeter as she was having to work hard to get good looks (she is a big moment shooter, so I had a strong feeling she was going to bomb one of those late ones and she just couldn't get it to fall). Curtis did everything right for Loretto, and you could tell that she was focused from the onset. The "3" she hit at the buzzer at the end of the 3rd quarter was huge. Loretto also did a tremendous job keeping Wayne County off the offensive glass, which is necessary to have a chance of beating them. Overall, a very impressive team victory for Loretto.

Loretto is definitely one of the tougher places to play with such a great home atmosphere, but at this point in the stage it's tough to see how far it can go. Curtis's shot at the end of the third quarter was a huge key in the game and brought back memories of when Devin Woods from PC hit a shot from similar distance at the end of 3, which spurred the win in the Region a while back. As for taken care of the glass and loose balls, Loretta does a great job at the hustle plays. Either way, I look forward to traveling to one of these games Saturday night!