Best Alcoa team ever?

REBELRON

I was wondering which Alcoa team do Alcoa fans think is the best of all time? I would have to say it is between 2009 and 2010 for me. Those teams were so physical. Alcoa teams of the past were great but the physicality of the last 2 Alcoa teams put them over the top. Maryville had a real good team in 2009 and Alcoa killed them. Maryville had a great team in 2010 and Alcoa beat them.

I was wondering which Alcoa team do Alcoa fans think is the best of all time? I would have to say it is between 2009 and 2010 for me. Those teams were so physical. Alcoa teams of the past were great but the physicality of the last 2 Alcoa teams put them over the top. Maryville had a real good team in 2009 and Alcoa killed them. Maryville had a great team in 2010 and Alcoa beat them.

I would lean toward the 2009 team as the best ever, primarily because of its defense. The 2009 team started several very good seniors at linebacker and in the secondary. Plus, the 2009 defensive line had both Tyler Robinson and Darrell Warren. Good passing teams (in particular Maryville and CAK) exploited the 2010 Alcoa secondary.

On the other hand, the 2010 team was more explosive and better balanced on offense than the 2009 team. Austin Tallant played quarterback for most of the 2009 season with a broken hand, and Alcoa leaned heavily on Jaron Toney to carry the offense. The 2010 offense could pound you with the power running of Tallant, Warren, and Taharin Tyson or score on one play by getting the ball into the hands of Vee Hambrick or Steven Isom.

I still think the 1989 team had the best collection of skill players of any Alcoa team. Its line play was underrated but was not nearly as physical as that of the 2009 and 2010 teams. Prior to the arrival of Rankin, Alcoa generally was beaten at the line of scrimmage by Maryville almost every year. That hasn't been the case in recent years.

The 2000 team should get a lot of credit for going undefeated. It wasn't overall as talented as the 2004 and 2005 teams, for instance, but it did manage to go 15-0.

In summary, my top four are the four Alcoa teams that went through the regular season and playoffs undefeated:

Edited by ChaunceyGardiner

• 4 weeks later...

I would have like to have seen the Trousdale County team in 05 play the Alcoa team of 05. Both teams were unbelieveable to watch that year and dominated their classifications...

Trousdale County was great in 2005. South Pitt was great in 2007. I would love to have seen those 2 teams play one another.

The 2005 Alcoa team with Feigler, Cobb, Sykes, Warren, Lanxter, Sommer, Shiverdecker, Lindsay, & Love would have killed BOTH OF THOSE TEAMS mentioned above. That was the team that beat Goodpasture in the first of their 4 title game meetings. They were awesome on the turf at MTSU.