Class A State pairings

greenwheel

I agree that there are four good teams left, but Scotts Hill is my favorite to win it all. The Scotts Hill girls are playing their best ball of the year right now, getting all the girls involved on the offensive end. I watched the Loretto/Jackson County game, and was really disappointed in both teams. Neither have the kind of offensive firepower that Scotts Hill possesses.

I haven't seen Wayne County play this year, but considering they lost to Loretto twice this season, I don't really see them as a threat to Scotts Hill. Granted, Loretto may have had an off day, but I doubt this considering they won the game. I don't think any team is good enough to have an off game and win in the State Tournament, the competition is just too good.

As of now I see North Greene as Scotts Hill's best competition. That doesn't mean I think they can beat Scotts Hill, because I don't. When they played Cosby earlier this season, they barely snuck out of there with the 5 point win. Scotts Hill just beat Cosby by 24 points, and they played their subs the whole 4th quarter. The Scotts Hill students were expecting to hit the mercy rule of 35 points at one time.

To sum it all up, if the Scotts Hill girls play the way they did against Cosby on Wednesday, nobody in the state can beat them..

Yes, Scotts Hill was hitting on all cylinders. However, Cosby was one of the worst state tourney teams I've saw in a long time. And Loretto disappointed you? Trust me, they're the real deal and should get to the finals. And by the way, yes Loretto did beat WC twice, but WC also beat Loretto twice during the year. WC and Loretto in the finals.

Edited by hooplove

I agree that Cosby was a bad state tournament team. Yes, Loretto disappointed me. They were obviously the better team in their game yesterday, I'm not saying they didn't deserve to win, because they did. But I was still disappointed. I would expect a team in the state tournament to blow out a team like Jackson County. That was a close game for the first 3 quarters, and it shouldn't have been. Jackson County didn't even show up. I'm aware that Wayne County also beat Loretto this year, I'm just saying that any team that lost to Loretto doesn't scare a Scotts Hill fan. I may have the wrong impression of Loretto, but I'm judging by the one game I've seen them play. I'm picking North Greene over Loretto and Scotts Hill over Wayne County.

I agree that Cosby was a bad state tournament team. Yes, Loretto disappointed me. They were obviously the better team in their game yesterday, I'm not saying they didn't deserve to win, because they did. But I was still disappointed. I would expect a team in the state tournament to blow out a team like Jackson County. That was a close game for the first 3 quarters, and it shouldn't have been. Jackson County didn't even show up. I'm aware that Wayne County also beat Loretto this year, I'm just saying that any team that lost to Loretto doesn't scare a Scotts Hill fan. I may have the wrong impression of Loretto, but I'm judging by the one game I've seen them play. I'm picking North Greene over Loretto and Scotts Hill over Wayne County.

Avarax, did you see the final score? Loretto won by 23. That was a blowout. JC won it all last year and none of the current Loretto girls have ever been to state. It took them a little while to get going, but when they did it got ugly quick. You definitely should not underestimate Loretto. "Any team that lost to Loretto doesn't scare a SC fan"? Who cares about who scares who?? All that matters is what's done on the court....and we'll see tomorrow how good Scotts Hill is. They're strength of schedule on CoachT is 98th. WC's is 8th.

Avarax, did you see the final score? Loretto won by 23. That was a blowout. JC won it all last year and none of the current Loretto girls have ever been to state. It took them a little while to get going, but when they did it got ugly quick. You definitely should not underestimate Loretto. "Any team that lost to Loretto doesn't scare a SC fan"? Who cares about who scares who?? All that matters is what's done on the court....and we'll see tomorrow how good Scotts Hill is. They're strength of schedule on CoachT is 98th. WC's is 8th.

If you are going to look at CoachT rankings (which has nothing to do with who will win tomorrow's game), then might as well look at the others.

"Strength + Success" Wayne Co # 1, Scotts Hill # 3 (not much difference)

"Best Defense (points per game)" Scotts # 2, Wayne Co not in top twenty (only top 20 are listed) I always heard "offense wins games" but "defense wins championships"

As for Scotts Hill's strength of schedule ranking---the only teams that they have not beat are the teams that they have not played.

However, the "ONLY" stats that will matter will be the stats generated in tomorrow's game. Both teams are certainly capable of winning this game (and the championship) and the team that performs the best will win. Should be a really good game to watch. Also, whoever wins between Loretta (probably Loretta) and Greene Co will be a worthy component for the Scotts Hill/Wayne Co winner.

My congratulations go out to four teams for making it to the FINAL 4.

I don't know what you saw, but when you hold a team like JC to only 2 points in a quarter, you are playing some ball. Not to mention, when they played Moore County in the sectional, they held them scoreless for quite a long time, a team that had a Miss Basketball finalist was held to 8 points. You are not giving credit where credit is due. Loretto and WC in the finals!!! All 12A finals and then you can all debate the 7A vs 14A stuff all night while the 12A fans are celbrating a state title!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are going to look at CoachT rankings (which has nothing to do with who will win tomorrow's game), then might as well look at the others.

"Strength + Success" Wayne Co # 1, Scotts Hill # 3 (not much difference)

"Best Defense (points per game)" Scotts # 2, Wayne Co not in top twenty (only top 20 are listed) I always heard "offense wins games" but "defense wins championships"

As for Scotts Hill's strength of schedule ranking---the only teams that they have not beat are the teams that they have not played.

However, the "ONLY" stats that will matter will be the stats generated in tomorrow's game. Both teams are certainly capable of winning this game (and the championship) and the team that performs the best will win. Should be a really good game to watch. Also, whoever wins between Loretta (probably Loretta) and Greene Co will be a worthy component for the Scotts Hill/Wayne Co winner.

My congratulations go out to four teams for making it to the FINAL 4.

The strength of schedule stat was not the basis of my post. If you read it again, you'll see I also said that all that matters is what happens on the court. My basis for the post was disputing what Avarax wrote about Loretto, basically minimizing them based on what he/she viewed in a lackluster one half performance against JC. I also believe that any of the remaining 4 could win it all. With that said, teams that have been battle tested against some really good teams definitely benefit from that. I do beleive that WC has faced much tougher competition this year and definitely Loretto has by playing Riverdale and by playing Lawrence co twice.

I said before the tournament started that I felt we would see a Wayne Co/Loretto final. After Thursday I feel a lot more confident about my picks. Both teams face tough competition Friday I think Loretto wins in a squeaker while Wayne Co wins by 10+ against Scotts Hill.

I believe Scotts Hill has a good team and they looked real good against a depleted Cosby team. I believe that the lack of competition SH has faced will hurt them against the Lady Cats. It's going to be interesting to see how the SH ladies will respond to the size and athleticism WC brings to the game. If SH doesn't get shocked by the sudden increase in level of competition then it could be a close one otherwise the Lady Cats walk to the championship game.

I said before the tournament started that I felt we would see a Wayne Co/Loretto final. After Thursday I feel a lot more confident about my picks. Both teams face tough competition Friday I think Loretto wins in a squeaker while Wayne Co wins by 10+ against Scotts Hill.

I believe Scotts Hill has a good team and they looked real good against a depleted Cosby team. I believe that the lack of competition SH has faced will hurt them against the Lady Cats. It's going to be interesting to see how the SH ladies will respond to the size and athleticism WC brings to the game. If SH doesn't get shocked by the sudden increase in level of competition then it could be a close one otherwise the Lady Cats walk to the championship game.

Scotts Hill has yet to come into a game and be shocked. I will admit that they have played a few weak teams and play their subs the whole 4th quarter then turn right around in 2 days and beat a really good team. Scotts Hill will control the tempo so it does not make a difference how athletic WC is. I will take SH by 6.

I don't think Scotts Hill will get shocked. I think the girls are very aware of what they are up against and what they have to do to win. I believe they are ready. They have proven themselves over and over all season.

Scotts Hill over Lake Co.

Scotts Hill has yet to come into a game and be shocked. I will admit that they have played a few weak teams and play their subs the whole 4th quarter then turn right around in 2 days and beat a really good team. Scotts Hill will control the tempo so it does not make a difference how athletic WC is. I will take SH by 6.

They looked pretty shocked to me today.

Let me make myself crystal clear here. I mean the eastern part of middle tn (middle/east) as in where most of the gold balls reside, and to be more specific the upper cumberland area. District 7A has won the last 3 Gold balls and has more gold balls than any other district in the state outside of maybe Shelbyville when they were good back in the 90's and early 00's. The Upper Cumberland has always had the best girls basketball in it for years and years and this year is no different. LC got by far the easiest draw with Green County so i look for them to win that one, hopefully JC can beat a very good Loretto team and then we can decide this on the floor. Ya'll keep talkin LC up, i can't wait to see them cause they must be WNBA good if they are half as good as what ya'll are saying!

Lake Co didn't deserve to win.Didn't have but 2 players to show up in T.T. and Carnation.Lake Co must have stayed awake all night.Didn't know they were going to play slow ball.Congrats to North Greene.At least I did say we both,being Jackson co and Lake Co, had better watch out.Not crying.A good team has to hit their free throws.I did see Jacksn Co.Had a couple good players.If Lake Co plays slow ball,or a half court game then JC would have a chance.But the big girl is too slow to run the floor.Would be a tough assignment maybe on th offensive end but on defense would be a hinderance.But again..that 's if we run.And for some reason we didn't.Don't have a clue.Carnation had 15 points at the half and their girl had 3 fouls and we didn't go back to Carnation.But answering your post here with you saying Lake Co had an easy opponent while Jackson co had a tough game.Really? Who won between North Greene and Loretto? And at least Lake Co lost in overtime.Jackson co got blown out.And the team that blew them out was pretty well blown out also.But no matter..We both lost.Again..Congrats to North Greene.The way the tournament has went thus far,no telling what is going to happen in the championship.I think Wayne Co will win but who knows?Congrats to Wayne Co and North Greene for making it to the championship.