Cannon Co vs Elizabethton

HSespn

Rationale?

I'm guessing his rationale was that McMinn Central played Cannon Co. last year - beating them in substate, and this past November - losing to them on their floor. Familiarity of a team gives you knowledge of that team's capability. Plus, just knowing the tough teams that Cannon Co. plays in their District and Region, only enhances that familiarity of their competition.

Elizabethton is a bit of an unknown to most Central fans. Being that I was born and raised in upper east Tennessee, and still have many friends up that way, I'm aware of the past successes of the South Greene program, just to mention a school. I still have some friends coaching in upper east Tennessee, too. Obviously, Elizabethton has a very good basketball team just based on their record. However, I do know that South Greene was down a little this year, and Hampton is a very small school....and those were the marquee wins for Elizabethton. So, in all honesty, it's hard to determine just how good Elizabethton is. They did take care of business by soundly defeating most teams they played....meaning they were mentally prepared every game. In my opinion, Cannon Co. played more of the better teams.....but that alone won't guarantee a victory over Elizabethton.

I think the Elizabethton/Cannon Co. matchup will definitely be the best game of the first round to watch, and I won't be suprised by either team winning. And if McMinn Central wins in the firt round, their hands will be absolutely full in the second round.

I'm guessing his rationale was that McMinn Central played Cannon Co. last year - beating them in substate, and this past November - losing to them on their floor. Familiarity of a team gives you knowledge of that team's capability. Plus, just knowing the tough teams that Cannon Co. plays in their District and Region, only enhances that familiarity of their competition.

Elizabethton is a bit of an unknown to most Central fans. Being that I was born and raised in upper east Tennessee, and still have many friends up that way, I'm aware of the past successes of the South Greene program, just to mention a school. I still have some friends coaching in upper east Tennessee, too. Obviously, Elizabethton has a very good basketball team just based on their record. However, I do know that South Greene was down a little this year, and Hampton is a very small school....and those were the marquee wins for Elizabethton. So, in all honesty, it's hard to determine just how good Elizabethton is. They did take care of business by soundly defeating most teams they played....meaning they were mentally prepared every game. In my opinion, Cannon Co. played more of the better teams.....but that alone won't guarantee a victory over Elizabethton.

I think the Elizabethton/Cannon Co. matchup will definitely be the best game of the first round to watch, and I won't be suprised by either team winning. And if McMinn Central wins in the firt round, their hands will be absolutely full in the second round.

I can understand most of your logic. However, it might be a stretch to characterize Hampton and South Greene as Betsy's marquee wins. Although the district was weak, we played some decent out of conference teams. Regardless, that's why they play the games...

I can understand most of your logic. However, it might be a stretch to characterize Hampton and South Greene as Betsy's marquee wins. Although the district was weak, we played some decent out of conference teams. Regardless, that's why they play the games...

OK, I'm sure its been answered A MILLION TIMES here....but who is Betsy? And why does she seem to be the only girl playing on Etown's team?

OK, I'm sure its been answered A MILLION TIMES here....but who is Betsy? And why does she seem to be the only girl playing on Etown's team?

I know what I was told 40+ years ago: The Elizabethton Betsy were a farm baseball team that started in the 30's, and played in the old Appalachian League. I know they were affiliated with the Red Sox and Cubs, and possibly with some other MLB teams.

Honestly, i don't know. It is just one of those things I have a gut feeling about. Should be a fun game to watch though :popcorneater:

I have some connections to Elizabethton myself and here is what I can tell you. My father-in-law lived in McMinn County and closely followed the Chargerettes about 3-4 years ago (Kylie Lambert days). He is now a sports editor in Elizabethton and he says their girls team is as good as he has ever seen. I think Betsy wins this game and then we have a dog fight in the semis.

Gotta go with Cannon Co in this one also. LA beat them 3 of 4 times and should have a 4th if they wouldnt have blew a 10 pt lead in the regional championship. But it was a well deserved win. Cannon plays in one of the best Districts in the state and if they can survive thru it im confident they can survive in the state. So I guess that means "I'm In" I love how the teams in this district come up with qoutes and it snowballs into tee shirts and everything else. Go Lions! :thumb:

Gotta go with Cannon Co in this one also. LA beat them 3 of 4 times and should have a 4th if they wouldnt have blew a 10 pt lead in the regional championship. But it was a well deserved win. Cannon plays in one of the best Districts in the state and if they can survive thru it im confident they can survive in the state. So I guess that means "I'm In" I love how the teams in this district come up with qoutes and it snowballs into tee shirts and everything else. Go Lions! :thumb:

Thanks for the vote of confidence and glad you're "In." Personally, I liked the "We are Cannon" chant by the players on the floor after the sectional game.

• Upvote 1

Either team could win this game in my opinion, but i'm gonna go with Cannon. Being 20 minutes from the Boro they'll have more of a crowd and they're very supportive. Look for a lot of maroon and gold in the gym. I know Cannon has 7 losses but 5 were to 5th and 9th ranked Upperman and Livingston who are very competitive good teams. The other two losses were to ranked teams and both by two points. If Cannon can play there game, hit there shots and stay composed I see no reason why they won't be playing McMinn Central in the next round.

No problem......you can just treat us at one of those fine restaurants you recommended. If Cannon Co. happens to be playing when we're hungry, just give us your credit card, and we'll bring it back after we eat. :thumb:

Tidbits: I played against Don Dodgen Sr. in grammar school and high school. Also - Don Jr's Mother is a native McMinn Countian.

I could go for something good to eat :hungry:

The Lady Cyclones are making their third trip to Murfreesboro in the last 7 years. They lost to state champion Chester County in 2005 by 9 points in the first round. In 2009, they lost to Westview by two points on a late shot by Amber Rechis in the first round. I thought they were very competitive both those years and could have played with anybody except maybe Gibson County. Hopefully, the third time will be the charm. I would imagine Cannon County is very good. I know McMinn Central is and Cannon beat them. It should be a great tournament. I just hope everyone brings their "A" games, that noboby gets hurt, and that the best team wins the gold ball. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!!!

Getting a bandwagon going here.

South Greene was down the first half of the year. They regrouped in January and went down by two in overtime of the substate game. Eliabethton is for real and will bring it Thursday, but I hope they are overlooked just like North Greene was.