MBA

oblong

I still can not get over the fact that the T$$AA, McGugin, the Head Master, and some of you MBA folks can sit here and say that this is not a violation. CM's own family (according to someone on here his wife's brother is posting) has gotten on here and said they are stating FACTS that "MBA community" helped pay a player's tuition. If this is true then what more investigating needs to be done? It states in the handbook and now in the Tennessean the rule! If this is true and other parents or booster clubs were writing these checks then what is the T$$AA and MBA waiting on? I will end with this (and I know this will open a can of worms): Why do you private school people think that the public school people get so upset when they find out they are losing a player that is in the school's zone to an MBA, Ensworth, etc.???? If the T$$AA does not come down hard on MBA for this one then they need to abolish the whole handbook and start over.

Edited by coachfoozeball

The City Paper version provides more color. http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/sports/mba-football-turmoil

Pressed for details, McGugin said that, while he is now aware of the financial assistance to the family of the student, he did not know of it when it occurred.

provides more color? Pressed for details he is NOW aware of the financial assistance? Funny, how his wife's brother can tell us all about it, but CM is only "now aware" of the financial assistance.

The color that is being provided is the fact that a violation was made because someone beside the parent or guardian paid the tuition. Now that is a FACT! I would say that CM is talking out of two sides of his mouth and the fact is he did know about this.

Even if CM does get let off the hook here he will be in for a world of criticism after this blows over. One bad season or a few more losses to Ensworth and he'll be selling insurance with his brother. Barton hasn't helped his cause by coming on here and placing the blame on someone else. McGugin's family ties to the school will make this a tougher decision for Gioia than the Rutledge situation. I think this is the reason for the delay in making a decision. CM has been fed from a silver spoon his whole life but Gioia is afraid of who will swing first if he tries to remove it. Should be an easy decision for Gioia and the Board if they have any concern over the future integrity of the school.

Embarrassed Graduate

I, along with several other members of the MBA community, went to visit with Brad Gioia in his office to express our support for Coach McGugin. The line was out the door with supporters. The 3 things he explicitly told us:

1) There is no issue with the TSSA

2) Daniel McGugin has done nothing unethical related to any of these issues

3) There is overwhelming support for Daniel from the players, coaches, faculty, alums, community

4) Brad Gioia had no problem telling us the names of those opposed to Daniel. And he is having to deal with the following people, who may not have all the facts, but do not like Coach Mcgugin. These people are:

Bill Wilson (who is this guy?)

Bill Hawkins

Tom Curtis

Chris Simonis

I, along with several other members of the MBA community, went to visit with Brad Gioia in his office to express our support for Coach McGugin. The line was out the door with supporters. The 3 things he explicitly told us:

3) There is overwhelming support for Daniel from the players, coaches, faculty, alums, community

4) Brad Gioia had no problem telling us the names of those opposed to Daniel. And he is having to deal with the following people, who may not have all the facts, but do not like Coach Mcgugin. These people are:

Bill Hawkins

Tom Curtis

Chris Simonis

I'm not sure this is the forum to "name names". MBA needs to use this situation as an opportunity to come together, address some issues, and move forward with a unified and vigorous effort to provide a top flight educational experience for boys. Nameing names is only further drives a wedge in the community.

Also, Hoosier, TruthHurts, NotreDame788, your dissatisfaction over the McGugin hire has been noted since the day he was hired. I don't know what your beef is but 2 things to consider; first MBA has won more games over the past four years than any other four year period in the schools history, and second schoolwide participation in football has never been higher. To get on here and use this as an opportunity to imply that McGugin is at the center of this whole thing isn't right. No one on here knows all of the facts. Only Mr. Gioia, Daniel, and the BoT is fully informed of the situation and I trust that they will make the appropriate decision when presented all of the facts.

I personally look forward to attending many more MBA football games in the future.

I'm not sure this is the forum to "name names". MBA needs to use this situation as an opportunity to come together, address some issues, and move forward with a unified and vigorous effort to provide a top flight educational experience for boys. Nameing names is only further drives a wedge in the community.

Also, Hoosier, TruthHurts, NotreDame788, your dissatisfaction over the McGugin hire has been noted since the day he was hired. I don't know what your beef is but 2 things to consider; first MBA has won more games over the past four years than any other four year period in the schools history, and second schoolwide participation in football has never been higher. To get on here and use this as an opportunity to imply that McGugin is at the center of this whole thing isn't right. No one on here knows all of the facts. Only Mr. Gioia, Daniel, and the BoT is fully informed of the situation and I trust that they will make the appropriate decision when presented all of the facts.

I personally look forward to attending many more MBA football games in the future.

Jeff Rutledge won more state titles than McGugin has and Gioia threw him out without hesitation. C'mon, Twin. We are talking about allegations that have never ever been placed on MBA. You were the first to deny any rumor about the situation at all. Now look where we are. Our school is getting dragged through the mud. I am not saying that Dan is the only one at the center of this. Personally I think the AD Scott O'Neal was a joke of a hire in the first place. Trust me, you will still be able to attend all the football and lax games that you and your brother desire even if McGugin is not there.

How is there no issue with the TSSAA? MBA supporters and those that claim they are close to the situation claim a player's tuition was paid by someone other than his parent and guardian. That is a rules violation. What little respect I have for the TSSAA is gone if this is true and do not come down on MBA.

On your way to meet with the headmaster, you probably walked past the Partick Wilson Library. Or while in school there you might have applied for a Wilson Language Grant, a Wilson Science and Engineering Grant, or a Wilson Student Grant. I'm assuming "this guy" is one in the same, but I may be wrong.

You have me pegged wrong. So let me give you my thoughts:

I am anti-recruiting, anti "Swetts coach's lunches" (I mean seriously - it is a bit much), anti paying kid's tuition under the table, anti Private school coaches showing up constantly at middle schools that are out near the airport trying to sway the star athlete to go to their school, anti teams with their starting lineup filled with players who live 40,50, and 60 miles away from their campus, anti spineless headmasters who have filled the board of trustees with "yes men", anti schools sending vans and buses to Murfreesboro and North Nashville to pick up star athletes each day before school (a privilege that is only offered to the star athletes), anti special tudors who work with star players 4 and 5 days a week just to get them to pass, anti coaches who make their players feel inferior if they play another sport other than theirs, anti schools having a "recruiter" who is disguised as an admissions employee whose job it is to go "get players", anti "Big E camps", and anti students who are encouraged by their football coach to lead hateful cheers at athletic contests.

In other words I am anti Bowers, anti McGugin, anti Flatt (sorry Carlton - you started all of this), anti Gioia and what their two schools have become. I respect Ensworth middle school and what MBA USED to be. My wish is that the whole thing will blow up at both schools and we could get back to what high school sports should be about. MBA used to be a place that did not have to follow anyone in the country - they set the bar and others followed. The problem is that they got caught up in the arms race by chasing Ensworth's actions out on Highway 100 and it is way too far down the road to change the culture without blowing it up. So, blow it up. Mr Childress. Blow it up.

• Upvote 2

You have me pegged wrong. So let me give you my thoughts:

I am anti-recruiting, anti "Swetts coach's lunches" (I mean seriously - it is a bit much), anti paying kid's tuition under the table, anti Private school coaches showing up constantly at middle schools that are out near the airport trying to sway the star athlete to go to their school, anti teams with their starting lineup filled with players who live 40,50, and 60 miles away from their campus, anti spineless headmasters who have filled the board of trustees with "yes men", anti schools sending vans and buses to Murfreesboro and North Nashville to pick up star athletes each day before school (a privilege that is only offered to the star athletes), anti special tudors who work with star players 4 and 5 days a week just to get them to pass, anti coaches who make their players feel inferior if they play another sport other than theirs, anti schools having a "recruiter" who is disguised as an admissions employee whose job it is to go "get players", anti "Big E camps", and anti students who are encouraged by their football coach to lead hateful cheers at athletic contests.

In other words I am anti Bowers, anti McGugin, anti Flatt (sorry Carlton - you started all of this), anti Gioia and what their two schools have become. I respect Ensworth middle school and what MBA USED to be. My wish is that the whole thing will blow up at both schools and we could get back to what high school sports should be about. MBA used to be a place that did not have to follow anyone in the country - they set the bar and others followed. The problem is that they got caught up in the arms race by chasing Ensworth's actions out on Highway 100 and it is way too far down the road to change the culture without blowing it up. So, blow it up. Mr Childress. Blow it up.

I would have trouble arguing with this honestly....

Bill Hawkins

Tom Curtis

Chris Simonis

Please take this down, honestly. Dear lord, is Gioia really telling any alum who walks in the door which board members want Coach M out?!?!?!? Whether or not I agree with them they deserve his confidence. We have a serious leadership problem right now.