Maryville @ Bearden

mack6

Bearden rolled out to a 3-0 lead twenty minutes in and decided to pump the brakes considerably the rest of the way, 3-0 final.

I am really surprised at this score. I am sure both teams felt very confident they would win, I would guess each is surprised at the score and how it all happened. 3 - 0 in the first twenty minutes is a very, very strong statement. Sometimes a loss can be a good thing. I am sure Coach Feather will use this loss to help Maryville be ready for the next time they play Bearden. Bearden has been in big games like this many times, Maryville not so much. I expect both teams to make the District final and this win will be a motivational factor for Maryville and a Confidence builder for Bearden. I really wanted to go watch this game, but the Alcoa vs. Greenville match got in the way!

AlcoaDad

:motorbike:

Was anyone at the game to tell how Maryville let this one get away so fast? I know in the past, the size and physicality of Bearden are what have given Maryville trouble.

Maryville's defense couldn't contain Bearden's forwards. Most goals came from chaos in Maryville's box, Bearden's specialty. Maryville possessed much longer, but the game isn't won on how long you hold the ball. Bearden's defense was spectacular as well; they did a great job of containing Maryville's potent offense.

Although possession was in Maryville's favor, the shot count wasn't. If I remeber correctly it was like (shots/on goal) 21/11 BHS to 15/8 MHS.

I must admit Maryville was excellent at passing. It seemed like all they practice is possession (I believe I never saw MHS's defense actually clear the ball, they just passed it), and it's worked off for them against opponents that also like to possess/pass, Bearden just isn't one of those teams.\

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/apr/18/conner-mccarty-stars-bearden-beats-maryville/

Edited by Olif

Bearden won every loose ball and closed as hard as I've ever seen...they were also much, much faster in transition and very tough in the box. Maryville got caught in transition twice early and it was downhill from there. Difficult to watch Bearden want this one more than Maryville when Maryville has more to prove. Hats off to Coach Turner and the dogs...Maryville had no answer for Bearden's intensity.

Edited by Rebs0908

Hats off to Bearden for the way they played last night. Maryville had no answers at either end of the field for them. Bearden's speed and quickness were too much last night and that was evident from the very beginning. It's tough for any team to come back from a 3 goal deficit, but it especially hard when you are playing a team like Bearden. Once they were up 3, their defensive intensity never let up and they never let Maryville get in to the game.

Bearden's back line was tremendous and thwarted any opportunity that Maryville had in and around the 18. Maryville was forced to take many low-percentage shots and could never seem to get the run-of-play that they are used to.

It's always fun to see 2 different styles playing against each other. Maryville is traditionally a more possession team, whereas Bearden is more of a run-and-gun type team. Bearden got round 1. Hopefully Maryville will learn from this and see them again in districts for round 2.

Still a lot of soccer to be played. Good luck to Turner and his guys and finishing the season strongly.

Ned

i like how maryville saw this game:

"I must admit Maryville was excellent at passing."

"Maryville is traditionally a more possession team, whereas Bearden is more of a run-and-gun type team

Rebs0908 said it best.

I don’t think anyone is denying that Bearden is a great soccer team, mack. In fact, I am almost certain that Olif is a Bearden supporter, and he was simply commenting on the contrasting styles of the two teams.

When juxtaposing the two teams you will find, like Ned said, two talented sides with two different approaches to the game: Bearden focuses on keeping their defensive shape and catching opponents in transition, while Maryville tries to keep the ball and make their opponents chase. Both teams’ philosophies have looked flawless at times, yet both have looked vulnerable as well—Maryville was exposed at Bearden, and Bearden looked susceptible against Catholic.

With that said, I don’t think anyone in this area continues to denounce Coach Turner’s philosophy as unattractive or “boom ball.†In fact, I think Bearden’s method is one of the most effective and enjoyable brands of soccer to watch. They form an impervious blockade of defenders in the middle of the pitch, disallowing any form of solid penetration. All shots against Bearden are going to be low percentage shots, and if a team is tricky enough to slip behind their back line or give a good service in the box, the ball is going to undoubtedly be contested or rather won by Bearden. What is even more impressive is how quickly they counter, forcing their opponents to chase, panic, and lose their shape.

After Jose Mourinho’s Inter team sent Barca packing in last year’s Champion’s League semifinal, he was asked to comment about how lopsided the possession battle was. Mourinho ostentatiously claimed that it was all part of a plan and that his Inter side didn’t want the ball because they never wanted to lose their shape. I think Mourinho is a downright liar; I think Inter was outmatched and pulled the win out of their back side. Bearden, on the other hand, knows exactly what they are doing, and they play an attractive and remarkably effective brand of soccer.

Edited by dins8
  • Upvote 1