The Truth...

TNMan11

Say what you want, Coach M. is not innocent in this case. He has gotten his package and I am sure it was generous. What you have is a school that is not abiding by the rules or the coach would not be "released", Mr. G. words. You do not get released for nothing.

You make your own assumptions.

Wondering if there are other skeletons in the closet?

What we do know is according to the media, Coach M. gave an enevlope to a player which contained money. Is there anything more to question??? If there is not, Coach M. would still be at MBA. He is not which leads me and others to believe there is more to the story.

A teammate in the weightroom today told us he got a mr. Simonus doll in his Easter basket. You pull the string and it talks 3 years later

And the lack of institutional control at MBA continues along its farcical path. One would think that a school with any administrative leadership would have told its student-athletes by now to "stay off the message boards". Clearly this has not happened.

Say what you want, Coach M. is not innocent in this case. He has gotten his package and I am sure it was generous. What you have is a school that is not abiding by the rules or the coach would not be "released", Mr. G. words. You do not get released for nothing.

You make your own assumptions.

Wondering if there are other skeletons in the closet?

What we do know is according to the media, Coach M. gave an enevlope to a player which contained money. Is there anything more to question??? If there is not, Coach M. would still be at MBA. He is not which leads me and others to believe there is more to the story.

HD

Do you have any ties to MBA?

A teammate in the weightroom today told us he got a mr. Simonus doll in his Easter basket. You pull the string and it talks 3 years later

I know for a fact the young man in question was promised a 'fullride' to attend MBA. I believe an accurate quote made to the family was, "you'll never have to pay a dime." When all this happened, I, along with others assumed MBA was one of the private schools that offered 'scholarships.' Ignorance is never a good thing. Knowing the family, I would guess any money received from Coach McGugin was thought to be legitimate and legal. I, like everybody else on this board can only guess because the family will never respond to the bile being posted on this board.

It literally makes me sick to listen to the people on this thread telling us "the truth". Nobody outside the family, the headmaster and the coach knows the truth. I don't know the headmaster and I don't know the coach but I DO know the family. There is nothing to be said that would make me believe they knowingly did anything wrong. They just wouldn't. If you knew the family, you would agree.

I have always been a public school supporter and, to be honest, happen to be one of those full of distaste and distrust of private schools. I must say, however, that following this young man's exploits over the last 3 years found me pulling for MBA. Reading about this mess has, unfortunately, brought me back down to earth. The venom being publicly spewed toward this 17 year old is just about what I should have expected.

I can't close until I comment on what a disappointment to read the post by 'bigredguard13'. I guess the thing that bothers me the most is the boy just seemed so darned proud of himself. It is just so..., well, it speaks for itself.

Edited by dawbsitw

"KW, I have refrained from posting here, but I do want to make a comment. You ask what have the boys missed? And I ask what have the boys gained (besides football)? I can only comment about what my boys experienced and my youngest graduated 3 years ago, but the boys who came to MBA in the "non-traditional" way added a lot to the the school off the playing field as well as on. Many of the boys who came through those places (Time To Rise, and Backfield in Motion most notably)were not athletes at all. Some of the athletes were artist and musicians as well, not to mention great students. I know that there are those that would like to turn the clock back 30 or 40 years, but it does not seem to me that MBA would offer as rich an experience if all the boys come from Ensworth, Harding, Overbrook, Oak Hill, Julia Green etc.like they once did. Just my observation."

I probably didn't articulate that as well as I shoud have. While I like and miss some aspects of the past, clearly some of the changes over the years have been progress, and some of the things we did "in the day" were not good. I certainly think the school is better off for the diversity of its student body (in the day, the fact that I was from Goodlettsville meant I was from a non-traditional area). Sorry for any misunderstanding on that issue.

• Upvote 1

Funny thing, with all the hoopla about money and football this has been, is and will always be pay for play football. Every kid on this team or at this school is either paying or being paid to attend.

This is not scandalous. The only infraction is the coach handed the kid the check instead of someone else and I promise you coach thought nothing about it.

To try to infer that one school is more of a cheater is absurd. It is what it is.

MBA is a great school as well as BA, BGA, Ensworth, Baylor etc.

That's why parents send their kids to them and I guarantee those of us that don't, only wish we could. :popcorneater:

Edited by mykidsdad

"KW, I have refrained from posting here, but I do want to make a comment. You ask what have the boys missed? And I ask what have the boys gained (besides football)? I can only comment about what my boys experienced and my youngest graduated 3 years ago, but the boys who came to MBA in the "non-traditional" way added a lot to the the school off the playing field as well as on. Many of the boys who came through those places (Time To Rise, and Backfield in Motion most notably)were not athletes at all. Some of the athletes were artist and musicians as well, not to mention great students. I know that there are those that would like to turn the clock back 30 or 40 years, but it does not seem to me that MBA would offer as rich an experience if all the boys come from Ensworth, Harding, Overbrook, Oak Hill, Julia Green etc.like they once did. Just my observation."

I probably didn't articulate that as well as I shoud have. While I like and miss some aspects of the past, clearly some of the changes over the years have been progress, and some of the things we did "in the day" were not good. I certainly think the school is better off for the diversity of its student body (in the day, the fact that I was from Goodlettsville meant I was from a non-traditional area). Sorry for any misunderstanding on that issue.

We have had enough banter back and forth that I know what you were saying, I just wanted to make a different point. The bigger issue I think is the one about intensity. I heard parts of an interview on the radio yesterday with Kirk Herbstreit. This conversation was about college football, and he made the point that because of the internet and blogs the emphasis among fans has changed from enjoying winning because you won to enjoying winning because it gives you the opportunity to get on the internet to boast and "hate" on the loser. That is certainly true, and it is filtering down to high school and beyond. I posted on another thread some thoughts about youth sports, and how intense that is. If you don't believe me go watch a 10 year old baseball or basketball game. This is driven by the parents and coaches (typically dads). I think a lot of what we see today that makes us wish for the past is a reflection of the larger society.

Have you noticed that the open MBA job is not posted on the TSSAA site..............silly me; that would mean that "commoners" could apply for the job (LOL).

On a serious note; the privates...ie MBA, BA, Ensworth, DL, BGA etc are doing a great job!! I do not blame any parent for wanting to send their child to this type educational setting. The old Metro-Nashville system use to be a great school system; it has basically been dismantled by THE "great federal govt experiment" of the 60's. 70's and 80's.............the privates have stepped in to fill the void.

*note to the public school systems surrounding Nashville..............you are next!! UNLESS some sanity can prevail, and local folks take back their public school systems.

It has always amazed me that the UP-EAST gov't experts (that seldom venture far from their gated enclaves.......and send their little darlings to the most exclusive schools that money can buy) are the ones that direct us common folks on how to run our school systems ...........There are some senators and reps that would stain their underwear; if they ever ventured too far from those "ivory towers" that they inhabit...........they have no clue, and all the answers!!

I posted on another thread some thoughts about youth sports, and how intense that is. If you don't believe me go watch a 10 year old baseball or basketball game. This is driven by the parents and coaches (typically dads). I think a lot of what we see today that makes us wish for the past is a reflection of the larger society.

I've refereed ice hockey games between 10-11 year old whose parents have paid in excess of $8,000 each season for their sons to play. This sum does not include the additional expense of private coaching. Nor does it include the year-round committment to one sport. It's ridiculous that 8 yr olds (or their parents) are specializing in one sport to the exclusion of all others (and most anything else as well).

I've refereed ice hockey games between 10-11 year old whose parents have paid in excess of $8,000 each season for their sons to play. This sum does not include the additional expense of private coaching. Nor does it include the year-round committment to one sport. It's ridiculous that 8 yr olds (or their parents) are specializing in one sport to the exclusion of all others (and most anything else as well).

$8,000 a season? To play hockey? I hope the refs were paid well...

$8,000 a season? To play hockey? I hope the refs were paid well...

Ice time here is very expensive because of the energy required to maintain the ice when the heat and humidity are consistently over 80.

And if you're looking for the big bucks, refereeing kid's hockey games is a real lotto winner.

Edited by KWoodroof

Ice time here is very expensive because of the energy required to maintain the ice when the heat and humidity are consistently over 80.

And if you're looking for the big bucks, refereeing kid's hockey games is a real lotto winner.

I will hear parents of 8 year olds around the baseball fields talking about getting their boys private hitting lessons or pitching lessons. When I hear this I can't help but think, did Joe DiMaggio get hitting lessons when he was 8, or did Sandy Koufax get pitching lessons. All of that extra teaching won't get a kid to high school ball if he doesn't have some natural ability and the "want to".