Hunters Lane needs HC?

slagiatt

If Coach Jackson sent in his resume then he should be a top candidate as well. He is a very good teacher/football coach who the students at Hunters Lane would respect and want to play for. The fact that he played college football at UT-Martin, started every game his final 3 years on the offensive line, proves that he is a man who knows the kind of work and dedication that it will take for the Warriors to get back to their winning ways.

Hunters Lane was a football program that qualified for the TSSAA State Playoffs 9 out of 10 years from 2000-2009. Just because the football program was 1-9 in 2010 does not mean that it's a situation where there hasn't been success for a long period of time. Winning has always been expected at HLHS whether it be under the direction of Pigue or Campbell.

Good Luck to Coach Jackson & Coach Finley....

If you are a friend of Jackson and Finley; I would get them to call Campbell or Pigue. Campbell is looking smarter as every day goes by..............also Macbeth was pretty scary!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are a friend of Jackson and Finley; I would get them to call Campbell or Pigue. Campbell is looking smarter as every day goes by..............also Macbeth was pretty scary!!

I'll tell you something about Cheatham County feliznavidad:

1.) you get 3 total coaching supplements: 1 to the head coach and 2 for assistants

2.) the coaching supplements for assistants is a whopping $1,500 per year

3.) there is no field crew of any kind which means that mowing and painting the field is the job of 3 men

4.) there is no weight lifting allowed which means that your players have no way to get bigger, stronger, or faster through a team workout

5.) there is no soccer field which means that for at least 2 hours every evening (with the exception being home game evenings) you are required to share the facility with soccer

and as of this week..........

The head football coach is not even allowed to teach in the building in which his players are located. I know it to be a fact that Finley was recently assigned to teach Biology at Sycamore High School in Pleasant View, despite the fact that he coaches at Cheatham County Central High School in Ashland City. How is he supposed to do this and prepare his team for games when he has limited help (2 paid assistants), limited resources (no workouts), and limited time (thanks to having to share the facility with soccer)?

There is no quality coach out there that this would seem "appealing" to :thumb:

I were a friend of Coach Finley(which I am)...I would not wish the HL job on him or any of my friends...stay away...far away...far far away :popcorneater:

Cheatham County is far from a coaches dream and every year something has been added to this ongoing nightmare which began in the fall of 2004 with the supplement cut. Anything that dates prior to this I will admit I do not have the knowledge to comment about but there had to be some major obstacles for coach Tharp to have left disliking the people on that hill the way that he did.

Assistant coaching supplements taken away

Weight lifting taken away

Complete access to your football field taken away

Being able to teach within the hallways of the school at which you coach..........taken away

Hoganknows:

It's impossible for a head coach to be successful under these conditions.

I too am a friend of Finley's and I would just like to see him end up at a place where he can coach without someone in power cutting his legs out from under him everytime he turns around. If placed in the right situation Coach Finley would win a lot of football games and be very well known by football fans across the state. Going 49-49 and making the playoffs 6 out of 9 years at Cheatham County is nothing short of a miracle job.

I too am a friend of Finley's and I would just like to see him end up at a place where he can coach without someone in power cutting his legs out from under him everytime he turns around. If placed in the right situation Coach Finley would win a lot of football games and be very well known by football fans across the state. Going 49-49 and making the playoffs 6 out of 9 years at Cheatham County is nothing short of a miracle job.

Well then it will be "butt ugly" to "butt ugly"..........and for the record; this making the play-offs these days is about the most watered down statistic out there. Means almost nothing to most. When there where only 3 classes and each district champ went; it meant something!! Even in the old days, going to a bowl game was an accomplishment!! I am sure he is a good coach............he better be!

ole

I don't know Finley or his assistant from a hole in the wall but would they be good with metro kids? To me, that is far more important than any coaching accomplishments. Without getting too preachy, a good coach at a school like Hunters Lane does far more than win football games, you may be the one positive stabilizing force in some of your players lives and for that to happen they have to relate to you and respect you. You also have to be able to deal with and balance a lot of extra issues that not all county schools have to deal with on a daily basis. On top of that you are most likely teaching a full load with an administrator that is a real "doll" who is not the most supportive individual in the world.

Is HL full of athletic potential, absolutely, is it full of issues more than even the usual metro school at this point, absolutely, can a coach be successful, absolutely, can any good X&O coach be successful there, no. A good coach at a school like HL is far far more than a coach and needs to realize that going in, that there is a decent amount more on your plate than county jobs. So as far as metro only hiring their own (which bothers me as well especially when they don't have winning records) maybe it is because all these "great" out of county coaches don't want or can't handle the additional responsibilities. I hope nothing but the best for HL except for one week in the fall but a prospective coach should know exactly what they are walking in to. And now I step off of my soap box.

Cheatham County Central High School is a low SES school in which coaches have to be very flexible when it comes to making sure the kids make it to-and-from practice. During the summer this can be quite a challenge to say the least! Finley has coached in Metro before. He is originally from West-TN and began his coaching career in Dyer County (again not the best as it relates to SES status). Jackson played college football at UT-Martin. Many of his teammates were guys who played their high school football at inner-city schools.

I will agree that in most cases this would be a challenge for a coach to make the transition from a rural county school to an urban city school. That is "IN MOST CASES".

These guys can coach period. The Cheatham County teams from 2003-2004-2005 under Finley would have been playoff contenders in any era. 25-10 over that period was without question the single best 3 year run in the history of Cheatham County Cubs Football.

I were a friend of Coach Finley(which I am)...I would not wish the HL job on him or any of my friends...stay away...far away...far far away :popcorneater:

Hogan, I don't know about you but my sources are telling me that this job HAS to be filled by a current metro employee... something to do with number of teachers without jobs in metro and positions available... you usually have better info than i do though. what do you think?

Hogan, I don't know about you but my sources are telling me that this job HAS to be filled by a current metro employee... something to do with number of teachers without jobs in metro and positions available... you usually have better info than i do though. what do you think?

That would make sense now that you brought it up. With so many displaced teachers I can't imagine them finding an open spot for a new teacher/coach. That could be problematic depending on who applied. As I said, I hope nothing but the best for HL except for one week but I fear they will be in this spot again sooner rather than later.

Cheatham County is far from a coaches dream and every year something has been added to this ongoing nightmare which began in the fall of 2004 with the supplement cut. Anything that dates prior to this I will admit I do not have the knowledge to comment about but there had to be some major obstacles for coach Tharp to have left disliking the people on that hill the way that he did.

Assistant coaching supplements taken away

Weight lifting taken away

Complete access to your football field taken away

Being able to teach within the hallways of the school at which you coach..........taken away

Hoganknows:

It's impossible for a head coach to be successful under these conditions.

Hoganknows that very well :thumb: Sad for all involved and players all over Cheatham County :popcorneater:

Mindless...that sounds like Metro, Hogan would not know. Hogan did speak with RTB a short time on Friday and nothing was said. Who knows with Metro...good luck to the guy who gets the HL job...he'll need it :popcorneater: