V Ball Scholarships for those who

bigfoot1200

For 3-4 years we have been learning about the scholarship world. Understanding NCAA rules and going one step more to understanding the process to GET a scholarship.

Too many parents rely on high school coaches; others wait too long to research schools, programs and most importantly what the child wants. College coaches are searching earlier and earlier for athletes to fill spots.

A parent spends hours upon hours researching schools to find out thier daughter wants to stay close to home. OR waits too long to check out open spots for players and contact schools directly.

I think college coaches can be overwhelmed and any work parents and students can do to eliminate certain catagories will save time and help to focus on the job - a realistic chance to play volleyball at the collegiant level and help pay for some or all of school.

Aside from reminding any student about grades while in high school; a high school student must undertand early what is at stake. The differnece between 2.9 GPA and 3.1 and 4.0 can be thousands of dollars sometimes the difference between going or not going or offers and BETTER offers.

In my recent experiences there is not just one way to get THAT offer. Some athletes tell me they were found by sending a tape, some were seen at showcases, some at camps and some were introduced by high school coaches. It really is work but before doing all that an athlete needs to be realistic about their choices and talent level. Don't wait on anyone to do it for you. Visit schools on line and on campus visits to determine size and layout preferences. Check courses of study and costs; ask coaches what players they need- they know if they need a libero or a hitter. Be patient while the process works and do what is best for you not what looks better to others. Remmber high school and college coaches are people too. Some may be good at recruiting but don't gamble your daughter's education on it.

What school did your daughter attend? We played at Anderson County. There the coaches were highly involved. They had us narrow our focus, and would tell us where to begin and what to do.

Our coach told us that grades were the most important factor in year one. He made the girls maintain at least a 3.0 or they didn't play. He got weekly reports from the teachers and if my daughter was struggling in a subject she might be held out of pracrice to get extra work. We had a TEAM GPA of over 3.5 every year! But this started with the coaches.

It sounds like your coach didn't give alot of help. There is a great thread on this subject about playing in college.

Bratman, Bigfoots daughter played at Karns which probably had the most talent in a single class that Knoxville ever produced. @ big middles, a fantastic setter and OH (who was a great all around player) were fantastic. They are a good illustration of the point being made on a previous post about why Anderson County is the place to play if you want to attend college. AC had 4 seniors, all short. 3 received volleyball scholarships.

The difference is the history of the program. I agree with Bigfoot that in some situations like Karms and Farragut (both of whom have strong programs) the athlete has to do more. A school like AC has had HUGE success in placing athletes in college.

Bigfoot is right, at most places the athlete has to take the lead. At K2 we try and help. Also, the AC coaches will usually help any local player. Over the years they have been fantastic about giving references to local players, and have helped dozens of athletes in East TN get scholarships. We are lucky to have a program the caliber of AC in our area. It helps promote volleyball for everyone!

Great Post.

I am somewhat familiar with the Karns senior class: I understand all 5 seniors will be playing at the college level and all with scholarships. A mixture of DI (1), DII (2), and DII (2). At K2 Club the same is true with the 18 team across the board for playing volleyball. The seniors are from: Farragut, Alcoa, Oak Ridge, Karns, Catholic. The seniors who wanted or needed scholarships did receive athletic scholarships - supplimented by academic scholarships to go where they wanted.(some did not necessarily want to play volleyball more than they wanted to attend a specific school).

I also think high school coaches should be more helpful (as AC) in guiding parents and athletes in such an important decision. Thousands of dollars are at risk in addition to loosing a chance at a more preferred school if they don't work on this early enough. High School coaches and athletic directors may not be skilled in this area but could invite college coaches and host a seminar for parents and athletes to insure they understand the process. This doesn't take much and I believe college coaches would jump at the chance to be a speaker at these events.

Also-It would be nice to have something like a clearing house-list of student/athletes and how they got recruited; what was the deciding factor and what did they actively do to get 'noticed'. I know the K2 senior from Karns signed in November so she obviously was sure about her choice earlier than many.

I think this also says a lot about the importance of volleyball at the collegient level. $$$$ for Education.

Good post Jumper. I agree with alot of what you say.

At Karns this year the 2 middles and the setter were strong enough to attract attention if they played club. If they didn't play club would they have gotten a scholarship? Don't know.

I think the high school coaches should do more. At most schools they rely on the club coaches and that is simply not feasible.

Now that I have become familiar with what Anderson County is doing I would suggest it as the model for what the other schools should be doing. They play girls whether they play club or not. This is because of the following:

1)Reputation. The coaching that the athletes receive at AC is equal to or superior to what the athlete will receive in most small colleges. The college coaches know what they are getting.

2)Grades. Does any other school place the same emphasis on grades? I was told by one of their coaches that the first question the colleges want to know is the GPA (not the vertical) and the charachter of the athlete.

3)Relationships. The AC coaches take the time to build relationships with colleges in the southeast, and take the time to help the athlete.

I can't beging to tell you the number of coaches that have contacted a club player and said "Hey, I called the AC coaches looking for a setter and they said they didn't have one, but really bragged on you!"

How cool is that.

Do you think the AC coaches would be willing to hold a workshop on this issue, and do think the other high school programs would even come?

I started another thread where I gave the opinion that the best school to attend if you want to play in college and I stand by that staement. It is sad that more schools don't do more.

I agree too. That most players should not rely on the high school season entirely nor should they leave it up to the club coaches either. I believe it as a combination of things when blended together can make the difference in opportunities for these girls. If the AC coaches or any coaches would coordinate with A.D. s and prepare a collection of materials and lists as well as workshops it could be amazing. It is sad to think a great player with potential and desire for college gets overlooked because a coach or parent 'didn't have a clue what to do'.

A Good Start-The NCAA web site is filled with information about many of these subjects but it takes action to make sure something becomes of it.

I wonder if middle and west Tennessee schools have programs in place to assist players thru schools and local clubs. :thumb: I am glad AC has such a reputation , however not every player can move to one school; so all schools need to add programs and make this a focus. I bet the football programs have many of these steps already in place in most schools- volleyball needs to catch up.

At Karns the volleyball coach is not a teacher in the school- she is only the vball coach. I wonder if this makes a differnece in a coaches involvement. I don't think Farragut's coach is a teacher either.

I would hope the AC coaches would be interested in overseeing such a program. A large kudos to them to do that. Are you gonna ask 'em?

After reading this thread, I started to answer the last post but there was not a sto

pping point. A short answer is there are a number of schools that have coaches with enough tenure that can help students who play Volleyball and understnd Title 9 that can help some secure the interest of College Universities. There certainly are enough Club Directors in middle and West Tennessee that can be of help. I can give reasons why more do not secure them but again this page would be full. The major reason right now is the need for the study of nursing and a lot of schools seeing the players would like that course of study, explain that it is difficult to work at a part time job of Volleyball and go thru that cirruculum. Education will likely work but techinal study with labs would seem to be difficult. Only in the last few years have athletes been recruited in school to play. Conditioning and physical training has become better. Skills and summer traning has become better. Training at a younger age has become better. Slowly but at a quicker pace, many players can now have better skills and be exposed to areas where they can be noticed at tournaments whether it be Club or School. More schools are being noted for great programs and players as well as their edcational value. I am going to stop there.

The answer is yes. It could be better. Volleyball takes a lot of time out of a school year and there are tradeoffs. Volleyball requires a person with great time management and I am not sure all have that attribute.

Now the last point you made and it was a profile of who a coach is. You mentioned some coaches are teachers and some are not. Thats true. Volleyball in school lasts 3.5 months. Coaches can coach other sports also. They can also coach club. If and when the coaching of High School players reap the results at Schools of scholarships, IMO raising the pay of coaches will be difficult. There are a number who should be paid more but that pay likely will not come out of a school but likely out of a Booster club.

Edited by PHargis

Announcements