Harpeth Baseball Head Coach Opening?

carefulwhatuwishfor

I spoke to Harpeth AD yesterday, he is hopeful to have a Coach hired this week. He has narrowed the field down to a handful of candidates and will be making an offer to someone soon. It's amazing to me that we had 40 plus applicants for a job that doesn't pay anymore than this one.I realize that most Coaches don't do it for the money but come on, at least make it worth their time with all of the field work and time required to run a top notch program. I am optimistic that we will get a good coach and our program will continue to grow and prosper. Harpeth has a great group of guys returning and they need some continuity in order to achieve all they are capable of, both as students and athletes. Will let you know as soon as we hear an official word of the new hire.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke to Harpeth AD yesterday, he is hopeful to have a Coach hired this week. He has narrowed the field down to a handful of candidates and will be making an offer to someone soon. It's amazing to me that we had 40 plus applicants for a job that doesn't pay anymore than this one.I realize that most Coaches don't do it for the money but come on, at least make it worth their time with all of the field work and time required to run a top notch program. I am optimistic that we will get a good coach and our program will continue to grow and prosper. Harpeth has a great group of guys returning and they need some continuity in order to achieve all they are capable of, both as students and athletes. Will let you know as soon as we hear an official word of the new hire.

Hopefully, the hire will bring some stability to the program.

So much for last Friday being the date. Really dragging their feet with this one. Better be a big hire.

As I've alluded to before, it would be much easier to hire a baseball coach than to hire one that teaches a specific subject. More than half of the principals in this system are in new roles, half of the vice principals are different, at least one AD is gone, there's been a systematic evaluation of almost every job in the school district with many teachers and administrators swapping schools. The schools couldn't even post the job until the beginning of dead period. I wouldn't say dragging their feet is the proper terminology. It's a process with all the changes being implemented in the system. Heck they are going from block scheduling to 7 periods and reworking the school calendar.

That being said, Harpeth is pretty close to hiring someone, but it'll be on their time table.

• 2 weeks later...

Marc Walls, former assistant at Clarksville High is Harpeth's new baseball coach.

Gary Halstead former head baseball and football coach at Sycamore is Harpeth's new softball coach.

Don't know much about Walls but I do know that Halstead is a winner and the girls will respect and play hard for him.

Marc Walls, former assistant at Clarksville High is Harpeth's new baseball coach.

Gary Halstead former head baseball and football coach at Sycamore is Harpeth's new softball coach.

What does this mean about Sycamore Baseball? Wasn't he the baseball coach there? Why would he go to softball? My head is spinning. Sycamore has been through some coaches as well lately. Big hire for them coming up. Does anyone know the status?

What does this mean about Sycamore Baseball? Wasn't he the baseball coach there? Why would he go to softball? My head is spinning. Sycamore has been through some coaches as well lately. Big hire for them coming up. Does anyone know the status?

I'd bet that Daniel Smiley will be Sycamore's next baseball coach. As far as the "coaching changes" go I would say IT'S A PRODUCT OF HOW THE COUNTY'S LEADERS VIEW SPORTS. It's not the first time that changes have taken place and I am sure it will not be the last time if things keep going the way that they are.

I'd bet that Daniel Smiley will be Sycamore's next baseball coach. As far as the "coaching changes" go I would say IT'S A PRODUCT OF HOW THE COUNTY'S LEADERS VIEW SPORTS. It's not the first time that changes have taken place and I am sure it will not be the last time if things keep going the way that they are.

Daniel Smiley accepted the head baseball coaching today at Sycamore.

According to the articles in the AC Times and I-24 Exchange, Coach Halstead asked to move to another school in the system and wasn't moved by the county.

I'd take everything with a grain of salt but I agree with howdoitknow2 generally. There's not been a ton of support for high school athletics in this county for awhile. Finding out that the band funding was $10,000 per high school and $5,000 per middle school while every athletic program is expected to be self sufficient was a well kept secret. I didn't realize that at all while I was busting my tail to raise money for the athletic programs AND supporting the band's efforts. What did The Who say? "I won't be fooled again."

Marc is an outstanding young man. My son thinks the world of him. Great with the players, very hard working and he's worked with some of the best coaches in the area. A steal for Harpeth.

Daniel Smiley accepted the head baseball coaching today at Sycamore.

According to the articles in the AC Times and I-24 Exchange, Coach Halstead asked to move to another school in the system and wasn't moved by the county.

I'd take everything with a grain of salt but I agree with howdoitknow2 generally. There's not been a ton of support for high school athletics in this county for awhile. Finding out that the band funding was $10,000 per high school and $5,000 per middle school while every athletic program is expected to be self sufficient was a well kept secret. I didn't realize that at all while I was busting my tail to raise money for the athletic programs AND supporting the band's efforts. What did The Who say? "I won't be fooled again."

Halstead could have came to Cheatham County and coached both softball and football. He is really close with Cubs head football coach (Finley). The county did not want to add him at CCCHS so they moved him to Harpeth to coach softball there. He is closer to home and has a P.E./Wellness position. I am happy for him that he at least got that much. I know he would have been a huge addition to what is a thin coaching staff at Cheatham (4 coaches). Sycamore only has 3 coaches at this point as well.

If you can beat a drum or blow a tuba you are set around here. Sports is unappreciated in CHEATHAM COUNTY and has been since 2004 when this ordeal truly began.