Briarcrest and Houston Baseball Fight Video

CantBstopped

Unless the BC runner is willing to be tagged out, the BC runner is faced with a blocked plate has two choices. He can:

1. Attempt to slide around the catcher and avoid being tagged, or,

2. Collide with the catcher with such force that the catcher has no chance of keeping possession of the ball.

The catcher looks like he is aware of which option the BC runner will choose. The Houston catcher must do everything he can to brace for the impact and keep the ball in his glove.

THAT is BASEBALL, everything else is a bunch of stupidity.

Unless the BC runner is willing to be tagged out, the BC runner is faced with a blocked plate has two choices. He can:

2. Collide with the catcher with such force that the catcher has no chance of keeping possession of the ball.The catcher looks like he is aware of which option the BC runner will choose. The Houston catcher must do everything he can to brace for the impact and keep the ball in his glove.

High school rules state the runner must avoid contact no matter what.

YOU CAN NOT RUN OVER THE CATCHER IN HIGH SCHOOL. It is allowed in Major League basball. If there would not have been a brawl the runner would have been called out and ejected from the game.

correct runner must avoid contact..clearly its runners fault for brawl when he 1.took helmet off 2.puffed himself up ,probably spouting off ..

I agree 100% that high school rules state the the base runner must avoid contact and obviously from the video he did not do this. He broke the rules, should be called out, and ejected from the game. The collision did not appear malicious however. It wasn't anything like what I had imagined from all the hearsay I have heard. The catcher should have popped up, grabbed the ball, and continued on with the game.

Been waiting on the video. Consider this an outsider's look, as I approach this as the only evidence a jury might see.

The runner should have avoided contact and did not. Given the "MLB mentality" he may have thought he was going to the Pete Rose of this generation (on the field at least). BUT--he came in with both elbows chin high and that looks malicious.

The cather, in my mind, is clear, even with his feet/cleats in the runner's belly. Appears to be more defensive or an issue of physics as he falls than malicious. BUT--he came up escalating the intensity of the issue, initiated the post-play physical contact and created the brawl.

Both appear to be running that jaw. The catcher's continued demonstrative request for further physical confrontation after the situation was contained brings additional sanctions, in my mind.

Runner and catcher should be dismissed; players that left the dugouts or their positions on the field to participate (even is just standing around heckling) should face a standard two-game suspension. Each school should be on extended (1 year) probation with zero tolerance.

Now, that's what I see in the video. One man's opinion. BUT--I don't have the entire investigation, context of the event in the whole of the game nor the past record of the teams and schools, so two years of no post season may be justified.

Finally, and many will see this as a cheap shot--it's NOT intended that way, it is Memphis/Shelby County. Like it or not, the history of the area, specifically recent history, attaches itself to all schools.

Sad day for the kids not involved. Wonder if the schools had ruled the runner/catcher permanently ineligible for athletics before the sanctions if it would have made a difference. If they were both seniors that suggestion would seem to be moot.

2. Collide with the catcher with such force that the catcher has no chance of keeping possession of the ball.

The catcher looks like he is aware of which option the BC runner will choose. The Houston catcher must do everything he can to brace for the impact and keep the ball in his glove.

well said sir...end of discussion!

1. Catcher is at minimum 5 feet up the line. Is that even considered blocking the plate?

2. Don't blame the runner for being annoyed for the catcher doing a leg thrust in his stomach. There was no need for that.

3. The whole situation could have been avoided if the 3rd baseman hadn't stormed down the line and took the player out.

3. The whole situation could have been avoided if the 3rd baseman hadn't stormed down the line and took the player out.

Correct and I missed that. Another that should be sitting.

Totally Agree!

if anyone was punished, it should have been him. He started the entire thing. If he hadn't jumped in there, the baserunner and catcher would has just stood there, and the ump could have got between them.

If you ask me, the TSSAA way overreacted. Sad that all those kids got 2 years, when it was only a couple that should have been punished. It was like the TSSAA didn't want to take the time to figure out who was guilty.

High school rules state the runner must avoid contact no matter what.

Wrong ...wrong...and just plain wrong. It pains me sometimes to read some of the BS that people who think they know the rules and then quote them here. No where in the FED rulebook does it state that a runner must avoid contact.

By the way...what you stated is wrong.