Robert Hubbs

yankees8589

Belmont would be a great school to play and get a good, and expensive education. I wish him the best.

Hubbs will benefit himself by gaining about 20-30 lbs. before he is a senior. This can be done pretty easily for a skinny kid like him. His frame can handle more weight and it will only help him. Again I would like to see him in Memphis blue.

Edited by warmachine7954

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I said it after seeing DC/Jackson NS for the district championship when Hudson was a freshman, this was Casey Prather's SR season. However, I said it was contingent on Hudson becoming quicker, better athletically and growing to a legit 6'6. Hudson had good size for a freshman and a FAR MORE ADVANCED game than you see from freshman. I remember that game as being a super charged atmosphere and Hudson clearly was up to the task, as a true freshman.

My thinking back then was not flawed simply because the kid was a freshman. For high major you have to have at least enough next level athletic ability for that level. Three years later the kid just hasn't gotten much better in that department.

I have no idea but if the Belmont stuff is true that's a lot high level than some might think.

Having said all that....this kid is still a really good player and a legit D1 up to mid major talent. Belmont is one of the better non bcs programs in the country (outside of the A10, the Tigers, Zags and handful of others)Belmont has fantastic facilities, has been dominating their conference the last several years, and has been to the big dance several times in that same time span. Belmont ain't no joke...this is a good program...you don't dominate your conference and become a regular NCAA Tournament team (over the last few years) without good players.

I'm not saying the Bruins are SEC or anything like that, I'm just saying this is a really good D1 basketball program that you not only have to be a smart kid but a really good player to. Belmont is FAR FROM a bottom of the barrel D1 program. It may not be High Major but it's legit good D1 program. The difference between a program like Belmont and the UTM's and SEMO's of D1 is like night and day.

Belmont would be a really good option for a kid like Hudson.

I know I said it after seeing DC/Jackson NS for the district championship when Hudson was a freshman, this was Casey Prather's SR season. However, I said it was contingent on Hudson becoming quicker, better athletically and growing to a legit 6'6. Hudson had good size for a freshman and a FAR MORE ADVANCED game than you see from freshman. I remember that game as being a super charged atmosphere and Hudson clearly was up to the task, as a true freshman.

My thinking back then was not flawed simply because the kid was a freshman. For high major you have to have at least enough next level athletic ability for that level. Three years later the kid just hasn't gotten much better in that department.

I have no idea but if the Belmont stuff is true that's a lot high level than some might think.

Having said all that....this kid is still a really good player and a legit D1 up to mid major talent. Belmont is one of the better non bcs programs in the country (outside of the A10, the Tigers, Zags and handful of others)Belmont has fantastic facilities, has been dominating their conference the last several years, and has been to the big dance several times in that same time span. Belmont ain't no joke...this is a good program...you don't dominate your conference and become a regular NCAA Tournament team (over the last few years) without good players.

I'm not saying the Bruins are SEC or anything like that, I'm just saying this is a really good D1 basketball program that you not only have to be a smart kid but a really good player to. Belmont is FAR FROM a bottom of the barrel D1 program. It may not be High Major but it's legit good D1 program. The difference between a program like Belmont and the UTM's and SEMO's of D1 is like night and day.

Rick Byrd is one of the best. Contacts from grad from Belmont are very valuable.

Edited by wingman10

I agree Belmont is a great place to play for anyone. It's all about recruiting for schools like these. The A-Sun has some schools with nice facilites greast campuses and a different type of student body than UTM or SEMO. I hope, and expect Coach James to will more games this year at UTM than he did the past few years.

I agree Belmont is a great place to play for anyone. It's all about recruiting for schools like these. The A-Sun has some schools with nice facilites greast campuses and a different type of student body than UTM or SEMO. I hope, and expect Coach James to will more games this year at UTM than he did the past few years.

I would love to see UTM improve across the board. I'm just afraid athletics and support for them is not much of a priority as it should be.

I would love to see UTM improve across the board. I'm just afraid athletics and support for them is not much of a priority as it should be.

Not enough money. When I was involved with the program back in 2006 UTM had the next to lowest budget out of all the D1 schools. Austin Peay and Murray had double or triple the budget of UTM which was something like 140,000. Martin, TN is pretty boring compared to Clarksville and Murray. But Coach James is a different coach than Coach Campbell. I think he will have a good season this year.

I agree with everything that is said about Belmont. I, myself, think it'd be a good place for Hudson, but that's his choice. A degree from Belmont would look really good in years to come.

warmachine, I agree with you 100% about Hubbs putting on 20-30 lbs. His play of the game is definately capable of playing at a high level of college ball. His size is what would make him at a disadvantage as he is RIGHT NOW. That's where stength and conditioning coaches come into effect in college. Once they get ahold of him, he will look like another D1 player on the floor. For instance, look at Leslie McDonald. Pretty slim while he was in high school, right? Everyone knew he was a high level player while he was in high school. He got to Chapel Hill and my first time watching him on tv, he looked like a completely different person because he had gotten much bigger. Hubbs will eventually fill into what he needs to in order to body up with the guys at that level.

Hubbs will put on some muscle.....I saw him this summer and he looked to me like he is starting to fill out....his body ain't to bad right now for a 16 year old, i'm guessing he is 16. But, without question he needs to add some pounds and he will.

I don't know, I hate to go out on a limb when the kid still has two years of high school....but, I think this kid has a chance to be one of the best ever from West TN outside of Memphis. I mean we have seen some good ones that went high major and made contributions and got real minutes at that level. They were all, for the most part, legit D1 high major kids but most (some were) were not the major impact types. I THINK THIS HUBBS KID HAS A CHANCE TO BE A IMPACT ALL CONFERENCE TYPE HIGH MAJOR. But, who knows?

The thing about playing at that level is picking the right program with the right coach for the best style that fits the kids talent the best. Many times a kid will go wherever for various reasons but doesn't end up having as much of an impact as he could had he went somewhere else. If a kid isn't one of those can't miss type recruits he can easily get lost in the shuffle because of being recruited over. The minute a kid steps on campus he is instantly surrounded by team mates just as good athletically and with 1,2 or three years of college competition under their belt.

This is just my opinion....I think Reginald Delk was one of the best i've seen from West Tn in a few years but going to Miss ST was just not the right program for the kid. Stansbury ruined the kid in my opinion...all he did was hang out on the wing and shot a few threes....This kid could drive, score in traffic, take you off the dribble, run the court and shoot....was a natural scorer with good size for a legit 2 guard at that level.....then he goes to Louisville but at that point it was to late. If I was a kid good enough to play at that level first thing I would look at is how many kids end up transferring from whatever program because if their is a trend that would be a red flag for me. I think the WOW factor of being sold a bill of goods from high major coaches can sometimes cloud a kids vision, that in combination of handlers and AAU coaches steering players to certain programs even if many times it's not a good fit. That level is a different ball game in every way....you can't always trust the so called advice....tell you one coach that I think is straight up and won't screw his kids as long as they give effort and show toughness is Coach Stallings at Vandy. But not all coaches are like that dude....you can trust a guy like that in the recruiting process but not all are like him...I think coach Pastner is straight up to.

yankees, I'm not bashing anything you say... but, I don't think Hubbs is THAT good. This is going to open a whole new can of worms, but it always makes for interesting discussion when talking about the best in West TN. There has been some great talent through this area. I do believe that in years to come, Hubbs will be discussed as one of those top players that has been through West TN, predominately rural west Tn. Hubbs is a GREAT player, but let's not forget Trey Pearson, Reginald Delk as you mentioned, Perry Powell, Joe Shivers. Keep in mind, that 3 of those 4 players never had successful college careers for personal reasons(think about that for a second and you'll get what I'm saying). Like I said, I'm not bashing everything you just said, but I don't think that Hubbs is good enough to go into the SEC, ACC or the Big East and have his way.

What I said might be misinterpreted......this is part of what I said......I don't know, I hate to go out on a limb when the kid still has two years of high school....but, I think this kid has a chance to be one of the best ever from West TN outside of Memphis. I THINK THIS HUBBS KID HAS A CHANCE TO BE A IMPACT ALL CONFERENCE TYPE HIGH MAJOR. But, who knows?

To expand on what I was saying; I never said Robert Hubbs would have his way at that level. What I said is I think he has a chance to have more of an impact than some of the others and COULD potentially be a all conference type at the big 6 level.... assumed people understood I didn't mean from jump street as a freshman.

In fact hardly any player has his way at that level, even the all conference types because they players are to good and athletic. Some people think to be that type of player you need to average 20 points or a big time rebounder 10 rebounds a game. At that level even the best don't approach those kind of numbers. Some do but they are few and far between. You know what will get you all conference in a big 6 conference.....15 points 3 or 4 boards and 1 or 2 steals a game and your there for a 2 or 3. A big man that can pull down 7 boards a drop 15 a night is there. The bigtime scorers are 17+ average.

Do I think Robert Hubbs has a CHANCE to turn into a player who can average 15 points a game in a big 6 conference.....yes I do. But who knows? I don't care who it is the jump to that level is like night and day and the ones that turn out better do so because of three things (1) better than average work ethic (2) more mental toughness (3) desire to max out the talent and be the best he can be.........those three things are a must to have major success at that level.....guess what? If you ain't like Barnes or Sullinger you can cheat in the three areas I mentioned and expect to be a better than average player at that level.....you have to have those three things because it's men you compete against not high school kids or same age kids in aau. Thats the exact reason some kids never reach their potential, it's not that they were over hyped... you can't cheat at that level.

Every body has misses because you can't project how kids will react to the adjustment. If Hubbs has the required confidence and right work ethic I think he has much more potential that what some might think. Kids that are able to put the basketball in the hole in multiple ways are hard to find, this kid is one of those but obviously you have to continue to progress and get better. I mean does anybody honestly think this kid is just suddenly going to stop getting better as an athlete and player....this kid has not even begun to scratch the surface...that's what I truly believe.

I would be curious to hear what the naysayers have to say with some specific reasons why he isn't as good or doesn't have the REAL potential or REAL chance to be a better than average big 6 player. I mean this kids story is no different than 60 0r 70 kids ranked for his class, or any class for that matter. It's possible some may not see other kids from the rest of the country...i have no idea...but I can tell anybody that will listen he is as good right now as a majority of the ranked kids for his class. I'm not saying he is the next Lebron but I am saying he has a chance to be some one who can make a real and significant contribution at the high major level. Think of it this way....if the kid is 15 or 16 years old now imagine where he could be at 20 to 22 years old with the right work ethic and attitude.

Edited by yankees8589

yankees, I understand what you said. Like I said, I'm not bashing what you were saying. I believe he'll have a very good hs career by the time he leaves DC. He could go down as the greatest Choctaw basketball player to come through there (even over Perry Powell). Depending on if Hubbs gets better over the next 2 years will dictate everything we're debating. If he works hard and continues to get better...there's a good possibility he could be a big time player in a big time conference. If he's just satisfied with how good he is now, he'll be playing in the OVC. It all depends on how bad he wants it.