To Spread or not to Spread

teton

I see what you are saying here. It worked to perfection against SP that day, but how quick do we forget about '05. That spread offense was a little more effective, don't you think? Best I recall, we didn't have any problem keeping the ball when needed, nor did we have any trouble getting off the field. It's all about personel and coaching.

The irony about the '09 title game was that after all is said and done, SP scored quickly in that game. It really came down to a missed fg and an unforced fumble by Hale on driving series. Plus, U.C. opened up a premium can of Acme Whoop Arse on the Pirates keeping the ball for a better part of 3 qrts and still had to kick a fg with time running out. Its a good thing U.C. didn't have a mediocre day like the Pirates had. :roflol:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To spread or not to spread is the question. This question should always be left up to the individual living legend coaches that run their respective clubs. Every club is different. Some clubs benefit from running the spread formations while other clubs benefit more from other types of formations. It is these types of decisions that help a coach gain legend status. Did he make the right decision or the wrong one? Only time will tell.

The Spread is like any other offense. You can run anything you want to out of it as long as you have the coaching and the personnel.

I've seen teams spread it out and not throw it more than 2 or 3 times a games. And I've seen teams line up in the I or Pro set and throw it 30 times a game.

In my humble opinion, the Spread should just be a package in any offense to give defenses different looks.

A good team, IMO, can line up and run the Spread, Wing-T, I, Pro Set, etc., without missing a beat.

The irony about the '09 title game was that after all is said and done, SP scored quickly in that game. It really came down to a missed fg and an unforced fumble by Hale on driving series. Plus, U.C. opened up a premium can of Acme Whoop Arse on the Pirates keeping the ball for a better part of 3 qrts and still had to kick a fg with time running out. Its a good thing U.C. didn't have a mediocre day like the Pirates had. :roflol:

We could pretty much move the ball running and passing and Union City couldn't stop our offense but one way...keep them off the field. They had a great offensive game plan but the between the tackle running didn't hurt us as much as the sweeps and counters to the edges that killed us when we had them stopped 3rd and long and we had the box loaded to stop the power run. That game was just a couple plays defensively (or offensively really) from being a Pirate victory. One stop...just one.. and we win that game.

I didn't like the spread when we first went to it but is a good of a running offense as it is a passing offense. it is perfect for the personnel we have. We would not be nearly as good running the power I or a similar offense

Edited by zonepirate

We could pretty much move the ball running and passing and Union City couldn't stop our offense but one way...keep them off the field. They had a great offensive game plan but the between the tackle running didn't hurt us as much as the sweeps and counters to the edges that killed us when we had them stopped 3rd and long and we had the box loaded to stop the power run. That game was just a couple plays defensively (or offensively really) from being a Pirate victory. One stop...just one.. and we win that game.

I didn't like the spread when we first went to it but is a good of a running offense as it is a passing offense. it is perfect for the personnel we have. We would not be nearly as good running the power I or a similar offense

The wing T is where it's at, lady. ;)

Zone...I've thought the exact same thing since you guys went to the "pirate" version of the spread. To the untrained eye, it looks like a totally different offense, but in reality, you are really just doing a lot of the same things you've always done, just out of different formations. You guys have the perfect personel to run different variations of the spread. You have too many horses to line up in the I and feed one back 35 times a game.