Who is better: Dobyns-Bennett or Greeneville ?

crawdad

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gift to the passionate. Wear it out boys. :popcorneater:

Impossible to say really. We don't play each other in a real game. I will say this though. Either one could beat South with their 2nd string, blindfolded, with one hand tied behind their back, on crutches. on a muddy field. Chew on that crawpappy.

Here is my honest opinion on the debate. In general, I think DB has the better teams year in and year out (bigger talent pool). But, I think Greeneville has narrowed the gap in the past few years. They have a great staff with a very good head coach (former Maryville assistant), and they have a great weight program and facilities. I think Greeneville would probably win 4-5 games against DB in a 10 year stretch since the changes they’ve made to the program. That’s not bad for a little ole 4A team.

I think that is being respectful to both programs. I honestly think last year was one of those years that we would have defeated DB, much like the last time the two teams played. Of course, we'll never know. I think we would have a decent shot of beating DB this year, but you guys could win the next 5 games for all we know. The bottom line is, we won’t know unless they play for real. You can’t really use history to make a true depiction of the two programs, because Greeneville has dedicated themselves to building a great program over the past few years (much like DB has done for many years).

Here is my honest opinion on the debate. In general, I think DB has the better teams year in and year out (bigger talent pool). But, I think Greeneville has narrowed the gap in the past few years. They have a great staff with a very good head coach (former Maryville assistant), and they have a great weight program and facilities. I think Greeneville would probably win 4-5 games against DB in a 10 year stretch since the changes they’ve made to the program. That’s not bad for a little ole 4A team.

I think that is being respectful to both programs. I honestly think last year was one of those years that we would have defeated DB, much like the last time the two teams played. Of course, we'll never know. I think we would have a decent shot of beating DB this year, but you guys could win the next 5 games for all we know. The bottom line is, we won’t know unless they play for real. You can’t really use history to make a true depiction of the two programs, because Greeneville has dedicated themselves to building a great program over the past few years (much like DB has done for many years).

Very well put. I just don't subscribe to the (talent pool)point that you make. Theres to many smaller schools that are able to play with the large schools. What you said about the changes Greenville has made is where the difference is. You took the same talent pool and molded them into a great program. Dedication, a good/great head coach, good weight/conditioning program, new field, you got the fans interested again. You could of won the 5A championship last year.

Did Greenville win the state last year? Yes. Has it been years since DB won a state title? Yes. Will either team ever win another? Who knows. I follow DB every week and even travel to other games on our off weeks. I watch a tremendious about of high school football and i've seen some very good teams over the years. Greenville had a great team last year and yes they did score more points than anybody ever, i'm not doubting that. The fact of the matter is, i don't believe they have the players to do it again. And i don't believe they could beat us on a consistent basis. Just like the rumors for years about Gate City beating us. It's just not going to happen. Having us play in the future just would'nt decide which team was better last year. If you take Carmichael out of the equation last year, the Devils would'nt have won the title. He was the main deal on that team. If we had lost Seabolt, we still had many weapons to throw at you. Now, Greenville go out and prove me wrong and i will admit you are a great program but i will never say that you are better than DB. Never!!!!!

Did Greenville win the state last year? Yes. Has it been years since DB won a state title? Yes. Will either team ever win another? Who knows. I follow DB every week and even travel to other games on our off weeks. I watch a tremendious about of high school football and i've seen some very good teams over the years. Greenville had a great team last year and yes they did score more points than anybody ever, i'm not doubting that. The fact of the matter is, i don't believe they have the players to do it again. And i don't believe they could beat us on a consistent basis. Just like the rumors for years about Gate City beating us. It's just not going to happen. Having us play in the future just would'nt decide which team was better last year. If you take Carmichael out of the equation last year, the Devils would'nt have won the title. He was the main deal on that team. If we had lost Seabolt, we still had many weapons to throw at you. Now, Greenville go out and prove me wrong and i will admit you are a great program but i will never say that you are better than DB. Never!!!!!

While losing Carmichael, Spradlin, and others is a big loss for sure, I think you are underestimating just how good Greeneville’s defense is. I don’t think I’m bragging when I say that Greeneville’s defensive line is as good as anyone. Rollins and Hall are the real deal, and they are getting looks from SEC schools from what I’ve heard. Greeneville is returning most (nearly all) of their players from last year on both sides of the ball. They scored higher this year on the speed and strength tests than ever. The running back Shuffler, ran a 4.38 forty at a combine and Coach Ballard said he was the fastest player Greeneville has had back there in years (and that’s saying something!) during an interview with KnoxNews.com. Also, I hear they are going to put Hall in the backfield as well. The QB was actually part of a duel QB system for the first few games last year. So, he played significant minutes his Freshman and Sophomore years. Our very good kicker returns as well, and will be a nice weapon for Greeneville.

Greeneville may not be as good as last year, but they are certainly good enough to be the favorite to win 4A again. Whether they win it or not remains to be seen.

While losing Carmichael, Spradlin, and others is a big loss for sure, I think you are underestimating just how good Greeneville’s defense is. I don’t think I’m bragging when I say that Greeneville’s defensive line is as good as anyone. Rollins and Hall are the real deal, and they are getting looks from SEC schools from what I’ve heard. Greeneville is returning most (nearly all) of their players from last year on both sides of the ball. They scored higher this year on the speed and strength tests than ever. The running back Shuffler, ran a 4.38 forty at a combine and Coach Ballard said he was the fastest player Greeneville has had back there in years (and that’s saying something!) during an interview with KnoxNews.com. Also, I hear they are going to put Hall in the backfield as well. The QB was actually part of a duel QB system for the first few games last year. So, he played significant minutes his Freshman and Sophomore years. Our very good kicker returns as well, and will be a nice weapon for Greeneville.

Greeneville may not be as good as last year, but they are certainly good enough to be the favorite to win 4A again. Whether they win it or not remains to be seen.

Is the question is who is better this year or just as a whole overthe years?? i am guessing this year? Cause if overall that is a no brainer.

Greenville will win 4A again this year. I don't see anybody out there rising up with a challenge.