Best defenses in the state?

Nohands17

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Through the first 3 games the starting D hasn't given up a point yet. Next 4 games will tell us more though........

i know its hard to accept for milan fans...but the fact is that district is as weak as its ever been and hopefully as weak as it ever will be...obion co will score some points but not enough to win...and covington is a decent team but doesnt have the horses to take down the bulldogs...that being said...everyone else is mush... .500 teams at best and most likely 1 and done in the playoffs...however milan is legit and relevant in 3A...until it comes to alcoa once again...milan cant help that the ppl they play are down this season but thats no reason to get so excited over the opponents theyve played so far...

as far as the grnvll/alcoa matchup...i cant wait...but after reading some of the grnvll posts i actually wana see alcoa run clock on them...grnvll is once again IMO the top team in 4A...but alcoa is the 2nd best team in the state and a whole different animal than anything grnvll has ever seen...

Stats alone can be deceptive due to quality of opponent, which defense (1st, 2nd teams) gave up the points, etc.. With that said, CPA's defense has been pretty impressive. Their 1st team defense has only given up 14 points in 3 games and that was to Goodpasture. I would be surprised if anyone else holds GP to 14 until well into the playoffs. The other 14 points CPA gave up against Kenwood was not the starters and the game was already a rout. They then shut out Lexington Christian 51-0.

i know its hard to accept for milan fans...but the fact is that district is as weak as its ever been and hopefully as weak as it ever will be...obion co will score some points but not enough to win...and covington is a decent team but doesnt have the horses to take down the bulldogs...that being said...everyone else is mush... .500 teams at best and most likely 1 and done in the playoffs...however milan is legit and relevant in 3A...until it comes to alcoa once again...milan cant help that the ppl they play are down this season but thats no reason to get so excited over the opponents theyve played so far...

as far as the grnvll/alcoa matchup...i cant wait...but after reading some of the grnvll posts i actually wana see alcoa run clock on them...grnvll is once again IMO the top team in 4A...but alcoa is the 2nd best team in the state and a whole different animal than anything grnvll has ever seen...

I'm a Milan fan, but agree with your statement about our weak Dist. Thats why you see no Milan threads.

We think our defense is pretty stout, but it remains to be seen.

I give Alcoa all kinds of credit they are definitely a top team in the state every year but for dhs to say that they are a different kind of animal that greeneville has never seen I guess that the maryville and db teams greeneville scrimaged a couple of weeks ago didn't have any talent and since greeneville's coach used to be at maryville I guess he has no clue how good alcoa is.

I give Alcoa all kinds of credit they are definitely a top team in the state every year but for dhs to say that they are a different kind of animal that greeneville has never seen I guess that the maryville and db teams greeneville scrimaged a couple of weeks ago didn't have any talent and since greeneville's coach used to be at maryville I guess he has no clue how good alcoa is.

You do know how long Ballard has been at Greeneville don't you? Alcoa might be a bit better than they were back then. That being said,Ballard will have his team prepared.

Stats alone can be deceptive due to quality of opponent, which defense (1st, 2nd teams) gave up the points, etc.. With that said, CPA's defense has been pretty impressive. Their 1st team defense has only given up 14 points in 3 games and that was to Goodpasture. I would be surprised if anyone else holds GP to 14 until well into the playoffs. The other 14 points CPA gave up against Kenwood was not the starters and the game was already a rout. They then shut out Lexington Christian 51-0.

The three opponents CPA has played to-date have a combined record of 1 Win and 9 Losses. Goodpasture is decent, but probably down a bit this year. They will likely improve as the year progresses. The second half of CPA's schedule will tell more about CPA....starting with Maplewood. CPA will likely enter that game with a 6-0 record.

You do know how long Ballard has been at Greeneville don't you? Alcoa might be a bit better than they were back then. That being said,Ballard will have his team prepared.

I think his point was that Ballard knows exactly what kind of talent Alcoa has. He won’t be surprised by them in that regard. He has been around Maryville's program enough to understand the caliber of athletes that are there, and I’m sure he has watched live games and video of Alcoa at various times. Also, Greeneville has played teams on the level of Alcoa before. Those Maryville teams that we’ve played before weren’t exactly weak teams.

With that said, I’m sure Alcoa will be the best team Greeneville has played in an actual game in a few years. Also, none of that knowledge or experience will mean anything if Greeneville can’t matchup physically with Alcoa. That is why I am looking forward to this game so much, it will tell Greeneville were they really stand. Win or lose, I think some people will be surprised by the Greeneville performance against Alcoa.

The three opponents CPA has played to-date have a combined record of 1 Win and 9 Losses. Goodpasture is decent, but probably down a bit this year. They will likely improve as the year progresses. The second half of CPA's schedule will tell more about CPA....starting with Maplewood. CPA will likely enter that game with a 6-0 record.

I don't disagree with your point and facts about their opponents, but I still contend they have a very good defense for a 3A team - certainly good enough to be a Top 10 team (so far). I also repeat that despite Goodpasture's record, they scored 34 points against the #22 ranked team (all classes) in Kentucky and 45 against Macon County, and CPA holding them to 14 says something about CPA's defense. Get back with me at the end of the year after no one else holds Goodpasture to 14.

I agree that they will have to play good D to beat Maplewood, PC, and DL, but even last year with a 5-6 record, they only gave up an average of 20 points per game to those 3 teams. They are better this year.

scrimmages?.....OK......I'd look at REAL games. I think Greeneville played Maryville in 2008??? How did those animals match up? ;)

I think Greeneville played Maryville in 2008??? How did those animals match up? ;)

I don’t think anyone (including Alcoa) wants to be judged by how well they have done against Maryville over the years. I’m sure I wouldn’t have to dig too hard to find some blowouts in the Maryville versus Alcoa games over the years. No trash talk, just stating facts.