TSSAA response to Signal/Soddy

foozballman

Here is the link to Stephen Hargis's article in the Times Free Press. Enjoy!

Times Free Press

Actions speak louder than words. It is sad that the great athletic and academic success of the school will be tarnished by the continued acceptance of such behavior by a school administration that will not hold coaches and players accountable. If Signal Mountain wanted a reputation, now they have one for sure.

Actions speak louder than words. It is sad that the great athletic and academic success of the school will be tarnished by the continued acceptance of such behavior by a school administration that will not hold coaches and players accountable. If Signal Mountain wanted a reputation, now they have one for sure.

I think our reputation is "the most hated school" No matter what we do. Our coaches didn't do anything wrong with the exception of letting fans stand on the side of the field. This had never been an issue until Soddy started a fight right in front of them. The person involved has been dealt with and the fans will no longer be on the field. What did you people want our administration to do, forfiet the season? Maybe we should give back our State Championship since we clearly did not earn it and then disband our football team for a year or two while the competition catches up. Would that have made you folks happy? By the way, I sure don't remember the uproar two years ago when a Long haired Red headed Soddy Coach came on the field and punched one of Our players. That is when all of this really started. We will settle this on the field.

GO EAGLES!!

I think our reputation is "the most hated school" No matter what we do. Our coaches didn't do anything wrong with the exception of letting fans stand on the side of the field. This had never been an issue until Soddy started a fight right in front of them. The person involved has been dealt with and the fans will no longer be on the field. What did you people want our administration to do, forfiet the season? Maybe we should give back our State Championship since we clearly did not earn it and then disband our football team for a year or two while the competition catches up. Would that have made you folks happy? By the way, I sure don't remember the uproar two years ago when a Long haired Red headed Soddy Coach came on the field and punched one of Our players. That is when all of this really started. We will settle this on the field.

GO EAGLES!!

This situation is one that can not be settled on the field. The schools are each showing to the public what type of program they will run. Championships or loosing records have nothing to do with it. Sportsmanship, Dicipline , and taking responsibility for your actions should be shown by both schools.

Reputations are earned over time and several actions, not just one. I think Signal Mountain can do better.

All of this is rather bazarr. A few questions. Was this a preseason event and are all preseason events in football not played with TSSAA officials or are they not required. The second is where was the scrimmage played and who owns the field. Were the players covered by insurance? and third, who sanctioned the play. The ruling is not consistant although the easy way out. To reprimand a school for not having a penualty hard enough although absolving both schools of any blame and refusing to exact a penaulty fr a preseasn event is a ruling the TSSAA will regret although they may have some prior event to make the decision. What happened to the rule that TSSAA officials are needed in events of that type. Who was checking the heat on the field. Where was the defibbulator? Where is the structure in place that are scattered all over the front page of the TSSAA home page or indeed were officials there gratis. Just didnt want to get involved. if it doesn't matter, all right. Evidently someone doesn't want to learn from this or maybe they have and don't want to pursue it.

This is over with it appears.

Stay CLASSY SD. Their administration handled the situation and their kids will know "right" from "wrong" in future situations.

SM had a SERIOUS LACK OF CONSEQUENCES and apparently let the idiot parent become the "fall guy" in this situation. With outstanding people like Price and McCurry (major sarcasm :roflol: ) in charge I can see why their players and fans have major behavioral issues.

They'll be good on the football field but sometimes life's lessons have to extend far beyond wins and losses.

7/7 are a non-sanctioned event. No officials required. Serious personal liability on the part of the official is they do a nonsanctioned event. This one was hosted/sponsored by Signal on their fields owned by Hamilton County schools. I would assume that players would only be covered by their personal insurance and whatever the school system provides. As to heat index, safety/emt type equipment and personnel, that would not be subject to TSSAA rule and subject to the rule of the school district. My understanding is that 12 teams were participating with no ambulance on premises, just the trainers a school might have.

In my mind, the host school is not accepting responsibility for control of the fans/spectators and safety of the players. How much liability could this open up for the school district itself to have this type of unsanctioned, unsupervised event occurring on their property?

The disparity in the way the 2 different principals handled the discipline is interesting. I would say that invites oversight from a higher authority.

GO EAGLES!!

And there clearly is no attempt by the fans, the coaches or the administration to dispel that reputation; in fact, it appears from here that there is a good bit of pride in that reputation. The disciplinary measures handed down by both administrations speak volumes.

Edited by Chattcity