TSSAA response to Signal/Soddy

foozballman

"I may be naive, but I don't think I am. I honestly do not Signal "recruits". "

Troll, go ahead and count yourself as naive. I know for a fact that Price tried to get at least one student (football, baseball player) from another school to come to Signal Mountain. I am related to him.

Others, be careful on the "recruit" thing especially when dealing with race. Due to "no child left behind" it is perfectly legal for students of certain failing schools to attend Signal Mountain.

Thats one of the main issues at stake is the fact that at most 7 on 7's including this one do not have any referees present. Coaches are in turn calling penalties and the four second rule on their own team as more of an official, unofficial agreement. In this if kids do happen to get out of hand or commit flagarant penalties (or in the case of touch football)fouls, it is is the coach and their staff who disciplines the athelete. Which watching as many games as I did there wasn't much pass interference calls called by any team. The video for this game is posted in this thread. What Signal Mtn fans don't ever comment or acknowledge is that the FIRST incident that happens in this game(and is on video) is their cornerback TACKLES our reciever to the ground. This incident is what gets EVERYTHING else heated. Primarly because the Signal coaching staff does NOTHING to condem this act. Imagine that, Watch the video! I saw other kids get knocked down durring the day due to receivers and db's both going up for the ball, but NEVER saw anyone actually tackle someone. As far as jurisdiction, this is an unsanctioned TSSAA event. If anyone would have jurisdiction or be able to pass out penalties and punishments would be the Hamilton County Department of Education as the event occurred on their property. However these teams are associated with TSSAA and events like these can still be scrutinized and judged by them even if they can't implement suspensions or other punishments.

As of now we are using the court of public opinion. I think we all know how that is going.

I think things started heating up in the first game. I don't know why the guy tackled him, but I honestly don't think it was malicious. Not a hard hit, but did tackle him. You see the same thing in team spring and summer practices. I don't know why somebody "forget" it's non-contact, but it happens. I agree that the game should have been paused at that point and everybody reminded to tone it down.

I'm concerned that the Soddy administration has said that Soddy will not play in any scrimmages or 7 on 7's that don't have officials and security. That will severely limit your options. I'm even more concerned that the T$$AA will promulgate rules and regs for off season scrimmages that will make them cost prohibitive. How do you pay for refs, security, and ambulances if there is no big gate revenue?

One prominent kid ((one)) lived on the Mtn., but wasn't it with the PE teacher? A single female PE teacher? Not implying anything here at all. I don't know the kids situation, nor the PE teacher's. If the kids best intentions were kept in mind...maybe to get him out of a bad situation (home life), then I commend the teacher for her efforts. But one should be able to see how this situation could seem a little skeptical...on multiple fronts. Yes? No? Maybe? You don't have to answer.

Or was it the (one) that over a hushed crowd, a public school coach from Hamilton Co. stood up and yelled "that's my running back!" after the title game. That (one) live on the Mtn. too? Oh...nevermind. You already told me that they all live on the Mtn. My bad.

I don't seem to remember too many African Americans on the team last year. If the % has risen to 30-40%, your coach must have marked a few players off of that Hamilton Co. map he has pinned up behind his desk. The one with all of the schools marked with the number of players he has targeted, but I'm sure you knew that too.

I don't care for you anymore Smeags. You seem to fit the stereotype that has already began to define your program. Nothing is ever your fault. Your Eagles and their coach...which none of his peers respect...can do no wrong. A real sweatervesty and london foggish type. Now come back and tell me where I'm wrong, and that I don't know what I'm talking about. If you want to take the gloves off we can, but just be careful and remember... I may know more than you think. :thumb:

Sorry, my friend, but that's a big swing and a miss.:roflol:

I had some of the same concerns as you regarding the first kid, but when I got to know him, his background, and the entire situation, there was no impropiety. This young man's turnaround in life is a true success story. His academic and athletic accomplishments thrived, and he is currently using his athletic abilities to allow him to pursue a pre-professional undergraduate degree.:thumb:

The second kid's family absolutely moved to Signal and have become active members of the community, even though their son is now in college. They're good people, and we're proud to have them on the mountain.

I've already addressed the alleged "recruiting" and the demographics of the team.

Fight with smeags if you want (I'll sit back and chuckle), but please don't jump on the bandwagon of promulgating falsehoods.

By the way... where's my sweet apple pie? Ya Dang Hoser.:roflolk:

As for the denial and arrogance of our fans, I believe we would rather be discussing the positive, but when everybody only wants to throw rocks at us, it is hard not to get defensive. Once you get defensive, your comments soon start sounding dismissive and arrogant. Everybody has problems in their program, but it seems that the only dirty laundry that gets inspected is Signal's.

I hate discussing race, but the demographics of the community and school vs. that of the football team is a valid topic. In that regard, I don't believe Signal Mountain is that much different than other schools. Many of the best football players are African-American, and it is not uncommon for a football teams demographics to differ from the school as a whole. As to your reference to the starting roster, I believe we have two or maybe three starters that are African-American. As I'm sure you can appreciate, the players on the field at the scrimmages are not necessarily the "starting roster".

I may be naive, but I don't think I am. I honestly do not Signal "recruits". We do have kids who have transfered because they like our program, but I honestly believe it has been entirely on their families' initiative. I know we got a handful of ninth graders who have chosen to attend Signal Mountain High School after finishing Middle School somewhere else. Knowing their backgrounds and options, I can't say I blame them.

I wasn't at the Baylor scrimmage, but I think it turned out to be a close game, not a blowout. (may be wrong) However, I believe some of the animosity between these programs stems from the fact that many kids from the mountain have historically gone to Baylor, some still do, and some transfered. I did hear the other day that only 9% of our elementary school kids are leaving for the privates next year, when that number had traditionally been around 30%. Now that our school is entering its 4th year, hopefully some of that animosity between Signal and the privates will settle down a little.

I have hear several people comment that Massey won't play Signal, but I don't know if that is true or not. I suspect that you will see Baylor and Signal play at some point in the future. This same line of reasoning also applies to Red Bank in my opinion.

Regarding the TC incident, our students were very excited that we had beaten a team the caliber of TC and rushed the field after the game to celebrate with the team (their friends). A little rude and inappropriate? Maybe, but they're just teenagers and honestly didn't know any better. (They do now) The kid in the mascot suit may have been headed to midfield (probly was) but not to "plant the flag" or taunt, just to celebrate. Stupid? Yes, but again, your talking about excited, stupid teenagers.[/ quote]

good post troll. +1

and to clarify, regarding my bringing up of the mascot issue, it's all water under the bridge here in tc and i agree with 99% of your summation of it. i only brought that up to remind smeagle of how "out for justice" he was at that point as opposed to more recent trangressions.

as always, you are signals greatest hope here.:thumb:

Edited by snoball5278

One prominent kid ((one)) lived on the Mtn., but wasn't it with the PE teacher? A single female PE teacher? Not implying anything here at all. I don't know the kids situation, nor the PE teacher's. If the kids best intentions were kept in mind...maybe to get him out of a bad situation (home life), then I commend the teacher for her efforts. But one should be able to see how this situation could seem a little skeptical...on multiple fronts. Yes? No? Maybe? You don't have to answer.

Seven this is how things get started people will take what you said about this kid living with a single PE teacher and run with it. The fact is he was a Foster child the PE teacher isn't and wasn't single when her and her family took him in. She is married to a Chattanooga police officer and they were trying to provide a good kid with a good opportunity. She also has 3 of her own kids so she added him as a 4th child. I have a tremendous amount of respect for them doing this and a tremendous amount of respect for the young man for making something out of the opportunity. Not that this is anyone's business on here but since you wrote it in the manner you did I felt like I had to give details, and frankly it sucks.

you see smeagle, here is a great example of how your mind works. seven asks about a situation that is a bit out of the norm and even disclaims in his own statement that it could very well be legit and if thats the case it's cool by him, but (excuse me if this comes off frankly sucky) you take it as a full-on slap in the face. if you're gonna become so thin-skinned, you should take a look at the manner of some of your own posts. and as always, even when you say something that resembles something that may be on point, you destroy your credibilty by refusing anything could even be questioned when regarding "the footstool of God's thrown", signal mountain, tn. :roflolk:

all of our fun on here aside, congrats to the young man on his success's. :thumb:

Edited by snoball5278

I don't know the kids situation, nor the PE teacher's. If the kids best intentions were kept in mind...maybe to get him out of a bad situation (home life), then I commend the teacher for her efforts. But one should be able to see how this situation could seem a little skeptical...on multiple fronts.

What's so hard to understand about that? I didn't imply anything, other than it could possibly throw up red flags. I've seen similar situations happen in the past. Once again...I commend the teacher and her family for their efforts. I also commend the young man for making the most out of a bad situation, and I wish him nothing but the best at Carson-Newman...correct?

The bottom line is you guys have a loose cannon manning the ship, and apparently nobody in the administration has the stones to hold him accountable for his actions. You all know as well as I do that the way people outside of Signal Mtn. look at you guys, all started way before this fight, or even our little skirmish. Obviously you guys don't really care about your reputation or the reputation of your program. A lot of this public anomosity could have been avoided, though some seem to relish in it. You're not the first team to win it all after only a few years of existance. Check Ravenwood. Nobody is jealous of your success. Its not knowing how to handle the success and the way you go about it is what everybody hates. You are not entitled to jack and Bill Price didn't invent football. Someday maybe you all will figure this out. I just hope for a few people's sake, it's not too late before that happens. He's going to end up costing you guys something. You heard it hear first.

I think things started heating up in the first game. I don't know why the guy tackled him, but I honestly don't think it was malicious. Not a hard hit, but did tackle him. You see the same thing in team spring and summer practices. I don't know why somebody "forget" it's non-contact, but it happens. I agree that the game should have been paused at that point and everybody reminded to tone it down.

I'm concerned that the Soddy administration has said that Soddy will not play in any scrimmages or 7 on 7's that don't have officials and security. That will severely limit your options. I'm even more concerned that the T$$AA will promulgate rules and regs for off season scrimmages that will make them cost prohibitive. How do you pay for refs, security, and ambulances if there is no big gate revenue?

It is unnecessary to have officials at 7 on 7 scrimmages. I was at the Maryville College passing day that consisted of over 32 teams from Middle and East Tennessee. 3 State Champions and several local rivals. There were 7 fields running games at the same time. It was not done in a tournament format. Each field was monitored by a representative from MC who kept time and counted time for the QB. There were some agressive hits that was followed by a quick correction by the coaching staff. The whistles were quick and coaching staffs monitored themselves and focus on getting better not winning or losing. No scores were kept and no champions declared. Boyd Buchanon played that weekend obviously electing not to go to Signal Mountain.

Attended several other passing leaques or passing days and nothing even close to the incident at Signal Mountain.

Before I go into the real reason for my reply let me clarify something for which obviously the BOLD font did not make clear. I said the 30 to 40 percent were STARTERS, not the entire make up of the roster. The no Athelete left behind has not been used to fill roster spots but to aquire ELITE TALENT from other schools. These are the kids that are making the TN allstar roster for Signal!

Now Troll, you really think the corner back 'forgot' it was a two hand touch game. You really believe that. REALLY,.... REALLY..

Have you watched the video tape again, because you really need to. This kid has played the same game all day and just out the blue after he has been beaten twice he "forgets" he is not in full pads and he "forgets" that he hasn't tackled anyone all day. He also must have "forgot" that shoving afterwards was not a friendly "welcome to Signal Mtn". I was under the illusion that all Signal MTN students are Rhode Scholars or at least this is the post from the comments of the Freepress. So how do you suppose he just "forgot". As well, the coaching staff must have also forgotten because they made no attempt to correct the problem.

Wait a minute.. I get it.... the "gentlemen" in the red polo, khaki shorts, and stylish Tevas must have also "forgot" he was PUNCHING KIDS!!!!!!. This all makes sense now and absolutely clarifies everything.

Now as far as the Baylor situation, please feel free to contact anyone you know at Baylor who was witness to the scrimmage. I know you have to know someone from there. We scrimmaged Baylor the very next week after you did, we also have a lot of kids from Soddy Daisy that attend Baylor. This was the first thing mentioned out of anyones mouth that we talked to that day. The real problem is that this does not SUPRISE anyone when the mention of a Principal Price coached team is involved. This happened! Own it!

Troll, you are absolutely one of my favorite posters, but you've got a little smudge of smeagle comming through. You might want to get over to CVS a pick up a little something for that before it spreads.

Before I go into the real reason for my reply let me clarify something for which obviously the BOLD font did not make clear. I said the 30 to 40 percent were STARTERS, not the entire make up of the roster. The no Athelete left behind has not been used to fill roster spots but to aquire ELITE TALENT from other schools. These are the kids that are making the TN allstar roster for Signal!

Now Troll, you really think the corner back 'forgot' it was a two hand touch game. You really believe that. REALLY,.... REALLY..

Have you watched the video tape again, because you really need to. This kid has played the same game all day and just out the blue after he has been beaten twice he "forgets" he is not in full pads and he "forgets" that he hasn't tackled anyone all day. He also must have "forgot" that shoving afterwards was not a friendly "welcome to Signal Mtn". I was under the illusion that all Signal MTN students are Rhode Scholars or at least this is the post from the comments of the Freepress. So how do you suppose he just "forgot". As well, the coaching staff must have also forgotten because they made no attempt to correct the problem.

Wait a minute.. I get it.... the "gentlemen" in the red polo, khaki shorts, and stylish Tevas must have also "forgot" he was PUNCHING KIDS!!!!!!. This all makes sense now and absolutely clarifies everything.

Now as far as the Baylor situation, please feel free to contact anyone you know at Baylor who was witness to the scrimmage. I know you have to know someone from there. We scrimmaged Baylor the very next week after you did, we also have a lot of kids from Soddy Daisy that attend Baylor. This was the first thing mentioned out of anyones mouth that we talked to that day. The real problem is that this does not SUPRISE anyone when the mention of a Principal Price coached team is involved. This happened! Own it!

Troll, you are absolutely one of my favorite posters, but you've got a little smudge of smeagle comming through. You might want to get over to CVS a pick up a little something for that before it spreads.

Foozballman, Can't you find anything else to dwell on. You certainly can't seem to let this go. It's as though trashing Coach Price and Signal Mountain football is your Only agenda. You make it sound as though Soddy Daisy has never been involved in a fight before this incident, but big bad Signal Mountain with their mean old Coach just started beating up on your kids for no reason. When our cornerback tackled your reciever, it was not the first tackle of the day. I witnessed someone getting knocked to the ground in every game that day. It's football buddy. Thats what happens. People get pushed around and sometimes knocked down. But as they say where I play ball, "No Blood, No Foul" You get up, dust yourself off, take the guys number and knock him down next chance you get. You must have never played much football. My bet is your just living vicariously through your kid. By the way was he the one that our cornerback knocked down or the one that went after our reciever after he scored. My bet is he is one of the bench warmers just like his dad probably use to be.

GO EAGLES!!

Maybe I should have put mine in bold so you could see it.:roflol: "two or maybe three of our starters"

That ain't nowhere close to 30-40%:wacko:

I guess forgot was a poor choice of words. You know what I was saying. The guys get caught up in the heat of the moment. It even happens on the practice field among teammates. And don't ignore the rest of my post, where I say that the game should have been paused after that to remind everyone to tone things down.

Earlier, you said, "There is not a true hatred of Bill Price at Soddy, I promise you that.

We have parents that played for Price and they will tell you they have all the respect in the world for him as a coach."

Now you say, "The real problem is that this does not SUPRISE anyone when the mention of a Principal Price coached team is involved." Which is it?:roll:

What's so hard to understand about that? I didn't imply anything, other than it could possibly throw up red flags. I've seen similar situations happen in the past. Once again...I commend the teacher and her family for their efforts. I also commend the young man for making the most out of a bad situation, and I wish him nothing but the best at Carson-Newman...correct?

The bottom line is you guys have a loose cannon manning the ship, and apparently nobody in the administration has the stones to hold him accountable for his actions. You all know as well as I do that the way people outside of Signal Mtn. look at you guys, all started way before this fight, or even our little skirmish. Obviously you guys don't really care about your reputation or the reputation of your program. A lot of this public anomosity could have been avoided, though some seem to relish in it. You're not the first team to win it all after only a few years of existance. Check Ravenwood. Nobody is jealous of your success. Its not knowing how to handle the success and the way you go about it is what everybody hates. You are not entitled to jack and Bill Price didn't invent football. Someday maybe you all will figure this out. I just hope for a few people's sake, it's not too late before that happens. He's going to end up costing you guys something. You heard it hear first.

smiley-char096.gifI nominate Seven for CoachT "King of the Master Baiters". :roflolk: :roflolk: :roflolk:

Edited by MountainTroll