Are teams following the heat guidlines?

Gerry Bertier

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Quarles abides by the rules and will keep his players safe. The reason they are so good has absolutely nothing to do with practicing in extreme heat. If you think practicing in extreme heat makes you a better team please never become a coach.

After 15 minutes of stretching and agilities with the heat index at 105 or above, you will only have about thirty-five to forty minutes of real contact football drills before the brain starts to shut down and whatever you said to the players becomes meaningless. Yes, the human body can acclimate over time but young boys in the first week of full contact with pads will not. Even our best athletes have problems in the heat and the big linemen are effected even quicker. If you can stretch indoors and do some agility work inside, do that, then transition outside for an hour of work if you can.

I would suggest that Coach Quarles and the Rebels will beat 90% of the teams they play.

Coach Quarles abides by the rules and will keep his players safe. The reason they are so good has absolutely nothing to do with practicing in extreme heat. If you think practicing in extreme heat makes you a better team please never become a coach.

What instrument did you play in the school band? It had to be one that you blow.

After 15 minutes of stretching and agilities with the heat index at 105 or above, you will only have about thirty-five to forty minutes of real contact football drills before the brain starts to shut down and whatever you said to the players becomes meaningless. Yes, the human body can acclimate over time but young boys in the first week of full contact with pads will not. Even our best athletes have problems in the heat and the big linemen are effected even quicker. If you can stretch indoors and do some agility work inside, do that, then transition outside for an hour of work if you can.

I would suggest that Coach Quarles and the Rebels will beat 90% of the teams they play.

First, you all have a great program and I meant nothing negative. Secondly, my point is exactly what you admitted, that the body can acclimate over time. The biggest problem today is that the majority of kids are not ready when football starts. If they were out in this and used to it before football starts, we would not be seeing the problems that we see today. The heat should always be respected, water should be unrestricted and breaks every thirty minutes, you don't go out like they used to do when we played and give you three short water breaks during a three hour practice, but you don't cancel practice altogether because of heat. This is just my opinion.

All we ever got was salt tablets and very few water breaks;

BUT,

We did not have air conditioning. In our car or home. We did "work" outside all summer and were very acclimated to the heat. The game is faster and stronger now. I seriously doubt many of the strongest players nowadays could haul four thousand bales a week and survive. It's call adaptation and regulating by heat index is the answer.

Giles is going after dark with limited work. It will definitely hurt us the first few games. :ph34r:

Edited by WiseOldManGiles

I never got on here and claimed to be the smartest person here, but I am smart enough to know that our whole society is the softest that it has ever been. No, I would never want to lose a kid, but to say that it is too hot to practice football is ridiculous. I know you are a genius, but explain to me how you compare playing football to slavery. No one is making these kids play, but if they want to play, then get out of the AC and get your self acclimated to the heat. This is a political rule, instead of giving classes to educate coaches on the best way to handle the heat as far as watering and ice, etc..., just make a rule that says they can't practice. That way TSSAA will never have to worry about some parent trying to sue them because the parent didn't make their kid get out of the house until the first day of practice and he didn't handle the heat very well. I do a little coaching and my kid is one of the ones playing, so I would never want to put him in danger, that is why his butt has been out working and running in the heat all summer long.

As far as it being hotter, the weather has not changed. We may go through some record setting here and there, but by and large the weather is the same as it has always been on average. And the weather we belly ache about up here is nothing compared to where I played, the humidity there was 95%-99% and the heat index was 105-115 everyday from June - September. I would have loved for someone to tell my old football coach that it was too hot to practice football. What a joke!!!!!!

The 102 degree temperature yesterday was a record as was the 114 heat index.

The definition of stupidity is to keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results. I also didn't grow up with conditioned air in my house or vehicles.

And the linemen didn't hardly weigh 200# much less 300+.

heck, I can't even find my kid a hay hauling job. What farmers there are use round balers and they closed all the tobacco barns too. I get it. The kids ARE softer. You are too jake. We'd all get white-eyed on the top tier of a tobacco barn, in the hayfield or practicing football with a 110 heat index because we haven't been acclimated to those conditions for 20 years. Shoot, last night while we were sweatin' in the kitchen at 8:30 from the A/C not keeping up, we loaded up and went to Sonic to get ice cream and then ate it in the air conditioned comfort of our vehicle.

To ignore what we've learned in the last 20-30 years and not do anything about it would be defined as stupid as well. Same for concussions. Same for water breaks. If football coaches have not gotten any smarter over that time frame, thank God the administrators and physicians have.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/high-school/metro-football-coaches-review-1072903.html

Add as far as the old days are concerned:

Uphill 5 miles both ways

And as far as the heat isn't any worse than when we were growing up......

Heat records broken

Edited by ksgovols