Scrimmage - Alcoa at Farragut 8/10

AdmiralGlasgow

I'll be attending the scrimmage tonight at Farragut so hopefully I'll have some worthwhile info to to post later this evening. Can someone tell me whether or not Ezekial Koko was slotted as a starter this season at either RB or LB prior to his injury?

From what i understand he was a starting outside LB, and potential all stater,Alcoa had 3 guys rush for over 1000 last year, he was gonna be back there with Hembrick, so i would say he is a HUGE loss for Alcoa..

My observations......First 10 plays on offence for Alcoa an interception that would have been a Farragut touchdown and later in their 10 plays a fumble that Farragut recovered. No score for Alcoa. In Farragut's 10 plays they drove down inside the 10 and just missed a TD on an out of bounds catch in the end zone.

When they started the regular 4 down scrimmage it was pretty much all Alcoa. Their 2nd play was a long touchdown pass for a TD with no defender in sight. Someone went to sleep. Alcoa scored on their next two possessions with Farragut getting a TD in between. Farragut could not stop Alcoa's offense. It was 21-7 when the 2nd & 3rd teams came in. Farragut scored a 2nd TD when I left. Alcoa looked very good....especially the offence. Farragut's defense, well either Alcoa's offense is that good or.........Farragut looked okay on offense. Their passing will be better than last year and their running game about the same.

My 2 cents...

My observations......First 10 plays on offence for Alcoa an interception that would have been a Farragut touchdown and later in their 10 plays a fumble that Farragut recovered. No score for Alcoa. In Farragut's 10 plays they drove down inside the 10 and just missed a TD on an out of bounds catch in the end zone.

When they started the regular 4 down scrimmage it was pretty much all Alcoa. Their 2nd play was a long touchdown pass for a TD with no defender in sight. Someone went to sleep. Alcoa scored on their next two possessions with Farragut getting a TD in between. Farragut could not stop Alcoa's offense. It was 21-7 when the 2nd & 3rd teams came in. Farragut scored a 2nd TD when I left. Alcoa looked very good....especially the offence. Farragut's defense, well either Alcoa's offense is that good or.........Farragut looked okay on offense. Their passing will be better than last year and their running game about the same.

My 2 cents...

What about the 2nd and frosh teams? Did they play them?

Alcoa's running attack is back. RB#29 is small, shifty, and fast and is a tough runner to bring down. RB#33 is bigger, and very quick as well. FB#44 is a bruiser and an effective lead blocker, but he fumbled a handoff behind the line of scrimmage in the first possession. Alcoa's QB#15 is also a very dangerous runner, especially when he is able to get to the outside. As far as passing goes it looked as if he was having trouble seeing down the field. He was able to connect on a 70 yd TD to #34 partially due to a busted assignment. Alcoa came alive on the ground against the second team defense.

Alcoa's defense was able to squash a less than effective Farragut passing game. The D Line struggled in the middle as Farragut was able to gain possitive yards consistently on the ground. Although Farragut had trouble passing it looked like the Alcoa coaches weren't pleased with something they were seeing out of their secondary.

Farragut's offense is a heavy helping of QB zone reads, end arounds, and off tackle runs. QB#4 had some good runs of 8-10 yards but also made some bad reads in the zone schemes. RB/ATH#14 is a fast runner who finishes his carries surprisingly well. Farragut did not appear to have any down-field threats at receiver, but did complete a 25 yd pass down the middle to TE#34. Their passing game will most likely consist of inside crossing routes to small, speedy receivers. P/PK#17 will be a weapon this season with FGs and punts. His best punt was 48yds and landed inside the 10yd line.

Farragut's defensive front did a good job with run-fits and getting a push up front. The secondary, however, is a glaring weakness at this point. The defense as a whole lacks depth which showed when Alcoa had consecutive runs of 38 (#29) and 32 (#15) yards on a scoring drive.

Edited by AdmiralGlasgow

I have been a Farragut fan for many years. This scrimmage against Alcoa should be a concern for any Farragut football follower. If the team doesn't learn from this and significantly improve they are in for a long season.

The first team defense could not stop Alcoa period. It didn't matter if it was a pass or run.....first down after first down and then touchdown, every time they got the ball. Alcoa's running backs, didn't matter who, ran at will. Farragut's offense was the same as previous years, mainly using the same plays over and over again whether they worked or not. Future teams will know exactly what's coming and can easily adjust.

Even the difference in coaching on the field was apparent. Alcoa's gave animated immediate instruction when a player made a mistake or needed to make an adjustment. I wasn't sure if Farragut's was even there.

If they played a full game the score would have been 49-7 or worse.

"A concerned Farragut fan"

I have been a Farragut fan for many years. This scrimmage against Alcoa should be a concern for any Farragut football follower. If the team doesn't learn from this and significantly improve they are in for a long season.

The first team defense could not stop Alcoa period. It didn't matter if it was a pass or run.....first down after first down and then touchdown, every time they got the ball. Alcoa's running backs, didn't matter who, ran at will. Farragut's offense was the same as previous years, mainly using the same plays over and over again whether they worked or not. Future teams will know exactly what's coming and can easily adjust.

Even the difference in coaching on the field was apparent. Alcoa's gave animated immediate instruction when a player made a mistake or needed to make an adjustment. I wasn't sure if Farragut's was even there.

If they played a full game the score would have been 49-7 or worse.

"A concerned Farragut fan"

Farragut did not look as bad as this post indicates. First team D made several stops early on, but as I said earlier, they have NO depth. And as always, what you see is what you get with Coach Courtney; not much diversity in play calling on offense or defense.

I did not think Farragut look bad either. Pretty solid team. Punter is awesome.

Not sure what "not bad" means. When your defense gives up a TD on all of the other teams possessions, that is "bad" to me. No passing defense at all. Fortunately Alcoa's 1st team had only 3 offensive possessions (3 TD's). Farragut's subs did look better against Alcoa's subs. Kicker, #17, was great! DB next Friday will be more meaningful and really display what level this team can play at. I hope I am wrong in my interpretation.