Union City @ Obion Co. Central

The Rutland injury changes things...It's hard enough to learn the reads and steps that you have to to run the veer over a summer but now with Shanks (converted lineman) having to learn it basically overnight, that's tough...Does anybody know, I guess Shanks was the back-up @ QB anyway or is he starting from scratch ??...

OC's question mark is going to be their line...They are very big but young...They have as good a set of skill position players as anyone in this area...They didn't play their starters in the CC jamboree against Humboldt,yet still tied...Coach Jackson wasn't even at the game...He was in Huntingdon scouting Union City...So, they have a little bit of depth...Another concern is their defense...I hear they will use some of their best athletes on both sides of the ball...That will help...This team averaged 33 points over an eleven game season last season and finished 5-6...Defense was a major problem last season and HAS to be improved if the Rebels want to advance in the state playoffs...

If OC goes after UC's secondary all out and then hit them with Fair and the running game, it could be a blow-out...If OC uses the same game plan they used last year, trying to control the clock with their run game, they could actually keep UC in the game, as they did last season (19-14 OC win)...

I was going to predict a 33-13 OC win before the Rutland injury came to light...I'll keep it there but it could be worse...

Nice post!!!!!!!!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rutland injury changes things...It's hard enough to learn the reads and steps that you have to to run the veer over a summer but now with Shanks (converted lineman) having to learn it basically overnight, that's tough...Does anybody know, I guess Shanks was the back-up @ QB anyway or is he starting from scratch ??...

OC's question mark is going to be their line...They are very big but young...They have as good a set of skill position players as anyone in this area...They didn't play their starters in the CC jamboree against Humboldt,yet still tied...Coach Jackson wasn't even at the game...He was in Huntingdon scouting Union City...So, they have a little bit of depth...Another concern is their defense...I hear they will use some of their best athletes on both sides of the ball...That will help...This team averaged 33 points over an eleven game season last season and finished 5-6...Defense was a major problem last season and HAS to be improved if the Rebels want to advance in the state playoffs...

If OC goes after UC's secondary all out and then hit them with Fair and the running game, it could be a blow-out...If OC uses the same game plan they used last year, trying to control the clock with their run game, they could actually keep UC in the game, as they did last season (19-14 OC win)...

I was going to predict a 33-13 OC win before the Rutland injury came to light...I'll keep it there but it could be worse...

Humboldt only started their freshmen to! :roflol:

Union city in a romp. 31 to 13. The physical play will surprise the big county school. Veer isn't that hard to learn for a quarterback as long as you keep it simple and have a big fullback. As long as UC fixes their pass defense, they will be fine. Scrimmages and jamborees are not accurate measuring sticks. Bowlin is hiding a few of his guns. Can't stand UC, but it wasn't like last years qb was a great runner. Give it to the big kid and keep it close and in the second half the dam will break.

Union city in a romp. 31 to 13. The physical play will surprise the big county school. Veer isn't that hard to learn for a quarterback as long as you keep it simple and have a big fullback. As long as UC fixes their pass defense, they will be fine. Scrimmages and jamborees are not accurate measuring sticks. Bowlin is hiding a few of his guns. Can't stand UC, but it wasn't like last years qb was a great runner. Give it to the big kid and keep it close and in the second half the dam will break.

Thats wild if your serious about that score i will take that bet!!!!! Heck i was thinking i was gonna haft to give at least 24pts to even get a wager on the game. I say OC by at least 28pts on a bad night.

Union City will have four days to get things worked out. They will also get a report on Rutland but expect the worse and hope for the best. At best, Rutland could go back to his old position ( Receiver ) and Union City could even move the transfer Lewis into the Q B position. No matter what, the Rebels have more at stake in this one. They should win by a wide magin by numbers but that has never been a problem with Union City owning the wins between the two. Central has what it takes to win and Jackson is the man with the plan. If Union City's "D" can step up...the Rebels not being crisp on their pass plays....the passing game could end up in the favor of Union City with turnovers. No matter what, this game is all about $$$$ and that is it!!! Th Rebels will compete in their district but once that is over and done with...so will their season. Just look at last year. The TSSAA is also watching for cheap shots. This is a problem they had last year and one that in the refs meeting prioe to the season was brought up. If Union City has a chance...should be now. They will out condition the Rebels during the game and if the Tornadoes can keep the score close going into the 4th quarter....look out. This game has come a long way and thanks to Union City's coach Darren Bowling for getting the Rebels programs going into the right direction during his tinure there. Use to...this was never a question on who was going to win but how bad it was going to be. This now always goes into the game as a toss up...far from just a few yrs ago. With Union City's numbers on the teams down...it has helped make a difference in favor of the Rebels. There seems to be a hump the Rebels always have a problem with and they are on top of the hump now...to fall off the other side and roll on, the Rebels have to make it at least to the 3rd round of the playoffs come November...we will see on that one. They are just one to two wins away from gaining respect from ALL schools in the west but until they do, the Rebels will always be known as ....well ???? Good Luck to both teams during this game and afterwards. We want both teams to go far into the playoffs each year. That could be one of the best things to happen to our county and city.

Edited by UCGRAD

There is no way in the world you can discount Chase Bowling's experience running that offense...He was running it at Lake Road and to top it off he was living with the coach... :roflol: ...It is going to be hard to just step in after four or five days of preparation and not have a multitude of bad QB/center exchanges and bad QB to S-back exchanges, not to mention wrong reads...I have to believe coach Jackson will throw the kitchen sink at the young QB from UC....

Bowling wasn't that great of a runner but he was in command of the offense...He didn't have to think about every little step he made...He was confident...That makes a world of difference...

Union City will have four days to get things worked out. They will also get a report on Rutland but expect the worse and hope for the best. At best, Rutland could go back to his old position ( Receiver ) and Union City could even move the transfer Lewis into the Q B position. No matter what, the Rebels have more at stake in this one. They should win by a wide magin by numbers but that has never been a problem with Union City owning the wins between the two. Central has what it takes to win and Jackson is the man with the plan. If Union City's "D" can step up...the Rebels not being crisp on their pass plays....the passing game could end up in the favor of Union City with turnovers. No matter what, this game is all about $$$$ and that is it!!! Th Rebels will compete in their district but once that is over and done with...so will their season. Just look at last year. The TSSAA is also watching for cheap shots. This is a problem they had last year and one that in the refs meeting prioe to the season was brought up. If Union City has a chance...should be now. They will out condition the Rebels during the game and if the Tornadoes can keep the score close going into the 4th quarter....look out. This game has come a long way and thanks to Union City's coach Darren Bowling for getting the Rebels programs going into the right direction during his tinure there. Use to...this was never a question on who was going to win but how bad it was going to be. This now always goes into the game as a toss up...far from just a few yrs ago. With Union City's numbers on the teams down...it has helped make a difference in favor of the Rebels. There seems to be a hump the Rebels always have a problem with and they are on top of the hump now...to fall off the other side and roll on, the Rebels have to make it at least to the 3rd round of the playoffs come November...we will see on that one. They are just one to two wins away from gaining respect from ALL schools in the west but until they do, the Rebels will always be known as ....well ???? Good Luck to both teams during this game and afterwards. We want both teams to go far into the playoffs each year. That could be one of the best things to happen to our county and city.

You made some very good points in this post...I was wondering myself about why they wouldn't move Lewis into the QB position...Was Shanks the back-up to Rutland anyway ???...I have been saying since UC moved down to 1A that this is a lose-lose game for OC...If they win, they should because they are almost three times UC's size and if they lose, it's how can you let a 1A team beat you...Gate money...It's the biggest home game on both program's schedule...Not real sure UC will out-condition OC...I've got kids that played for both coaches...Both coaches really push the off-season conditioning program...I know UC has to be in top shape because they are so low in numbers but OC has more players and they are in really good shape as well...They can throw more numbers at UC...Your last point is nail on the head...With everything that has happened in our community the last few months a good run in the play-offs would really be a lift..

Back to Shanks...If anyone can do this he can...He certainly has a strong football pedigree and I'm sure he has a very good grasp on the game...

Edited by Purple & Gold Standard

Saying that veer is not hard to learn as a QB is totally false. Few offenses are predicated on a QB's timing and ability to make proper reads as the Veer. Footwork, timing with the backs and mesh points are all the responsibility of the QB, not to mention the passing game. In a pro style offense, from a mental stand point the QB gets to take plays off mentally on predetermined hand offs. Not the case in the veer. They also have to recognized the defense to determine not only the mess points but, whether inside or outside veer is the best option based on the alignment. I am just saying.

Edited by dcballas