Polk County at Bradley Central

baconbreath

The Bears and Wildcats kick off the season again this Friday in week 0 for the third consecutive year. The Bears return a lot of offense but lost a lot on defense while Polk County also lost on both sides of the ball. It should be a great crowd in what is quickly becoming a great old, but recently renewed rivalry. Good luck to both teams and may we have an injury free game and please Lord let this heat break before Friday!!!

Here are some fast and fun facts about this series--

1) The Bears lead the series 23-7-1.

2) The first game ever betewen these two came in 1917 (13-12 Polk County wins) in what was Bear legend Jimmie Lovell's first game ever as head coach at BCHS.

3) Polk County coach Derrick Davis is 86-38 (69.4%) entering his 12th season at PCHS.

4) Coach Damon Floyd is 25-27 (48.1%) entering his 6th season at BCHS.

5) The Bears won 14 games in a row in this series at one time with Polk County breaking the streak in 2009, 20-13 at BCHS. The Bears won last year at Polk County, 26-16 handing the Wildcats their only loss until they fell to CAK in the 2nd round of the state playoffs.

6) Largest Bear win was 52-0 in 1941. Polk's biggest win was 20-6 in 1938.

7) The Bears returned to the playoffs in 2010 after missing them for 9 consecutive years.

8) Polk County has been to the 3A playoffs for 10 consecutive years under Davis, missing only in 2000, his first year as head coach. Derrick replaced his dad Larry who is still on staff as an assistant.

Good luck to both teams!

Edited by baconbreath
  • Upvote 1

This will be a tough game for my Wildcats. Bradley can light up the scoreboard.

Might indeed be a high-scoring affair. The Bradley defense has had some trouble this pre-season stopping the run and Polk can run it with the very best of them. The Bradley offense is going to be slinging the rock all over the place. Never underestimate a Derrick Davis coached defenses but Bradley has got great playmakers on offense. Bears 41 Wildcats 30

Edited by Old Warhorse

The score will be no where near that high. Polk loses, 13-20

Wow... right now I'd set the O/U over 50 in this game.

Neither team seems to have an amazing defense, but Bradley does have one of the best in the state at each of the offensive skill positions and a Tennessee commitment at OT.

I'd take it anyday @ 50 and just because you have size doesn't make you a great tackle. Look at the Haynes kid from the late 90's at Polk. He was like 6'8" 365 lbs. of stumbling bumbling poo. Polk will find a way to make it competitive and it will be close like I predicted.

[/quo

Early in the season anything can happen, Polk likes to pound and ground but early last year had trouble with turnovers,Bradley has to replace alot of defensive leaders, getting to 50 might be hard but if either team turns it over much it could be a blowout. As far as having size on the line in high school doesn't matter much, but UT doesn't usually offer juniors scholarships if they can't play, the big kid at Walker Valley 2 yrs ago didn't look like much at first but started at least 4 games at Ole Miss last yr as a freshmen.

I'd take it anyday @ 50 and just because you have size doesn't make you a great tackle. Look at the Haynes kid from the late 90's at Polk. He was like 6'8" 365 lbs. of stumbling bumbling poo. Polk will find a way to make it competitive and it will be close like I predicted.

This kid is going to the southeastern conference. You can bet your #### he will be able to move. I was at the polk-loudon playoff game a couple years back and their big tackles dominated the line of scrimmage. Could be much of the same against Bradley. I don't know polk personnel on the D-line, but they will have a tough night. I wish the polk boys well but Bradley wins this one.

Edited by smokinote