How to Tackle....

Lost Old Dad

is it NOT being taught anymore? I ask as during the last 3 or 4 years I have seen so much of the matadors trying to do their ole' type arm tackling. I am beginning to think no one actually knows how to teach these kids how to stick someone and drive them down.

About the only really decent tackles I have seen was the tackles of the Patton brothers at Blackman. For some reason I think this was taught at home rather by the coaches as the other players don't seem to know how.

This is not just a local problem, but one I am seeing at every level across the state. Are we raising a generation of 'timid' players or what? <_<

is it NOT being taught anymore? I ask as during the last 3 or 4 years I have seen so much of the matadors trying to do their ole' type arm tackling. I am beginning to think no one actually knows how to teach these kids how to stick someone and drive them down.

About the only really decent tackles I have seen was the tackles of the Patton brothers at Blackman. For some reason I think this was taught at home rather by the coaches as the other players don't seem to know how.

This is not just a local problem, but one I am seeing at every level across the state. Are we raising a generation of 'timid' players or what? <_<

I would say that coaches are teaching how to tackle; Shoot your arms, clamp on behind their back, and double time your feet and drive them back. Kids these days are just becoming softer is all!

D2-AA still tackles pretty well......

Tackling, blocking and stance should be taught as the 3 most basic fundamentals beginning at the rec league level. Tackling properly takes time, patience and repetition (years) to properly teach it. But if it is taught properly at an early age it should carry along with the player their entire career. If poor habits are allowed to develop early in the players career then it will be more difficult to teach them how to tackle. Too many kids and coaches watch ESPN Top Hits of the Day and think that is the way you are suppose to tackle. Those hits are maybe 1 out of ?? of the tackles that are made. See what you hit, get your head across and try to use your shoulder pads as much as possible and your helmet as little as possible, wrap up and grab cloth, don't drop to your knees, and run through the ball carrier. You have to know when to hit high and when to hit low. Also, stretching your arms out horizontally from the body is a good way to get a separated shoulder. Tackling should be taught at every practice for all ages. I always found angle tackling drills to be the least punishing and the safest. Body position and angle of attack also are skills that take experience to develop but are important as the level of play increases. But tackling must be taught, correctly and repetitiously.

I couldn't agree more. Our school does not practice full speed, all the way to the ground tackling. We hit and wrap up and that's it. Coach's philosophy is that by the time they get to the high school level they should know how to tackle. Problem is many of them don't. The kids that played rec league and middle school ball at least got the fundamentals and can tackle better. Unfortunately there are a lot good athletes that don't play football until their freshmen year and they never get a chance to learn the basics. Also the kids that can tackle need to continually work on the fundamentals to avoid picking up bad habits. The skill of tackling is defintely on the downhill slide in HS football and many kids have no idea what a form tackle is!

Over the last 15 years the limitations on tackling has changed football. You can't use the facemask or helmet in the tackling technique. It does require more fundamental drills to perfect but it doesn't have to be full speed at the HS level. Most HS drills are done at 3/4 speed. You are teaching and developing motor skills. It can be built into a weekly practice schedule using a combination of one man sleds, Tackling dummies and 3/4 speed angle tackle drills.

What drives me nuts is watching the "laying on of hands" attempt at tackling. A defender may not be in the best position to execute a text book tackle on a ball carrier, but if he can get a hand on the guy he should be able to grab cloth - then either the cloth will rip off the guy or the guy will slow down. Giving him a quick rubdown won't do squat.