where does Raquis Hale fit in the list of all time running backs at S.P.

RoyDJ

most people haven't been properly educated to blocking terminology. in the world of well coached blocking, cut blocking is; cutting off a gap by being able to reach around a man that is shading your play side gap and blocking on the hip as all blocks should be, i.e. cutting off the gap. not to be confused with a "reach block" which is blocking a defender that's an entire man over, if not more. a chop is going into the knee's whether intentionally or unintentionally. it's not terminology that changes the block, it's head and shoulder placement that changes the terminology. being i was taught this by one of the most successfull coaches in state history and at one of the most decorated programs in the state, i'll stick by it. :thumb:

btw, when was the last time you heard a ref say, "15 yd penalty for cut blocking."? odds are it was "15 yard penalty for chop block." :D

I garuntee you I agree Snoball. I have also never heard a umpire say 15 yard penalty for a side body block eiher. You think im joking but im not.

• Upvote 1

Shawn Vaughn would hands down have been our best running back in '99, but he broke his neck...maybe before the season ever started. He probably had the most rushing yards anginst you guys in '98, besides Payne that is. Vaughn was a hard nosed runner, and he had a above average speed. Don't know how much a difference he would have made in the '99 South Pitt game, but it definitely would have helped. What hurt that team more than losing him was playing Hazelwood Alabama. They physically beat us up that night...bad! How we won that game being down 24-0 at the half is beyond me. Easily one of Clint's best coaching performances, but it cost us down the road.

If u ask guys off that 99 team they Swear that Thomas Payne wouldn't even had made a difference that year with the defense they ran...Also claims Sanders was harder runner to bring down than Payne...I'm not buying it...Vaughn was good #40...Sad story that happened to him...I thought he was better than Harper...He probably would've made a difference in 99 just don't tell anyone from the 99 team...Most think they had the best team ever just because they had 20 Seniors and played 2 2 Time defending state champs and the Alabama State Champ that same season blah blah blah....We will never know but in my opinion records and stats back up teams...Look at best teams and compare what they did to their opponents and the stats from that year...We led state in scoring and had 3 backs rush for over a 1000 yards and a 2000 yard runner that signed with Vols...2 Mr Football Finalist as well...How many teams can only say that Charles Beene wouldn't have been good enough to start someone for them?!? Exactly....and it will continue on the older we get with the more younger teams that win it all...Debate will always b there

If u ask guys off that 99 team they Swear that Thomas Payne wouldn't even had made a difference that year with the defense they ran...Also claims Sanders was harder runner to bring down than Payne...I'm not buying it...Vaughn was good #40...Sad story that happened to him...I thought he was better than Harper...He probably would've made a difference in 99 just don't tell anyone from the 99 team...Most think they had the best team ever just because they had 20 Seniors and played 2 2 Time defending state champs and the Alabama State Champ that same season blah blah blah....We will never know but in my opinion records and stats back up teams...Look at best teams and compare what they did to their opponents and the stats from that year...We led state in scoring and had 3 backs rush for over a 1000 yards and a 2000 yard runner that signed with Vols...2 Mr Football Finalist as well...How many teams can only say that Charles Beene wouldn't have been good enough to start someone for them?!? Exactly....and it will continue on the older we get with the more younger teams that win it all...Debate will always b there

Interesting! Nothing against Sanders, but he was no Payne, especially when it came to running the football. Now he was a better defensive player than Payne, by far. Vaughn was a better runner than Harper. He just brought more to the table than Doc did...size, speed, and strength.

I agree with the stats and facts! And if your '98 team played the '99 team, '98 would beat the living dog crap out of them. Same thing I tell our '98 team. '97 would have smoked that arse. Just my opinion. I would dare to say that the teams we are talking about would beat the following year's team by 2-4 touchdowns. I'm fairly confident ours would have. That is unless '98 Payne had a game like he did against you guys...jk. ;):D

You are right, most people arent eduacted on proper blocking terminology. I agree with everyone else in this post except you and your s.p brothers. Does that make us right and you wrong? No it doesnt. Its all dependent on what terminolgy your coach used. Most would not call what you are refering to as cut blocking. You are coming across as very arrogant and you arent looking at the facts. Do you think because a coach in little south pittsburgh tn calls that cut blocking that thats what it is? Really? Well I played at Cleveland and can assure you my teams were way better than yours. In fact I just took a poll with some guys I worked with. I think their credentials are a little better than yours as well. One was an offensive tackle on red banks state championship team, he played two years at a major sec school, he played five years of arena and semi pro ball, one was a tight end at Utc, one played safety at Samford and one was an all state lineman at McCallie in the late 80's. They all agreed with me and so does the rule book. I guess because you dont agree and your coach called it something different you are smarter and better coached than all of them and their coaches and the rule book? Like everyone has said above, it all depends on your terminology and you were right some poeple arent up to speed on correct terminolgy and that person is you. Chop blocking is a penalty and cut blocking is not. when I get a chance i will copy it straight out of the rule book for you.

Well why don't you go back to Cleveland and coach then. Somebody needs to build that program back up. What have they done since the early-mid '90's, assuming that's when you played? Sounds like you've got a pretty good staff already in place. Should make for an easy transition!

You are right, most people arent eduacted on proper blocking terminology. I agree with everyone else in this post except you and your s.p brothers. Does that make us right and you wrong? No it doesnt. Its all dependent on what terminolgy your coach used. Most would not call what you are refering to as cut blocking. You are coming across as very arrogant and you arent looking at the facts. Do you think because a coach in little south pittsburgh tn calls that cut blocking that thats what it is? Really? Well I played at Cleveland and can assure you my teams were way better than yours. In fact I just took a poll with some guys I worked with. I think their credentials are a little better than yours as well. One was an offensive tackle on red banks state championship team, he played two years at a major sec school, he played five years of arena and semi pro ball, one was a tight end at Utc, one played safety at Samford and one was an all state lineman at McCallie in the late 80's. They all agreed with me and so does the rule book. I guess because you dont agree and your coach called it something different you are smarter and better coached than all of them and their coaches and the rule book? Like everyone has said above, it all depends on your terminology and you were right some poeple arent up to speed on correct terminolgy and that person is you. Chop blocking is a penalty and cut blocking is not. when I get a chance i will copy it straight out of the rule book for you.

you should have stopped after the the first 3 words you posted. :roflolk:

arrogance? listen to you! but hey, i'll play your game. first of all i'm from trousdale. and you want arrogant well here goes. cleveland? yeah they were great for 4 years and that was it. at least i've actually got something to be consistantly arrogant about. i'll see that red bank state championship and raise you my two, then i'll see your all state lineman and raise you a two time mr. football lineman, that says i'm right. i'll see your utc tightend/semi pro and raise him another mr. football lineman winner and ovc defensive player of the year that made all but the final cut with the steelers that says i'm right. then i'll see your stamford fellow and raise him a four year starter from the naval academy that says i'm right. :rolleyes:

chop blocking is a penalty, i've never disputed that. proper cut blocking only goes below the waist when it's done by a piss poor blocker that hasn't been coached correctly and then it becomes a chop block. the reason cut blocking gets a bad name is because poorly coached lineman make it look like crap and get called for chopping. there is no grey area between a legal cut block and an illegally chop block, it's one or the other. it's only been written in a language by legal folks that confuses the masses. again ask all those great minds you polled and ask them if they ever heard of a ref saying, "15 yard penalty for cut blocking" or was it "15 yard penalty for chop blocking. :thumb:

• Upvote 1

THAT 1999 TC VS SP GAME WAS A TOUGH GAME FOR SOUTH PITTSBURG, BUT ON THE TOPIC ON MR. FOOTBALL FINALIST SP HAD A LINEMAN FINALIST ALSO TC HAD ONE AND THEY WENT AT IT HEAD TO HEAD ALL NIGHT AND IN THE END WE ALL KNOW AFTER THAT GAME THE MAN THAT WON THE MR. FOOTBALL LINEMAN WAS THE TRUR MR.FOOTBALL LINEMAN

Edited by CaptainHook99

You still miss the point. but hey, we are getting a good laugh anyway. You and I agree cut blocking is legal and chop blocking is not so I dont know why you keep bringing up " what the ref calls on penalties". Nor am I comparing any schools traditions but since you brought it up and since you are so right and your coaches so great and because you won some single a state championships then your coaches terminology is correct and all the other great coaches terminology is wrong. Ba ha ha. Trousdale coaches know more than Cleveland, mccallie, Ut, Alabama, Dallas Cowboys and everyone else correct? Here is a link to a Nick saban article about cut blocking. Sounds like he too considers cut blocking the same thing I do maybe you shuld tell him he is also wrong anhttp://blog.al.com/tide-source/2009/10/neither_saban_nor_mike_johnson.html

d you are right because you are from Trousdale. lol. heck we all tried to be nice and say, "everyone uses different terminology" instead of saying you are wrong but that wasnt good enough for you. You had to continue to correct us on your terminology because you are from Trousdale and that makes your football terminology right and everyone elses wrong.I will say this you are single a, always have been and always will be. When we are bad we are still better than you. I wouldnt even know who Trousdale was if it wasnt for coacht. Everyone in my office rolled their eyes when they saw you were single a and actually laughed. Your cooment about a cut block becoming a chop block when it goes below the waist is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. What are you even talking about? A cut block is any block below the waist. A chop block is when you engage a defensive player high and then your teamate hits him low (which is illegal). As far as the players you all names again you missed the point. I wasnt naming people from my school and their credentials. I was naming the people here at my work who read your posts and disagree. Ibrought up their schools and accomploshments so that you would see that they are all from different backgrounds and none agree with you. Of course all the people from your school would agree with you because they were all taught the same way. Now is your way wrong? Doesnt really matter because different coaches use different terminolgy but you took the high road and informed all of us we were wrong and you are a genius. NOT!

Ok...I don't give a rats arse about the terminology of some stupid blocking scheme, but I'll be dammed if someone from Cleveland is going to come in here and bash my program. Newsflash Bradley....Monroe and Tipton aren't walking through those doors anymore. Cleveland sucks! Oh, I'm sure they could beat both of us and SP, but hey...we play schools that are the same relative size as us, just like you do. Only difference is, we have something to show for it. Why don't you randomly draw out about 300 of your students, both girls and boys, then field a team and come get some...us or South Pitt.

Oh and genius...we don't play in 1A. We have in the past, and we may again in the future. We have two 2A titles, one when it was just three classes, six 1A titles and two 3A semi final apperances in '01 and'02. You may only know about Trousdale because of coacht. Well the only way anybody knows anything about Cleveland outside of your region, is if they are over 30 years old. Most of your players probably weren't even born when Cleveland was making there short run. A model of consistancy over the last 20 years, I tell you. Why are you even over here reading about these inferior teams?

Edited by SEVEN
  • Upvote 1

you should have stopped after the the first 3 words you posted. :roflolk:

arrogance? listen to you! but hey, i'll play your game. first of all i'm from trousdale. and you want arrogant well here goes. cleveland? yeah they were great for 4 years and that was it. at least i've actually got something to be consistantly arrogant about. i'll see that red bank state championship and raise you my two, then i'll see your all state lineman and raise you a two time mr. football lineman, that says i'm right. i'll see your utc tightend/semi pro and raise him another mr. football lineman winner and ovc defensive player of the year that made all but the final cut with the steelers that says i'm right. then i'll see your stamford fellow and raise him a four year starter from the naval academy that says i'm right. :rolleyes:

chop blocking is a penalty, i've never disputed that. proper cut blocking only goes below the waist when it's done by a piss poor blocker that hasn't been coached correctly and then it becomes a chop block. the reason cut blocking gets a bad name is because poorly coached lineman make it look like crap and get called for chopping. there is no grey area between a legal cut block and an illegally chop block, it's one or the other. it's only been written in a language by legal folks that confuses the masses. again ask all those great minds you polled and ask them if they ever heard of a ref saying, "15 yard penalty for cut blocking" or was it "15 yard penalty for chop blocking. :thumb:

I gave you -1 by accident. Ill find somebody to straighten this mess out! :lol:

You still miss the point. but hey, we are getting a good laugh anyway. You and I agree cut blocking is legal and chop blocking is not so I dont know why you keep bringing up " what the ref calls on penalties". Nor am I comparing any schools traditions but since you brought it up and since you are so right and your coaches so great and because you won some single a state championships then your coaches terminology is correct and all the other great coaches terminology is wrong. Ba ha ha. Trousdale coaches know more than Cleveland, mccallie, Ut, Alabama, Dallas Cowboys and everyone else correct? Here is a link to a Nick saban article about cut blocking. Sounds like he too considers cut blocking the same thing I do maybe you shuld tell him he is also wrong anhttp://blog.al.com/tide-source/2009/10/neither_saban_nor_mike_johnson.html

d you are right because you are from Trousdale. lol. heck we all tried to be nice and say, "everyone uses different terminology" instead of saying you are wrong but that wasnt good enough for you. You had to continue to correct us on your terminology because you are from Trousdale and that makes your football terminology right and everyone elses wrong.I will say this you are single a, always have been and always will be. When we are bad we are still better than you. I wouldnt even know who Trousdale was if it wasnt for coacht. Everyone in my office rolled their eyes when they saw you were single a and actually laughed. Your cooment about a cut block becoming a chop block when it goes below the waist is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. What are you even talking about? A cut block is any block below the waist. A chop block is when you engage a defensive player high and then your teamate hits him low (which is illegal). As far as the players you all names again you missed the point. I wasnt naming people from my school and their credentials. I was naming the people here at my work who read your posts and disagree. Ibrought up their schools and accomploshments so that you would see that they are all from different backgrounds and none agree with you. Of course all the people from your school would agree with you because they were all taught the same way. Now is your way wrong? Doesnt really matter because different coaches use different terminolgy but you took the high road and informed all of us we were wrong and you are a genius. NOT!

ok, where to start... first and for most i will say that nick saban is a well documented liar and anyone from lsu will back that up. :roflolk: we were never taught to block in people legs, i don't know why anyone would be told to block in someones legs unless it was just shady coaching or playing. when we were told to cut block, as with any other block, we blocked on the hip the right way. no matter what you do or don't call it that's how we did/do it.

as for trousdale, we hold championships from single A when their was just 3 classes we may hold a AA from when it was 3 classes and a couple of runner ups. we hold 4 A titles from when it was just 5 classes, we hold a AA championship from 09. we made it to the semi finals 2/4 years when we were in 3a. so that great line about "you are single A, always have been always will be." is by far the most ignorant statement from our conversation. and that old rehashed argument of "we are bigger there fore better" is foolish and dumbfounded. we play teams with the same enrollments because that's how it's set up. take 30 players chosen randomly(not their 30 best athletes) from any team you named good year or bad and they'll be in a dog fight with an average south pittsburg or an average trousdale team. and those schools will probably the underdogs because, as evident by our 20 plus years of consistant winning, we are better coached. :thumb:

that "NOT" statement you tacked on there at the end made everyone that reads this site roll there eyes. :rolleyes::roflolk:

Edited by snoball5278