MBA defense

Letitsnow

MBA has just completed perhaps the worst two weeks of football in school history comparable to the losses a couple of years ago to Ensworth and then BGA at Homecoming. I'm not sure those were back to back losses however..

Last night's first half was worse than the Trinity game the week before. BA closed shop in the second half and pretty much stuck to the ground game or it would have been MUCH worse. Losing fs and wr Blackwell hurt but not this much.

I've watched the Big Red for many years and don't think I have ever seen a weaker DL, a poorer scheme, a more helpless secondary, and in general a horrible D. MBA wants to sit back and try to match speed for speed. There is no push up front, no penetration, no pressure on the qb or in the backfield. The results are agonizingly predictable. Very poor strategy and perhaps poor personnel though the consensus was the MBA would be significantly improved this year. Not sure they have the right people in the right places yet. John Bachmann will set a school record for tackles at the rate he's going, and he's the strong safety. Not good.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MBA has just completed perhaps the worst two weeks of football in school history comparable to the losses a couple of years ago to Ensworth and then BGA at Homecoming. I'm not sure those were back to back losses however..

Last night's first half was worse than the Trinity game the week before. BA closed shop in the second half and pretty much stuck to the ground game or it would have been MUCH worse. Losing fs and wr Blackwell hurt but not this much.

I've watched the Big Red for many years and don't think I have ever seen a weaker DL, a poorer scheme, a more helpless secondary, and in general a horrible D. MBA wants to sit back and try to match speed for speed. There is no push up front, no penetration, no pressure on the qb or in the backfield. The results are agonizingly predictable. Very poor strategy and perhaps poor personnel though the consensus was the MBA would be significantly improved this year. Not sure they have the right people in the right places yet. John Bachmann will set a school record for tackles at the rate he's going, and he's the strong safety. Not good.

I agree with you...it was easily the worst MBA performance I have ever seen. It's hard to single any one particular thing out, when everything was equally bad. BA ran between the tackles with ease. BA ran to the edge with ease. BA had wide open receivers, and the QB faced no pressure at all. The only thing that momentarily slowed them down in the 1st half was two holding penalties.

I agree with you...it was easily the worst MBA performance I have ever seen. It's hard to single any one particular thing out, when everything was equally bad. BA ran between the tackles with ease. BA ran to the edge with ease. BA had wide open receivers, and the QB faced no pressure at all. The only thing that momentarily slowed them down in the 1st half was two holding penalties.

Chris Chauvin was the RB and DB coach at BGA and even called the offense for their JV last year. Why is he the D coordinator?

Chris Chauvin was the RB and DB coach at BGA and even called the offense for their JV last year. Why is he the D coordinator?

Warning…this is a frustration post….why is anyone surprised that the MBA football team is off to a poor start 1-3 and has surrendered a school-record 150 points and 1500 yards in 3 games? Despite having more talent than in recent years, the D is sloppy, not prepared, and looks like they don’t know what to do. We are 4 games into the season and our opponents are even calling us out in the newspaper.

Let’s go old-school and stop trying to do what you saw in the last game on TV. Run a base fifty defense and learn what to do. This will give our playmakers a chance to tackle.

Warning…this is a frustration post….why is anyone surprised that the MBA football team is off to a poor start 1-3 and has surrendered a school-record 150 points and 1500 yards in 3 games? Despite having more talent than in recent years, the D is sloppy, not prepared, and looks like they don’t know what to do. We are 4 games into the season and our opponents are even calling us out in the newspaper.

Let’s go old-school and stop trying to do what you saw in the last game on TV. Run a base fifty defense and learn what to do. This will give our playmakers a chance to tackle.

Another first post to talk bad about the coach! Congratulations. Do you feel better about yourself now? I can assure you that we all know Coach Euverard very well and in no way is he watching something on TV and running what he saw. He will do a good job if allowed to. Despite having more talent than in recent years? So, you must be a huge fan that has seen MBA many times. Why come on here and try to belittle a coach if you are such a fan? Sounds like sour grapes to me? huh? am I right?

Another first post to talk bad about the coach! Congratulations. Do you feel better about yourself now? I can assure you that we all know Coach Euverard very well and in no way is he watching something on TV and running what he saw. He will do a good job if allowed to. Despite having more talent than in recent years? So, you must be a huge fan that has seen MBA many times. Why come on here and try to belittle a coach if you are such a fan? Sounds like sour grapes to me? huh? am I right?

Hey, no sour grapes. I am just responding to the first post of the thread and telling it like it is. The defense stinks. It simply looks like they don't know what they are doing. How can you argue against that? BA could have scored 35 more points in the second half.

When Coach E was coaching we played 2 defenses (base 50 and goalline). That seemed to work well.

After watching the film of that game I was asking myself if this was really the Big Red???

After watching the film of that game I was asking myself if this was really the Big Red???

I wouldn't be so fast in calling this MBA team/defense out. Sure it has been a rough 3 game span. They played maybe the best team in the country first (Trinity Cincinnati powerhouse Elder 56-7 last week), then they played a poor game against BA. Maybe they were still feeling the effects of the Trinity game, I don't know. But against Baylor they came out, played hard,and should have won the game. They looked like the better team. The defense blew two plays, one blown coverage by the new safety (Blackwell is still hurt)with 2 min left to loose the game. This is a talented team with good leadership, and I think they will bounce back against BGA. I won't be able to go to this one, but am looking forward to watching it via webcast.

I wouldn't be so fast in calling this MBA team/defense out. Sure it has been a rough 3 game span. They played maybe the best team in the country first (Trinity Cincinnati powerhouse Elder 56-7 last week), then they played a poor game against BA. Maybe they were still feeling the effects of the Trinity game, I don't know. But against Baylor they came out, played hard,and should have won the game. They looked like the better team. The defense blew two plays, one blown coverage by the new safety (Blackwell is still hurt)with 2 min left to loose the game. This is a talented team with good leadership, and I think they will bounce back against BGA. I won't be able to go to this one, but am looking forward to watching it via webcast.

Bill Parcells is known for saying you are what your record says you are. MBA was the inferior team vs Trinity and BA. Heck, was it 28-0 or 35-0 at the half vs BA? BA had 2 TDs called back! Love it...playing the best team in the country was the reason Trinity hung 600+ yards on them--but playing a rival, and getting run out of the stadium....poor game, like if they had played the way they were capable of they would have made it competitive.

MBA will get better, they have a good coach and the future is bright. But...they were flat out beat by BA and lost to Baylor...no sense offering excuses of blown plays, etc. That happens to every team every week. Good teams overcome those errors.