Failure of McMinn Central Football: Kids or Coach

SAGINAWFAN

Derrick, and Wilkerson had this program headed in the right direction. From being a 0-10 team then go 6-4, 9-2, 9-2 for his first 3 years isnt too bad. But good ole' "Mcminn Central Politics" made them Both run out of town for better jobs. I dont blame them one bit. Look at all these Monday morning quarterback coaches on here bashing goodin, BEHIND AN ALIAS at that. I wanted to come back to Central and coach but after reading all this stuff on here it makes me want to stay away too! Even when Derrick was doing nothing but winning, there was still pages after pages of what he needs to do, and what he is doing wrong. I'm glad he got a killer job opportunity and took advantage of it, along with Wilkerson. IMO he should have got the head coaching job to begin with after Derrick left, but thats a whole different topic. He is coaching college football now. Until Central gets rid of the "good ole boy" politics they will continue to struggle until they find a proven coach that they will let run his system instead of changing coaches every couple years!

Canadian,

Coach Derrick had the program running in the right direction. I was just one of his assistants that loved my job and worked hard. You should go back to chs as a coach and try to help the programs out. CHS is a good job but football is not as important as a lot of people think it is or as important as it once was. I love CHS but some stuff will never change and that will hold this program back for years. Baseball and basketball have figured it out but the football community is still blind to the facts. All the tops sports programs have Great feeder programs in today's game. Look at Alcoa, Maryville, Polk, CHS women's bball and baseball...etc. I can go on and on. Everybody likes to point back to the old days when Etowah and Englewood both had separate teams and CHS was still good. TIMES HAVE CHANGED!!!! As they say when in Rome do as the Romans. Look around at all the successful programs around East TN and it’s easy to see what CHS football is missing. Coach Goodin is just the figure head that will receive most of the blame as all head coaches do. Some folks get on these msg boards but don’t have a clue what really goes on at CHS!!!

AJW

Smokinote you are so kind and so stupid at same time. Why would anyone be jealous in regards to anything pertaining to Central. Well look at how many teachers the Prin has lost that were Coaches. Maybe the observations should be conducted the same.

As for the AD it does not matter, he has not sent teams to State those individual coaches and Players earned their way there.

Are all sports-teams treated equally and with respect, wait no need to answer that the proof is evident for all to see.Still hard to grasp all those years of Central and only 4 state titles in ALL sports.

If a AD were in place that is not a Coach just an administrator maybe all kids-athletes would have an equal opportunity.

And lastly dont be a hater if your not an athlete and not capable of getting out and performing then dont bash athletics......

I'm curious. Could you please tell me what programs don't get treated equally or with respect? :unsure:

Canadian,

Coach Derrick had the program running in the right direction. I was just one of his assistants that loved my job and worked hard. You should go back to chs as a coach and try to help the programs out. CHS is a good job but football is not as important as a lot of people think it is or as important as it once was. I love CHS but some stuff will never change and that will hold this program back for years. Baseball and basketball have figured it out but the football community is still blind to the facts. All the tops sports programs have Great feeder programs in today's game. Look at Alcoa, Maryville, Polk, CHS women's bball and baseball...etc. I can go on and on. Everybody likes to point back to the old days when Etowah and Englewood both had separate teams and CHS was still good. TIMES HAVE CHANGED!!!! As they say when in Rome do as the Romans. Look around at all the successful programs around East TN and it’s easy to see what CHS football is missing. Coach Goodin is just the figure head that will receive most of the blame as all head coaches do. Some folks get on these msg boards but don’t have a clue what really goes on at CHS!!!

AJW

Great Post AJW

Yes all former athletes should be enspired to go back home and enhance the programs. Strive to make them better than they were while they attended. Have that favorite Coach/Mentor that you looked up to and wish to develop some of the same strategies and ideas as them with adding your own touches.

Derrick did sum good stuff and brought the program around in a total direction: practice fields, off season workouts and pride. How many letter jackets were seen when he came back to CHS...not many. After he left how many kids were wearing them in the school...alot and not just football letters in fact.

If he could have been allowed to do what he invisioned and given the reigns as he wished along with the coaches CHS had...maybe could have been different story.

Maybe Goodin will be allowed to...heck aint like the name is not prevelant in the County and at the HS no doubt.

Well what is the only sport that has got to PRACTICE during the school day and get PE credit for....Basketball.

They have dropped the wrestling teams both Boys and Girls.

Juust off top of my head.

:roflol::roflol::roflol: Well, there you have it folks. Our football team is awful because the basketball team gets to practice during school. Never mind the fact that has been going on since the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor (ever seen Animal House, if not never mind you won't get it.) Call Coach Morgan and tell him to send the gold ball back. He had a unfair advantage, he practiced during school. Call Coach Armstrong and tell him to send back all those district, region and sub stats trophies. He had a unfair advantage, he practiced during school. For the rest of the year the football team will practice during 5th and 6th periods and a winning season is guaranteed...........When I asked the question I knew basketball would be the answer. I just wanted to see the humor and WOW did I see it. :thumb:

:roflol::roflol::roflol: Well, there you have it folks. Our football team is awful because the basketball team gets to practice during school. Never mind the fact that has been going on since the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor (ever seen Animal House, if not never mind you won't get it.) Call Coach Morgan and tell him to send the gold ball back. He had a unfair advantage, he practiced during school. Call Coach Armstrong and tell him to send back all those district, region and sub stats trophies. He had a unfair advantage, he practiced during school. For the rest of the year the football team will practice during 5th and 6th periods and a winning season is guaranteed...........When I asked the question I knew basketball would be the answer. I just wanted to see the humor and WOW did I see it. :thumb:

Funny isn't it...Ha Ha Ha. Seems you are just seeing the things you want to see like so many others. Guess you also just like to change the names to protect the innocent.

You requested info regarding the sports that are not treated equal or given due respect and I stated them. Then you go and Blame the Football lack of success on practicing during school.

If you really want to get technical maybe they should send trophies back. I know for fact they practice set stuff dring PE and when the season is over, wow where is the supervision cause the boys BB players in Pe are all over the place but not in the gym on the court for the rest of the year.

It would be nice for other sports to have the chance topractice during school, make it easier for the athletes and coaches to get home and spend time with family and concentrate on work.

Time to finally look outside the box or sum believe the Gym.

Funny isn't it...Ha Ha Ha. Seems you are just seeing the things you want to see like so many others. Guess you also just like to change the names to protect the innocent.

You requested info regarding the sports that are not treated equal or given due respect and I stated them. Then you go and Blame the Football lack of success on practicing during school.

If you really want to get technical maybe they should send trophies back. I know for fact they practice set stuff dring PE and when the season is over, wow where is the supervision cause the boys BB players in Pe are all over the place but not in the gym on the court for the rest of the year.

It would be nice for other sports to have the chance topractice during school, make it easier for the athletes and coaches to get home and spend time with family and concentrate on work.

Time to finally look outside the box or sum believe the Gym.

"Change the names to protect the innocent." One again, care to explain? : :unsure:

Smokinote you are so kind and so stupid at same time. Why would anyone be jealous in regards to anything pertaining to Central. Well look at how many teachers the Prin has lost that were Coaches. Maybe the observations should be conducted the same.

As for the AD it does not matter, he has not sent teams to State those individual coaches and Players earned their way there.

Are all sports-teams treated equally and with respect, wait no need to answer that the proof is evident for all to see.Still hard to grasp all those years of Central and only 4 state titles in ALL sports.

If a AD were in place that is not a Coach just an administrator maybe all kids-athletes would have an equal opportunity.

And lastly dont be a hater if your not an athlete and not capable of getting out and performing then dont bash athletics......

Doug has coached multiple teams to the state tournament. Crawl in your hole and piss off

Coach Derrick was a good coach with even better timing. He had more talent than Central has had in a long time, and he coached them up and won. Don't believe me about the talent? Look around at some of the kids who played then and who are now playing in some of the small colleges around the state. In my opinion, he saw a combination of dwindling talent and a chance to coach at a bigger, better place and took advantage of the opportunity - anyone would have. Coach Goodin (Baddin? Really? That sounds like something Billy Madison would have said) has come in to a program with less talent, and the results are obvious. Looking at the Goodin family track record, maybe they know just a little about football? I'm just sayin'.

Coach Derrick was a good coach with even better timing. He had more talent than Central has had in a long time, and he coached them up and won. Don't believe me about the talent? Look around at some of the kids who played then and who are now playing in some of the small colleges around the state. In my opinion, he saw a combination of dwindling talent and a chance to coach at a bigger, better place and took advantage of the opportunity - anyone would have. Coach Goodin (Baddin? Really? That sounds like something Billy Madison would have said) has come in to a program with less talent, and the results are obvious. Looking at the Goodin family track record, maybe they know just a little about football? I'm just sayin'.

Yea Farley,You nailed that one.They know just a little about football!14 game losing streak :thumb:

Yea Farley,You nailed that one.They know just a little about football!14 game losing streak :thumb:

2 questions for ya. 1. Are you a Central alum? 2. You claim to be a coach in the past. Where did you coach? (Not trying to start any flack, just like to know the credentials of people who seem to be so smart.)

Edited by 89charger