Failure of McMinn Central Football: Kids or Coach

SAGINAWFAN

Where have you seen Goodin take credit for winning? Central does not have the talent to compete with anyone, I graduated from Central and it is embarassing to see them do so bad. Until Central gets some talent, they will struggle big time no matter who the coach is.

Not in the last 2 years. It is my opinion that kids don't want to play for him. Just my opinion. Also I go back to the fact that on a level playing field (ND) game which we should have won, he found a way to lose. I know that the talent isnt on the team to beat everybody on the schedule but he should win a few.

I have no ties to your program whatso ever. Don't even know were your school is. So my opinion is completly unbiased. My local high school has went through the same thing for almost a decade until last year. We heard all the excuses. No talent. Not enough speed. Not enough players to choose from. First of all football is a team sport. Good sound fundamentals and execution is enough to win you some games. Not saying it will take you to the play offs or anything but thats were it starts. Hard work and the team mentality has to be instilled into the kids. If your youth is not wanting to play that should raise a flag. Like the other poster said some are just not going to play because they have other things they want to or have to do. But if it's cause they don't want to be yelled at constantly or don't want to be on a losing team then that could be a problem that has long term effects. I've heard 2 successful high school coaches say this " players don't lose games coaches do" and "coaches don't win games players do". You have to remember these are still kids. Allot more than winning and losing should be taught in high school sports. We hired a new coach last year and efforts were made by the community to remove outside political influence from the program so he could do his thing. His first year we went to the play offs. Not only that but watching the team execute and play hard was like watching a different bunch of kids. They had it in them all along. He just knew how to bring it out. This year were lookin even better. Not only has the kids learned allot but I think us fans have too. Were proud of our boys win our lose. Cause they work hard and have class win or lose. They represent our community well. Thanks to a coach who taught them how to do that. That's my 2 cents. Take it how you may.

At least he puts himself out there to be criticized- all head coaches do. I don't care if you give up posting. I honestly don't care if you ever quit bashing the coaches. But if your hate and disgust is this strong, you ought to be brave enough to AT LEAST attach your real name to it. Heaven forbid you actually go on record and meet with school officials or the staff themselves.

Who is the mysterious ballcoach93? The question that all are wondering?

I put you in the same class as coach Baddin. Most of these kids have heard from people like YOU that they have no talent, too young, etc...... So, you think it's ok for a teacher/coach (adult) to cuss teenagers (students/players)? Your rite I can't take it out of school,but my child doesn't hear it at home and shouldn't have to listen to it school from his elders!! I have known coach most of my life, he wasn't raised to treat kids this way.

:roflol::roflol: I hope your son never plays college sports, because I can tell you now they will talk to you how they want to and if you dont like it.. Hit the road. And yes I mean cuss at you right in your face. Ask me how I know. :mrgreen: Truth be known, your kid that doesnt hear that stuff at home is cussing like a sailor around his friends. Come into reality, these kids are 16-18 years old. Quit acting like they are so sheltered and never heard a cuss word.

Edited by canadian

:roflol::roflol: I hope your son never plays college sports, because I can tell you now they will talk to you how they want to and if you dont like it.. Hit the road. And yes I mean cuss at you right in your face. Ask me how I know. :mrgreen: Truth be known, your kid that doesnt hear that stuff at home is cussing like a sailor around his friends. Come into reality, these kids are 16-18 years old. Quit acting like they are so sheltered and never heard a cuss word.

Thank you canadian. If you are worried about your child hearing a cuss word from a coach you might as well take him out of all sports and never worry about him playing in college. You're questioning his character because the man cusses? Really? Maybe that is where the problems lie, parents not making their children mentally strong enough to handle actual coaching. :popcorneater:

It's got nothing to do with whether they hear it at school or home. It's got everything to do with the fact that a public school emplyee is directing those words at his players like they are some old mule that won't plow straight. A player can only take so much abuse before they say. "Forget it." I'm sorry that you think it is okay and acceptable for an authority figure to use that kind of language toward kids....it's not. A great coach that I know said, "They've got to know how much you care, before they care how much you know."

I am a coach and our school system is very clear....if you are caught using curse words around kids in practice or in games, you are gone. Period. Your coaching career is done. We are a public school with two state championships last year and the cast majority of our sports (all except one) went to the state tournament.

I was never cursed at by a coach. I was an athlete in high school and college. My friends cursed but never a coach.

Point is.....don't let yourself believe that a lack of vocabulary and poor judgment are the hallmark of "good" coaching or that "everybody" does it.

Here we go again. Same ole McMinn Central politics. People around CHS football will never be happy. When the football team is good, it’s all because great players with no coaching or discipline. Then when the program is down, it’s all because the coaching is bad.

It's got nothing to do with whether they hear it at school or home. It's got everything to do with the fact that a public school emplyee is directing those words at his players like they are some old mule that won't plow straight. A player can only take so much abuse before they say. "Forget it." I'm sorry that you think it is okay and acceptable for an authority figure to use that kind of language toward kids....it's not. A great coach that I know said, "They've got to know how much you care, before they care how much you know."

I am a coach and our school system is very clear....if you are caught using curse words around kids in practice or in games, you are gone. Period. Your coaching career is done. We are a public school with two state championships last year and the cast majority of our sports (all except one) went to the state tournament.

I was never cursed at by a coach. I was an athlete in high school and college. My friends cursed but never a coach.

Point is.....don't let yourself believe that a lack of vocabulary and poor judgment are the hallmark of "good" coaching or that "everybody" does it.

I agree I am saying that cussing happens cussing at a kid is a different story. I do not think it is acceptable to be repeatedly cussed by a coach but once or twice every now and then so be it. I didn't say it made him a "good" coach but now it is nearly impossible to find someone that does not cuss, coaches get frustrated and cuss it happens. Players definitely cuss much much more almost every player will cuss frequently with the exception of a very few.

The question at hand is Coach or Kids?? As with most things the answer probably lies somewhere in the middle. You cannot expect to compete in the game of football if you are outweighed on the O-line 20lbs per man. A player can play as hard as he can but in the game of football the guy that is playing just as hard with the 20 lb advantage is going to win EVERYTIME. Go back to the last long losing streak that central had in the early 2000's. Their linemen were tiny and the team couldn't compete. Futhermore, if you think central has good athletes, then you are not looking at their personnel objectively. It's not a knock on the kids at all it is a simple fact. They have no athletes.

The question the coach has to answer is how to fix the current situation. Does he need to hit the halls and try to talk more kids into playing??? Football takes dedication year around, and if these "players" that aren't playing truley in their heart wanted to play, they would be out there. I also find it ridiculous for someone to question a coaches choice of words as a reason the team is succeeding or not succeeding. Canadian is spot on this one. Go to college and play a sport and you will think your first name is a cuss word if you go to some schools.

Maybe its not the kids or the coach, maybe its the parents. You can get on here and read excuse after excuse from central fans. When little johnny goes home and hears mom and dad blaming everyone in the world then how is the player supposed to think any different???? Even former players get on here and try to justify quitting. justification = excuse and EXCUSES ARE FOR LOSERS.

The central program will get turned around when the parents, players, and coaches ALL take RESPONSIBILITY for making the program a success.

Here we go again. Same ole McMinn Central politics. People around CHS football will never be happy. When the football team is good, it’s all because great players with no coaching or discipline. Then when the program is down, it’s all because the coaching is bad.

AJW, Doesnt this make you LOVE what you're doing? :thumb: They could have Nick Saban as the coach at Mcminn Central and you would still having these no name cowards on here bashing him. The ones on here bashing Goodin, act like "best friends" when they are around him and probably the biggest Kiss @$$ around.

Canadian and ajw it is good to see that you two are still alive and reading Coacht. Everyone leave Coach Goodin alone and let him do his job. He don't come to your place of employment and cuss at you or tell you to work harder, but maybe he should. I love all the advice that every armchair quarterback has for every high school coach. If you win by 1, people want to know why your offense or defense struggled. If you lose by 30, they say it is just awful coaching and the program is horrible. Like I used to say and still do in a different area, "opinions are like butt holes, everybody has one and they generally all stink." What Goodin probably needs to do is take in all this great and bad advice and work somewhere in the middle or just lay low and keep on keeping on! Hope the Chargers rebuild and rebound! Continue to work hard and good things will happen it may just take some time. What everyone could do is blame it on Coach Derrick because he is no longer there and left the place in disarray!

Canadian and ajw it is good to see that you two are still alive and reading Coacht. Everyone leave Coach Goodin alone and let him do his job. He don't come to your place of employment and cuss at you or tell you to work harder, but maybe he should. I love all the advice that every armchair quarterback has for every high school coach. If you win by 1, people want to know why your offense or defense struggled. If you lose by 30, they say it is just awful coaching and the program is horrible. Like I used to say and still do in a different area, "opinions are like butt holes, everybody has one and they generally all stink." What Goodin probably needs to do is take in all this great and bad advice and work somewhere in the middle or just lay low and keep on keeping on! Hope the Chargers rebuild and rebound! Continue to work hard and good things will happen it may just take some time. What everyone could do is blame it on Coach Derrick because he is no longer there and left the place in disarray!

Good to see your still browsing through the boards! I got lost for awhile and wanted to check in to see this mess. Hope all is well with you. And I cant remember how many times times I heard that ole saying. Hope your team is having a good year, and the family is doing good!