Question for Admiralglascow

bigbluevolley

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks PHargis for your input, but what I'm really looking for are thoughts on how other schools keep assist stats..And if anyone from the knoxville area knows why the FHS coach does it this way..

Then ask the question and likely you will get an answer but this is not the first question this has been asked and if you read my first post, or tried to, you will find out that with about 350 schools, consistancy with coaching turnover and with the number of people keeping stats, there are going to be many ways stats will be kept or for that matter not be kept. The premise of your whole question in the beginning was not right. Ask the coach. She likely will not know what you are talking about when you ask about stats for a personal player or for that matter at this time of the year being able to come up with a personalized, custom, set of stats. Talk to the coach and she MIGHT work on it for next year. BBV, right now shes working her ---- off just trying to get ready for all of these Tournaments. I have one other thought, your premise was the State gives awards. I answered that also earlier. If they gave awards and I havent heard of that but if you want to call the TSSAA and talk to them about it they will discuss it for sure becasue if they did, they certainly would have specific ways to keep up with and record the technical aspects of the game. These are state records and not the way local records are kept if there are any and it looks, by what I've seen and know, someone is going to have to spend a lot of time to substantiate anything because these would not be individual yearly records but records that go back for many years so to break a record likely would be a very very high number. Talk to your coach. Or if you would like go to the TSSAA.org web site and search for records. Edited by PHargis

The answer is simple, either the coach doesn't know the rules or she does and she is cheating.

Whats worse is that the person keeping the 'Stats" is probably the mother.

This is a sad commentary on a once proud program. Coach Moore would have never let this happen.

Is the AD going to address this, or slip it under the rug because Farragut is having a good year? Lets hope he shows some integrity and does what is right.

Its one thing to play a girl, or give her more sets, over a more deserving player because that only affects your own team. What type of message does it send to lie about stats? These are high school girls. Coach Davidson is a teacher. What are you teaching? That its ok to lie?

Look at where it got Bruce Pearl and the Ohio State football coach.

Sad day for high school sports. A question for the Farragut fans that post on here. Is anything going to be done, or is everybody ok that this type of thing is going on?

I agree! I think PH is trying to deflect what the Farragut coach did which is to artificially inflate stats for her player. That is not right, under any scenerio.

PH if this were siegel would it be ok?

Farragut loses to Soddy Daisy and its the fans fault.

The coach counts pre-season scrimmages and play days in the win loss record.

Now she makes up stats to make some of her players out to be something they are not. This is serious.

PH you are acting like this only affects college scholarships or state records, and you are wrong. This is about character.

Everyone knows that making up stats to give to the paper is a lie. However, once it gets printed people read it and believe it. The paper then puts her on the all KIL team because of this stat. That costs someone a spot, but more important it sends a message to the Farragut team that it is OK to get awards based on made up stats. Its like lying on a resume to get a job.

How can you justify this? These are high school kids.

The answer is simple, either the coach doesn't know the rules or she does and she is cheating.

Whats worse is that the person keeping the 'Stats" is probably the mother.

This is a sad commentary on a once proud program. Coach Moore would have never let this happen.

Is the AD going to address this, or slip it under the rug because Farragut is having a good year? Lets hope he shows some integrity and does what is right.

Its one thing to play a girl, or give her more sets, over a more deserving player because that only affects your own team. What type of message does it send to lie about stats? These are high school girls. Coach Davidson is a teacher. What are you teaching? That its ok to lie?

Look at where it got Bruce Pearl and the Ohio State football coach.

Sad day for high school sports. A question for the Farragut fans that post on here. Is anything going to be done, or is everybody ok that this type of thing is going on?

ORCAT...You are totally correct. Couldn't have said it better..How funny is it that noone from Farragut has replied to either of the two topics. Is silence guilt??????

I had never heard of Farragut volleyball until I started reading the posts of their coach and fans on this site. The team I saw was average. Now I think everything I read was alie.

Coach should be reprimanded, suspended at the least, in Chattanooga she would be fired.

I agree with the other posters that this is shameful. How can this be ethical? What sort of school lets this go on? If this were football and the coach was caught making up stats there would be a new coach in a hurry.

I liked the setter when I saw her. If she and her mom are involved in this.....?

I agree! I think PH is trying to deflect what the Farragut coach did which is to artificially inflate stats for her player. That is not right, under any scenerio.

Now she makes up stats to make some of her players out to be something they are not. This is serious.

PH you are acting like this only affects college scholarships or state records, and you are wrong. This is about character.

Everyone knows that making up stats to give to the paper is a lie. However, once it gets printed people read it and believe it. The paper then puts her on the all KIL team because of this stat. That costs someone a spot, but more important it sends a message to the Farragut team that it is OK to get awards based on made up stats. Its like lying on a resume to get a job.

This is the last time I will quote on this and many who have posted basically have good points. Its as basic as right or wrong on information or any other things. Records are basicly someones opinion when its observed. But obvservations on this site is the same way. Last year, on this site in this same District it was pick on the Karns Coach year and some of these same posters tried to tear down a Coach becasue of her record and finally going to the State Tournament. She ignored it after the TSSAA was brought in, an investigation was held and as I read the results, nothing was done. There was no infraction. I have to believe if the TSSAA investigates someone, they better be clean. You can disagree with the rule but don't mess with the implemention if it was done properly. Immediately after the District was settled very little was said about the issue and what was interesting to me nothing has been said this year.

Some of these same posters provided erroneous information about personal matters at another school which as coaches pay, etc. And many got on this site disputing the information about that and other information. Now this year we have an issue on Stats of the Coach of another winner of the District supposedly rigging information that is subsequently put in the paper.

As I mentioned to Posters last year, go to the TSSAA and give them your information. No one knows what is going on in this District but the TSSAA could find nothing wrong in the findings at one of their meetings that was published on this thread.

Same District, some of the same posters, questioning stats and i guess some of the other information out of another school who has won the District and the way a coach operates. How can anyone on this site agree or disagree with anything that is said. Now its gotten in to accusing and naming a player who is thought not to have some correct stats. In this State, I am glad I don't even know who this is nor until I looked it up did not know who the coach was.

For those who follow this thread and its owner and the rest of those who post on here, it is imperfect. And just like coaches get students to put down information on specific stats by matches, they are human and make mistakes and hopefully coaches use stats for their own purposes and reasons and factor error percentages in anything they do. Some posters have quoted coaches for saying things about stats that could or could not be true. Maybe it is and maybe its a misunderstanding. But at this point, University Coaches, this continues to happen no matter the winner.

All are imperfect whos work with stats thru the year and it should be realized that films of matches should be looked at to verify claims made.

Every year, claims are made which never show up in any record book because they cant be verified but doesnt mean they are or are not true. University Coaches do not necessarily use stats to give scholarships. There are too many other variables. As in other years, an outward appearance is schlorships is the reason for all of this posting. However some thoughts cannot be disputed as far as universial concepts.

Now if someone wants to post the universial set of rules that everyone uses in the United States, it can be looked at to see if there is any disagreement.

Oracat, just like last year can you prove anything you have said.

Its just like last year. If you disagree with whats done, write a letter to the TSSAA and make a complaint. If you are a parent, go to your schools Principal. Who can disagree with a lot of what you have said idealisticly. Can you prove what your are saying. If so, contact the TSSAA. Why do things like this show up at the end of each year and why not at the first? If it would make you feel better, name names of all you feel are misrepresenting stats. Ignorance likely is the reason and not something intentional. I have not seen many stats this year posted to make a difference simply because totals are not generally in. Those that have been posted by match sometimes have some questionable information on it. I cant believe that all of the schools in a District are misrepresenting their stats. Go to the TSSAA or your principal.

Edited by PHargis

I have not posted for several weeks because of my relationship with several of the Farragut families. The only issue for this thread has to do with the posting of false stats in the paper.

Mr. Hargis, the TSSAA won't get involved in this type of situation because it falls outside of what they control. Please don't encourage people to go to the TSSAA on issues that they shouldn't be involved in.

There is no rule that prohibits a coach from making up false stats. It is an ethical consideration. As the CAK fans have pointed out, this is happening. Just look at the paper. Also, the fact that the regular Farragut fans that visit this cite are being silent shouldn't be considered as anything beyond embarassment.

I don't see how anyone can defend this type of behavior. It is unfair to the setter and the team to put false information out there. This isn't a dating web site!!!

This is a matter for the Farragut AD and the principal and no one else, especially not the TSSAA. If the parents have a problem let them handle internaly. There are some great girls playing for Farragut, they shouldn't have to worry about this. If the school and the parents are ok with publishing false stats then that is their decision.

Wow, just now getting ITT and I don't know where to start.

If the stats in question we're derived from the Farragut Press Enterprise then they were recorded by Alan Sloan, the sports editor for that paper. I replied in another thread on the same topic and said that it could have a been a typo too.

As for the "500th win" thing, there is no way that Coach Davidson has even 500 set wins as this is only her second year as a coach. And that leads in to the fact that she is learning the game as she goes, so she may not know what constitutes an assist, kill, block, dig, or any other statistical category.

But honestly who cares? Its a number that gets printed in the paper, and anyone who knows anything about volleyball should be able to decipher an inflated stat as unrealistic. This is not a big deal and should not be a 3 page topic.

Stats are for losers imo and they're a great way of predicting the past, not the future. Stats don't mean a thing if your W-L column is heavy on the L side becuase this is a team sport. And Farragut's W-L column is certainly not heavy on the L's which is probably why so many shots are being taken at them.

Announcements