Is it OK to lie about stats?

orcat

On a companion post a CAK coach and parent pointed out that the Farragut coach is making up stats (saying that the setter had 60 assists when she had less than 10) and then sending them to the papers.

Is that acceptable?

Doesn't it send wrong the message to the players? How is this different than cheating?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a companion post a CAK coach and parent pointed out that the Farragut coach is making up stats (saying that the setter had 60 assists when she had less than 10) and then sending them to the papers.

Is that acceptable?

Doesn't it send wrong the message to the players? How is this different than cheating?

i herad some chatter between parents and stats keeper." we shouldn't be hard on our girls the better stats help them get recurited" so with liberal stats scouts are looking at them or they are getting extra name recognition. just a theroy does it work idk is it right in previous posting stats way out line. was it realy a kill, or was it realy a block or an error???

Edited by forgetfulcub

i herad some chatter between parents and stats keeper." we shouldn't be hard on our girls the better stats help them get recurited" so with liberal stats scouts are looking at them or they are getting extra name recognition. just a theroy does it work idk is it right in previous posting stats way out line. was it realy a kill, or was it realy a block or an error???

If you truly feel this way and if there are others that feel this way this state will never be a superior volleyball state. I'm sorry but, no you shouldn't give girls false stats. There is a nation wide rule on how to keep stats. It's pretty much universal. Everyone that knows anything about volleyball knows the rules. By the way..Scouts know the rules too. They know that there is no way for any setter to average 50 assist in a season. Falsifying states will actually hurt your chances at being recruited. That's FACT! It's really unfortunate you feel this way..Oh and by the way. There is no comment on the other similar thread by a CAK coach..

Edited by bigbluevolley

If you truly feel this way and if there are others that feel this way this state will never be a superior volleyball state. I'm sorry but, no you shouldn't give girls false stats. There is a nation wide rule on how to keep stats. It's pretty much universal. Everyone that knows anything about volleyball knows the rules. By the way..Scouts know the rules too. They know that there is no way for any setter to average 50 assist in a season. Falsifying states will actually hurt your chances at being recruited. That's FACT! It's really unfortunate you feel this way..Oh and by the way. There is no comment on the other similar thread by a CAK coach..

not my theroy just what i heard setting in the stands. you are right bigbule pumped stats will disapoint someone when they see you play for real.

more than half the coaches have no idea how to keep stats, or what certain stats are. I read articles all the time that indicate more assists in the game then points. Or a team that has 14 blocks in a match..which is highly unlikely. I think it is more ignorance then anything.

i realy dont think head coach is keeping stats during the game. who ever they have appointed either parnet or other coach may be keeping stats that doesn't understand the rules. if coach is blatantly changing stats shame on them.keeping stats is like reffing some like the out come while othrs don't. there are always more than one oppion about the play. also sounds like some knoxvegas coaches just don't have enough love for eachother. :wub:

Everyone in Knoxville that follows volleyball knows who is keeping stats for Farragut. Volleyball stats are not rocket science.....it happens to be quite easy. The head coach is in charge of everything pertaining to the program. If she is not overseeing what goes out to the paper that is irresponsible. If she is and allows bogus stats to go out to the paper she should be fired. A good rule of thumb, for any program, would be to NOT have mothers of players keep stats.

I wouldn't go as far as to say its cheating because it doesn't effect the outcome of the match. And for the record this is a rumor and and cannot be confirmed. Could have a been a typo too. That behavior, if true, is pretty lame and I do not condone, but its not hurting anybody. Falsely reporting a score would be a bigger deal imo.

Everyone in Knoxville that follows volleyball knows who is keeping stats for Farragut. Volleyball stats are not rocket science.....it happens to be quite easy. The head coach is in charge of everything pertaining to the program. If she is not overseeing what goes out to the paper that is irresponsible. If she is and allows bogus stats to go out to the paper she should be fired. A good rule of thumb, for any program, would be to NOT have mothers of players keep stats.

I was told at the beginning of the season that Farragut's coach was going to record and report stats based on film of the match. I don't know if this is still being done, but I am almost positive that the stats that are kept at the table are not the ones that are reported to the media.

I'll throw this out there too...what is a better rule of thumb? No parent stat keepers? or No parent line judges? I have seen some very blatantly bad calls this season made by parents.

I wouldn't go as far as to say its cheating because it doesn't effect the outcome of the match. And for the record this is a rumor and and cannot be confirmed. Could have a been a typo too. That behavior, if true, is pretty lame and I do not condone, but its not hurting anybody. Falsely reporting a score would be a bigger deal imo.

AG..first of all....where have you been. I knew that you were the only one that would be close with the answer. Just to update you. These stats are in the paper. The stats have been in the paper for most every FHS volleyball game. That is how people saw them. This is not a rumor. I wish it was. I went back and looked at alot of them and sure enough they are in the paper under volleyball scores. It's actually getting pretty funny now.

Announcements