DII AA Officiating - Baylor vs Hutchison

ElDel

Haven't posted this year but finally had to let off a little steam over the inconsistent and biased up ref officiating in DII AA this year. This weekend's Baylor vs Hutchison game tested my limits. But first, I want to note that Hutchison did not play their best game at Baylor and may not have won even with unbiased officiating from the up ref, but it is grossly unfair to the young ladies who work extremely hard at the game of volleyball to take away their chance at victory via an up ref who isn't going to call the violations the same on both sides of the net. It all started when Hutchison's coach received a yellow card on the 2nd point of the 1st set. Yes, I said the 2nd point. No conversation with the Captain, no warning, up ref simply pulled the card out of his pocket and put Hutchinson's coach on the bench for the 1st set. Later on, one of the line judges told the Hutchison coaches the yellow card was unfair. So much for unity among the officials. Shortly thereafter, Hutchison's coach was warned for "talking to much". So not only does he have to sit down during the set, now he can't even talk to his team. Through all this, Baylor's coach was up off her bench, talking to her players on and off the court, basically coaching up a storm. Would have been nice if the up ref had allowed the Hutchison coach to do the same. Throughout the match, Hutchison was called for net, double hits and the usual violations. However, very few, if any violations were called against Baylor until the third set (even though Baylor had similar double hits, lifts and net violations throughout the 1st 2 sets). I'm not saying the calls against Hutchison were not warranted, I'm saying the up ref knowingly chose to not make the same call against Baylor. While an exciting match, both teams had many unforced errors and sloppy play at times. This typically translates into both teams having violations, but rarely did the whistle blow against Baylor. This was a game between 2 well matched teams and Baylor deserves credit for the win, but to have the up official "ensure" the victory shows a total lack of respect for the young ladies on both sides of the net. They have a right to win or lose the match on their own, and a right to unbiased and consistent officiating. Best of luck to Baylor, they have a very good team and will give the others fits at state.

UMMMM, where was this match played, Memphis or Chattanooga? I have seen numerous yellow cards but they were "motivational" yellow cards mostly or "change the tempo" yellow's. You're right, something else was going on there. Someone could have not wanted to travel or miss school or just a miss understanding. Don't wait so long not to post. CheckerboardEnzones has been on very little this year and we miss her.

Dont feel bad. The officials at Seigle high were very bad. The up and down refs missed several double sets and I witnessed three yellow cards in one day. The line judges got several calls wrong and one judge missed a foot fault that every parent in the gym saw. I have line judged before and it is sometimes hard to see everything, but a foot fAult is easy to spot because it is the only thing happening at the time. I think the problem with the line judges is that all year they have been up and down refs. Now they have been put on the line and they have forgotten how to do it. Send them to school and teach them how before they judge state trny games. The TSSAA probably does not care but come on. Give these kids a break and do something about this. It's hard enough to compete at this level. At least they should not have't to compete against poor officials.

Dont feel bad. The officials at Seigle high were very bad. The up and down refs missed several double sets and I witnessed three yellow cards in one day. The line judges got several calls wrong and one judge missed a foot fault that every parent in the gym saw. I have line judged before and it is sometimes hard to see everything, but a foot fAult is easy to spot because it is the only thing happening at the time. I think the problem with the line judges is that all year they have been up and down refs. Now they have been put on the line and they have forgotten how to do it. Send them to school and teach them how before they judge state trny games. The TSSAA probably does not care but come on. Give these kids a break and do something about this. It's hard enough to compete at this level. At least they should not have't to compete against poor officials.

I totally agree with the refs forgetting how to line judge. I really thought having the "professional" line judges would be nice, but after the first set of our district tournament, I realized us parents usually do it better. And for the most part, more fair.

It seems refing has seen a decline in Chattanooga and in all parts of the state this year. Most likely from needing 2 ref's for each game instead of 1. I was also told by a parent that at St Benedict in Memphis they did not supply official line judges for the sub state match with GPS. They used parents for line judges and at a sub state game the coach should of protested the match. We were told when hosting you must use 2 non-school related line judges by TSSAA. They also said the refing was worse then in Chattanooga. I guess it depends on if you win or lose.

From what I've seen during regular season until the State, the officials were exceptional with excepting on one District match and even it was not really bad. State tournament matches generally were not too good and I can attribute it to not having seen most of the officials who were officiating. Likely there is another problem which needs to be considered.

Volleyball, as a game in Tennessee, has changed quite a bit. The game is much faster than it has been 4 years ago, three years ago, two years ago, last year, and it is super fast this year with no chances of slowing down a bit. It gets harder and harder and more difficult to keep up with. It is obvious that Coaches intentionally are coaching harder. Unless officiating keeps up with the game generally, it is going to be an embarasssment to the sport. There is a few very good officials in the State. They are a pleasure to watch. At least, the up's should be very competant. Yellow cards given within a few points of the start of a match with no warning building up frustrations so that others have to be given is so ridiculous it needs to be examined. Some have said that the adminsitration of the way officials are trained have lost their way and it has started hurting the game and will do further harm if it continues. The problem seems to be the matches are faster than some of the officials are able to follow and frustration seems to be on both ends, the coaches and the officials. Both are not enemies but right now both are not exactly trying to find a way to get the matches finished efficiently. The game is faster. The extra official was supposed to help. The extra money was supposed to help. throwing money at things is not the answer. Some officials make more than coaches and they need to be able to handle the job expertly. Administration may have lost its way in the personnel end also. They may be winning the battle and losing the war. This all is not a money issue.

It seems refing has seen a decline in Chattanooga and in all parts of the state this year. Most likely from needing 2 ref's for each game instead of 1. I was also told by a parent that at St Benedict in Memphis they did not supply official line judges for the sub state match with GPS. They used parents for line judges and at a sub state game the coach should of protested the match. We were told when hosting you must use 2 non-school related line judges by TSSAA. They also said the refing was worse then in Chattanooga. I guess it depends on if you win or lose.

My understanding is that it is not required in the first two rounds. Most schools do bring in 2 referee's to be line judges to avoid controversy. Its a small fee to do this and since you can take it out of the match proceeds (which is divided evenly between the 2 schools and TSSAA after expenses), it typically does not end up coming out of the schools pocket.

Our school had 2 for the 1st RD game (they were subject to availability though) and Baylor provided 2 for the State Quarterfinal.

My understanding for the for SBA is that they only had an R1 and R2 as you mentioned. I am not sure if this was an oversight, lack of availability, or just plain not wanting too. I do know that they did have 1 SBA and 1 GPS parent on the line instead of having 2 from SBA.

Announcements