Henry County at Rossview

QBClubPrez

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HC fan you left out the 2008 team, you think that one would not have been competitive with this team or one in the 80s. LOL they were pretty good, I fear the same weakness still on this team that the one in 2008 had, and it is a poor kicking game, very inconsistent. Hillsboros kicking game that year was the difference.

No I didn't forget about the 2008 team. I just think this team is better due to the defense and the offensive line. That team sure was fun to watch though !!!!!!

HC fan you left out the 2008 team, you think that one would not have been competitive with this team or one in the 80s. LOL they were pretty good, I fear the same weakness still on this team that the one in 2008 had, and it is a poor kicking game, very inconsistent. Hillsboros kicking game that year was the difference.

to my recollection...a Henry County "chop block" penalty was the "only" difference in that game at Hillsboro. Are we not talking about the Semi-final game at Hillsboro?

So you think the kicking game was the reason our defense simply couldn't stop Hillsboro? Keep in mind we were down 2 touchdowns late in that game until Marsalis returned a kick for a touchdown to pull us within a score. In short, we lost to one of the fastest, most athletic teams I've ever seen in all my years of watching HS football. The kicking game is not why we lost that one.

Also, I don't remember our kicking game being a weakness at all in 2008. Smith and Onate were excellent kickers if I recall correctly.

Edited by RedSwarm10

So you think the kicking game was the reason our defense simply couldn't stop Hillsboro? Keep in mind we were down 2 touchdowns late in that game until Marsalis returned a kick for a touchdown to pull us within a score. In short, we lost to one of the fastest, most athletic teams I've ever seen in all my years of watching HS football. The kicking game is not why we lost that one.

Also, I don't remember our kicking game being a weakness at all in 2008. Smith and Onate were excellent kickers if I recall correctly.

Didn't we also hit a 40 something yard field goal that game?

Didn't we also hit a 40 something yard field goal that game?

42 yds to be exact! 2008 was one of the years the kicking game was above average, Hooper was the punter and Daquilla was the kicker who ended the season 73-80 on PAT's and 3-5 on FG's. That was one of the main reasons we didnt go into overtime at Melrose that year. We were 4-4 on PAT's and they had to go for two everytime. Coaching calls in the kicking game is what contributed to the loss at Hillsboro. We kicked the ball deep all year and Robbie Gallimore, Martez Teague, Brandon French, Shonte Sims, Deonte Nored, and a slew of other Patriots swarmed the kick returners all year. Many turnovers came to us that year as a result of the kickoff team! The coaches were so worried about Eric Gordon back there returning kicks they changed the whole approach. As a matter of fact, the only quarter we lost in that game was the 2nd qtr. We outscored Hillsboro in the 1,3, & 4th qtrs! Marsalis owned Gordon all night as well! He beat him on our first TD run of the game, threw a pass for a TD to the guy Gordon was covering, and intercepted a pass while covering him on defense! It didnt help that we lost one of our starting senior offensive linemen to a freak injury just a day before that game, which also happened to be the first game Andrew Jelks started as a freshman.

Edited by NicD91

Cold wet night in Clarksville.How will the conditions affect tonight's outcome?There is still much at stake for the patriots: undefeated season, overall #1 seed, homefield advantage through the playoffs. Hoping and praying for an injury free game.Can't quite put aside the bad memory of our last game there,also on a wet field.

GO BIG RED

42 yds to be exact! 2008 was one of the years the kicking game was above average, Hooper was the punter and Daquilla was the kicker who ended the season 73-80 on PAT's and 3-5 on FG's. That was one of the main reasons we didnt go into overtime at Melrose that year. We were 4-4 on PAT's and they had to go for two everytime. Coaching calls in the kicking game is what contributed to the loss at Hillsboro. We kicked the ball deep all year and Robbie Gallimore, Martez Teague, Brandon French, Shonte Sims, Deonte Nored, and a slew of other Patriots swarmed the kick returners all year. Many turnovers came to us that year as a result of the kickoff team! The coaches were so worried about Eric Gordon back there returning kicks they changed the whole approach. As a matter of fact, the only quarter we lost in that game was the 2nd qtr. We outscored Hillsboro in the 1,3, & 4th qtrs! Marsalis owned Gordon all night as well! He beat him on our first TD run of the game, threw a pass for a TD to the guy Gordon was covering, and intercepted a pass while covering him on defense! It didnt help that we lost one of our starting senior offensive linemen to a freak injury just a day before that game, which also happened to be the first game Andrew Jelks started as a freshman.

Also, our right guard, Josh Clark, had severely sprained his ankle on a wet practice field three days before and consequently was playing on one leg.Marteese Allen was incompletely recovered from a high ankle sprain that had kept him out of all the playoff games up to then.

Although this was a very good Hillsboro team, I've never thought it was as good as the team that totally dismantled us in 2006.

GO BIG RED